blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Help a blondeite with a professional dilemna
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help a blondeite with a professional dilemna  (Read 10690 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2007, 09:16:27 PM »

blondeite, a good friend of mine, wishes to remain anonymous in case his employers however unlikely see this

"I work for an Estate Agents that also does lettings.

We have a tenant who has struggled to pay her rent for just over 3 months now. Don't want to give reasons or justify whether it is right or wrong that she hasn't paid, i know better than anyone that if you don't your pay rent/mortgage then you get what you deserve etc.

But there are ways of handling these situations... proper channels to go through etc.

Anyway, my company that i work for has decided to take matters into their own hands and are planning to do an 'illegal eviction' which basically involves smashing the door in, changing the locks and throwing the tenants belongings in the street.

This is a very cruel & naive way of doing things as i'm sure there will be a backlash from the tenant involving solicitors etc.

Thats not what i'm really concerned about as my company know the risk and will plead ignorance that they had anything to do with it.

Anyway, my point is do i warn the tenant? Do i stay out of it and go along with the 'I know nothing'

Help me decide please as time is running out"

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:18:06 PM »

grass anon

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »

agreed with Dewi.

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:20:17 PM »

Get all the info of who's authorised it, and who will be taking part, and hand it to the police anonymously.
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:20:34 PM »

grass anon

HI HELEN!
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 09:25:51 PM »

1) warn tenant
2) find another job with reputable company

sponsored by Fyffes
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 09:27:59 PM »

Agree with all of above.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 09:30:33 PM »

I doubt you'd be able to warn police or tenant anonymously.

Put your name to it, and expect the sack

get down the job centre pronto, proud that you selflessly did the right thing.
The_duke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 09:33:35 PM »

There are moral & legal implications here -- however I personally would warn the tenant via a sneaky letter through the door at 3.am. The tenant could then alert the police about the impending action in order to take her case through the proper channels. However she has no leg to stand on really but if she is honest but has a cash flow problem there are agencies to help, but it is very difficult to remove a non paying tenant. It could take ages (months even) so bully boy estate agents are making a move -- Give her a bit of assistance in order to call their bluff and if she is genuine give her a bit of breathing space...

Although the loser here is the owner of the property as well -- so its a toughy....

An Estate Agent employee with a conscience -- priceless

A great many people believe they are thinking, when in fact they are just rearranging their prejudices
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 09:33:47 PM »

Sorry but if you don't pay you don't play, the law is very bad when it comes to evicting unwanted tennants.
If the house is on a buy to let mortgage then someone is carrying this person unfairly, it's not like eviction means living on the streets there are hostels etc. to go to.
I know this seems callous but for every action (or non action) there is an equal.............

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 09:45:08 PM »

Two wrongs don't make a right.  Question is...who is more or less wrong in the grand scheme of things?

Tenant owes money and is wrong, regardless of reasons....BUT

Landlord wants money and is willing to take illegal steps to re-gain control of property. 

There is a legal system in place.  Rob Yong is a perfect example of doing things 'right'...and the estate agent is no different.  Any other way is wrong...FULL STOP.  Yeah it'll take months and the Estate agent may well lose money during the process...but so do other people when they do things 'right'.  Karma has a way of biting you in the backside...at the very least, warn the tenant...then it won't be your backside getting bit. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
jizzemm

BB6 Footy Winners - WALES.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 09:48:39 PM »

Sorry but if you don't pay you don't play, the law is very bad when it comes to evicting unwanted tennants.
If the house is on a buy to let mortgage then someone is carrying this person unfairly, it's not like eviction means living on the streets there are hostels etc. to go to.
I know this seems callous but for every action (or non action) there is an equal.............

As a finance person I agree why the agents want them out, but as laxie said 2 wrongs dont make a right, if the agents were good they would have started the legal process already IMO.

"I want to talk about my hand, what do you mean I cant talk about my hand, right im going to talk about the fact that I cant talk about my hand"...
dazzaster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »

1) warn tenant
2) find another job with reputable company

We know this type of thing goes on and on the odd occasion (extreme circumstance) maybe even be justified but,
Do u really want to work for a company that has these Morals ? They should do things the correct way.
As an employee of this type of firm think how they may treat you if something goes wrong.
The law is very favourable to the tenent which is unfair but they should follow the rules.
I wouldn't go to the police but i think your justified to warn the tenant in which ever way you think is best for yourself.
But I would defo be looking for a new job.

f*** you and your never ending string of boats ....
Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 10:06:38 PM »

In my view the answer after 3 months is no.
dazzaster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 10:20:37 PM »

In my view the answer after 3 months is no.
3 months is a good amount of time.
I'm involved in renting properties and hate the way the law is set up and as I said this type of action is sometimes justified.
The problem is we don't know the details or the efforts made by this company or tenant to sort things out.
This should be the first course, come to some sort of agreement regarding payment of arrears or time scale for moving out but make sure they know the consequences of ignoring the problem, not smash the door in and empty belongings.
If the tenant ignores this reasoniing then maybe its justified.

f*** you and your never ending string of boats ....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: