blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Would YOU have played this hand?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would YOU have played this hand?  (Read 4824 times)
taximan007

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:47:38 AM »

WSOP Final Table 2007

Its Hand No. 15 you have 19.39 million chips, currently 3/9 you are in the BB and have 

There is a pre flop raise to 1 Million ( i think the blinds were 100-200K) Do you call ? At this point i know which direction the cards are going if it were Me.

You decide to call, the flop comes  you check, your opponent bets 2 Million, do you call, raise or fold? I'm thinking if you have called preflop and are deciding not to fold surely you should move All In here? You decide just to call!!!!

The turn card is  two hearts you check your opponent bets 4 Million you NOW decide to reraise all in and your opponent calls showing  The river card is  and you ( Phillip Hilm) are knocked out in 9th place.

This now gives Jerry Yang 44.5 Million in chips and IMO is the hand that ultimately won him the title.

Just my thoughts

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:55:26 AM »

I wouldnt call pre flop, but if I did and wanted to check raise it would be on the flop not the turn. Hilm had less info than the rest of the table because he was first out so it wasn't a terrible play because he hadn't established at that point exactly how cavalier Yang was being. Watkinson (and others) should have known better as they had more info and could have waited for a better spot as the stacks were still deep.
BigTomatoes

play your part

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:11:16 AM »

i dont know if its the way you report it but that hand is horrible from start to finish.

Philip Hilm should have done better , he'll probably regret that    for the rest of his life.

is it cold in his shadow ?
fearisthekey

PL: 51S1NT 4R51MS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:19:05 AM »

i dont know if its the way you report it but that hand is horrible from start to finish.

Philip Hilm should have done better , he'll probably regret that    for the rest of his life.

final table pressure messes funny with your head I suppose. Bad play, but I hate the turn bet also. What if the diamond hits, where are you then with AK? You've put a lot of dough into that pot....The flop bet call is maybe questionable, but certainly not a reraise, hoping its just a continuation bet.

W85N 494 T85 4R51M 253OM5 1 N978TM1R5

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 02:26:54 AM »

No possible way to fold look how heaven it looks.
ChipRich

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 02:29:26 AM »

No possible way to fold look how heaven it looks.

Totally agree, no possible way to fold
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:32:18 AM by ChipRich » Logged

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 05:18:29 AM »

Call Pre, look how pretty it is.

Re ship all in on Flop.

jakally

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 06:24:20 AM »

At the time this looked like a tilt play by Hilm, as he had just donked off a chunk to Yang.

In his post exit interview, Hilm talked about he need to stop Yang running over the table - he sounded like a guy who new he had cocked up, and was trying to justify it.

But it is probable that it was this style of play that got him to the FT, and he had the guts to try and carry on playing his game to go gor the win.

His play on the turn is ok, if there is a decent amount of fold equity. However, if he had played with Yang prior to the FT (not sure if he had or not) , he would surely have realised that folding wasn't really his thing.

fergus8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 06:30:39 AM »

nonsense- tournament life with that bag of spanners
BigTomatoes

play your part

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 08:21:51 AM »

Re ship all in on Flop.

why is that a better play ? still putting 19 million chips in a pot with a small pair and a flush draw , granted its better than the turn push , but its hardly WSOP ME final table quality play is it ?

why even bother with the call in the first place ? he's deep stacked already . why get involved with shit like that.

he was'nt playing an online donkament , it was the biggest game of poker in history , and he made himself look like a fool imo.

is it cold in his shadow ?
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 09:43:04 AM »

At the time this looked like a tilt play by Hilm, as he had just donked off a chunk to Yang.

In his post exit interview, Hilm talked about he need to stop Yang running over the table - he sounded like a guy who new he had cocked up, and was trying to justify it.

I think that's exactly right, he was just unfortunate that he ran into a big hand at the time.  There were some nice pots won with just a high card by Yang.   OK it's not worth shipping all in for imo, but I agree with his sentements, I'm just not sure I'd have had the balls to do it with that hand.

Talking of which, heads up.  Lam's been slowly losing chips folding all the way and has gone from 20m to 10m in chips.  I think I've never seen anyone so patient - are you really pushing all in with 34s to make a come back?  Yang is clearly calling with any two cards by now so why 34s?   OK he got lucky here but I think it's another example of people not making great plays against Yang.

Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 11:30:58 AM »

Pre-flop call maybe a little loose but apart from that he played the hand fine imo.  Helluva call by Yang given that he is either facing a big draw or drawing very thin/dead.  I pass in his spot even against a scandi.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »

Pre-flop call maybe a little loose but apart from that he played the hand fine imo.  Helluva call by Yang given that he is either facing a big draw or drawing very thin/dead.  I pass in his spot even against a scandi.

really?..,He knows his table image is such that he is seen as a sick nutter and therefore oppo could make this move with any half decent hand.
Personally I think pushing the turn is not the right thing to do...get it in on the flop and get the guy off the hand...don't do it when you've given him the impression his AK is surely good unless you have the goods to make that bet.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 12:52:23 PM »

If he check shoves flop its an easier call for Yang as it stinks of a fd.  Check raising turn looks much stronger.  Yang has either made a nice read or wasn't good enough to fold top pair.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 01:12:20 PM »

If he check shoves flop its an easier call for Yang as it stinks of a fd.  Check raising turn looks much stronger.  Yang has either made a nice read or wasn't good enough to fold top pair.

I agree.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: