blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:18:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272586 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Would YOU have played this hand?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would YOU have played this hand?  (Read 4864 times)
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »

Re ship all in on Flop.

why is that a better play ? still putting 19 million chips in a pot with a small pair and a flush draw , granted its better than the turn push , but its hardly WSOP ME final table quality play is it ?

why even bother with the call in the first place ? he's deep stacked already . why get involved with shit like that.
 he was'nt playing an online donkament , it was the biggest game of poker in history , and he made himself look like a fool imo.

I think the point of his call, is the fact he is so deep.  He wont be calling if he's short.  If he can hit the right flop, he can double through and probably win the whole thing.

I would c/r the flop to 5.5m or 6m tbh.
AdamG

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 01:28:22 PM »

Re ship all in on Flop.

why is that a better play ? still putting 19 million chips in a pot with a small pair and a flush draw , granted its better than the turn push , but its hardly WSOP ME final table quality play is it ?

why even bother with the call in the first place ? he's deep stacked already . why get involved with shit like that.
 he was'nt playing an online donkament , it was the biggest game of poker in history , and he made himself look like a fool imo.

I think the point of his call, is the fact he is so deep.  He wont be calling if he's short.  If he can hit the right flop, he can double through and probably win the whole thing.

then he reshoves with AK and u are either losing whole tourny or several million Smiley

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=36782.0
Alias' >>> DeeohDoubleG - PokerStars    adamg001/TrustinMe - DTD    Garvey001 - FullTilt <<<
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 01:28:24 PM »

Re ship all in on Flop.

But if he pushes, you lose 1/3rd of your stack because you can't call the all-in.

I don't hate check/calling the flop and turn to be honest. Yang didn't pass many hands so there's little point in trying to blow him out of the pot.

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 01:45:43 PM »

Re ship all in on Flop.

then he reshoves with AK and u are either losing whole tourny or several million Smiley

Hindsights a beautiful thing isn't it.
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »

But if he pushes, you lose 1/3rd of your stack because you can't call the all-in.

I don't hate check/calling the flop and turn to be honest. Yang didn't pass many hands so there's little point in trying to blow him out of the pot.

I believe it was Hilm who said that the first time he had sat with Yang was from the final 10. So he wouldn't have had this knowledge. 

But a c/r on the flop is better then a turn r/r all in.  As he can find out if he has the hand that can call his turn shove all in.
BigTomatoes

play your part

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 03:39:38 PM »

a pre flop fold is better than all of the above.

is it cold in his shadow ?
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »

Nit.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 05:20:19 PM »

For me successful tournament play is all about situations.

It is important to recognise the situation you are in as a whole and then assess each individual hand/situation and decide if this will favourably contribute to your overall progress.

Phillip Hilm's general tournament position is FAVOURABLE. He is currently 3rd in chips.

The size of his chipstack is FAVOURABLE. He has almost 20 million in chips when the blinds are just 100k-200k.

The magnitude of the tournament and size of the prize pool are exceedingly FAVOURABLE.

The standard at the table is not great and this is FAVOURABLE for a player of Hilm's capabilities.

So this is the general tournament situation Phillip Hilm finds himself in. In order to maintain the status quo and ideally progress through the event and build a bigger stack it is essential to enter gambling situations that are FAVOURABLE.

So let's take a look at this hand pre-flop.

Phillip Hilm does not raise...he calls a raise. UNFAVOURABLE SITUATION.

Phillip Hilm will not have the benefit of position on his opponent. UNFAVOURABLE SITUATION.

Phillip Hilm is playing a pot with one of only two other players that can knock him out. UNFAVOURABLE SITUATION.

On top of all this he doesn't even have a very promising hand which is clearly UNFAVOURABLE.

Suited connectors work well in multi-way pots. Hilm will be heads-up in this one. UNFAVOURABLE.

I think once the flop comes down the damage is already done and there are going to be a number of different, but ultimately unsuccessful ways, Hilm can get his money in here. But there's no doubt his money will go in.

When your general tournament situation is FAVOURABLE you must look for FAVOURABLE situations to get involved. This will only serve to strengthen your overall tournament position. However, if you opt to enter into UNFAVOURABLE situations then your downfall may be just around the corner.

With 3 shorter-stacked limpers calling on the button with    is distinctly more favourable than this. Same player, same chip-stack, same tournament, same cards......just a different SITUATION.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:29:14 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
BigTomatoes

play your part

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 05:35:54 PM »

Nit.

i'd rather be a nit sitting comforatbly and dangerous at the WSOP final table than scratching my head on the sideline after going from first to worst because i fell in love with suited connectors.

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 05:55:52 PM »

Nit.

i'd rather be a nit sitting comforatbly and dangerous at the WSOP final table than scratching my head on the sideline after going from first to worst because i fell in love with suited connectors.

If he hit his 14 outer or Yang folded, he'd be sitting even more pretty, with $30 or $40M.  And this discussion wouldn't even be taking place.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 06:04:01 PM »

Nit.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »

For me successful tournament play is all about situations.

It is important to recognise the situation you are in as a whole and then assess each individual hand/situation and decide if this will favourably contribute to your overall progress.

Phillip Hilm's general tournament position is FAVOURABLE. He is currently 3rd in chips.

The size of his chipstack is FAVOURABLE. He has almost 20 million in chips when the blinds are just 100k-200k.

The magnitude of the tournament and size of the prize pool are exceedingly FAVOURABLE.

The standard at the table is not great and this is FAVOURABLE for a player of Hilm's capabilities.

So this is the general tournament situation Phillip Hilm finds himself in. In order to maintain the status quo and ideally progress through the event and build a bigger stack it is essential to enter gambling situations that are FAVOURABLE.

So let's take a look at this hand pre-flop.

Phillip Hilm does not raise...he calls a raise. UNFAVOURABLE SITUATION.

Phillip Hilm will not have the benefit of position on his opponent. UNFAVOURABLE SITUATION.

Phillip Hilm is playing a pot with one of only two other players that can knock him out. UNFAVOURABLE SITUATION.

On top of all this he doesn't even have a very promising hand which is clearly UNFAVOURABLE.

Suited connectors work well in multi-way pots. Hilm will be heads-up in this one. UNFAVOURABLE.

I think once the flop comes down the damage is already done and there are going to be a number of different, but ultimately unsuccessful ways, Hilm can get his money in here. But there's no doubt his money will go in.

When your general tournament situation is FAVOURABLE you must look for FAVOURABLE situations to get involved. This will only serve to strengthen your overall tournament position. However, if you opt to enter into UNFAVOURABLE situations then your downfall may be just around the corner.

With 3 shorter-stacked limpers calling on the button with    is distinctly more favourable than this. Same player, same chip-stack, same tournament, same cards......just a different SITAUTION.

good post and of course he should have folded preflop.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 06:13:08 PM »

I believe it was Hilm who said that the first time he had sat with Yang was from the final 10. So he wouldn't have had this knowledge. 

But a c/r on the flop is better then a turn r/r all in.  As he can find out if he has the hand that can call his turn shove all in.

If you're going to go all-in here on the flop, a 3-bet is better in my opinion.

BigTomatoes

play your part

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 08:31:52 PM »

Nit.

If he hit his 14 outer or Yang folded, he'd be sitting even more pretty, with $30 or $40M.  And this discussion wouldn't even be taking place.

similarly , if he folded this discussion wouldn't be taking place , and there would maybe be a different champion.

as the old saying goes IF your Auntie had balls she'd be your uncle.

but the fact is he went out of the final table of the WSOP because he played   

Benny Brox

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 10:20:33 PM »

This hand is very interesting. It's initially a fold pre-flop for me.

On the flop I would probably check raise although I do like Hilm's flat call as well as he's obviously decided if he doesn't hit the flush he's gonna check raise all-in anyway which would represent a very big hand rather than a draw. If Yang checks the turn he gets a free card.

I have to give credit to Yang though. (I presume) he made the right deduction to make a fantastic call, the only likely monster Hilm could have is KJ, KK, 55 or JJ in the hole. I believe if Hilm had KK or JJ he would re-raise Yang's raise pre-flop because he would be out of position post-flop. If Hilm had position he could just call with KK. If Hilm had KJ he probably would have check-raised or bet the two pair as the flop also brought a flush and straight draw. Therefore the only likely holdings are probably trip or a bluff. Putting this together with the fact he's a Scando there is a very good shout for calling. Lose and you take a hit but you're still in, win it and your in good shape to win.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: