blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  [OT] Obesity - it's not the individual's fault?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [OT] Obesity - it's not the individual's fault?  (Read 18354 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2007, 01:42:55 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7047244.stm

Individuals can no longer be held responsible for obesity and government must act to stop Britain "sleepwalking" into a crisis, a report has concluded.

The largest ever UK study into obesity, backed by government and compiled by 250 experts, said excess weight was now the norm in our "obesogenic" society.

Dramatic and comprehensive action was required to stop the majority of us becoming obese by 2050, they said.

The government pledged to draw up a strategy to address the issue.

But the report authors admitted proof that any anti-obesity policy worked "was scant".

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:46:11 PM »

Mine is entirely down to me, my character,life experiences and my weaknesses

I don't agree with this report in one of its key findings which is that obesity is down to society not the individual.

Whilst yes people have sedentary lifestyles, there is a lot of fast food available and a lack of time etc it still, to my mind, a matter for the individual

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:46:43 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7047244.stm

Individuals can no longer be held responsible for obesity and government must act to stop Britain "sleepwalking" into a crisis, a report has concluded.

The largest ever UK study into obesity, backed by government and compiled by 250 experts, said excess weight was now the norm in our "obesogenic" society.

Dramatic and comprehensive action was required to stop the majority of us becoming obese by 2050, they said.

The government pledged to draw up a strategy to address the issue.

But the report authors admitted proof that any anti-obesity policy worked "was scant".

I agree...the government makes people eat loads of junk food and is forcing them to be lazy slobs. I am also quite sure there is someone moving people's pie arm towards their mouth constantly.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 01:47:55 PM »

PUT THE FORK DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »

PUT THE FORK DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE

Adam, whilst I don't really want to get involved in specifics it isn't as easy as that for a lot of people

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20030527-000010.html

gives one quick overview of some of the complications involved.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »

you can be guaranteed a new tax is on the way....

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »

For almost the entire time humans have been on this planet, we've lived in an almost constant state of famine - not knowing when the next food will be found. This meant we developed an urge to eat as much as we can when food is available. Only relatively recently has food been so plentiful that we haven't had to hunt it/kill it/forage for it ourselves. Combine this with the fact that all that hunting/foraging was good exercise and that most people don't even do any manual labour at all anymore and it's no wonder that Britain is full of people who can only wonder at what their feet look like.

For experts to say that obesity is not the individual's fault is, frankly, mind-boggling, and is a further sign that the real threat to British society is the Government backed drive to absolve the population of responsibility for their actions.

The welfare state is there for those who try and fail at life, not for those who don't try.
Bainn
The Preacher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 02:10:31 PM »

Admittedly there are some conditions that make losing weight a very hard thing to do, but for most people, a little willpower, excersise and a good diet will enable them to lose weight.

4 months before my 18th birthday I was just over 18 stone, on my birthday I was 11.5 stone.

Due to being free of Nicotine for over 12 weeks now I have put on a little weight, but by putting my mind to it I should be able to lose it again.

"Decerno, exsequor"

"It's nothing personal, just business."
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »

Its not my fault, i blame the local chinese / local indian / local cake shop / Mr Kipling / Neighbourhood ice cream man for all making food that makes me obese taste so nice!! Cheesy

sponsored by Fyffes
Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 02:33:38 PM »

My weakness is not so much the food, but lack of excercise. I spend most of my day sitting down ie in a car, at my desk and my outside interests include sitting in a cinema, theatre, sitting in front of my pc, playing poker etc.
i make a token gesture at excercise and the odd game of golf/squash but I have decided to bite the bullet and sign up for classes or a fitness trainer, basically some way of pushing me in the right direction.
Also to stop making excuses like I will wait until after my holiday or after christmas etc there is allways another excuse around the corner.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 02:36:10 PM »

My weakness is not so much the food, but lack of excercise. I spend most of my day sitting down ie in a car, at my desk and my outside interests include sitting in a cinema, theatre, sitting in front of my pc, playing poker etc.
i make a token gesture at excercise and the odd game of golf/squash but I have decided to bite the bullet and sign up for classes or a fitness trainer, basically some way of pushing me in the right direction.
Also to stop making excuses like I will wait until after my holiday or after christmas etc there is allways another excuse around the corner.

you could always go on  tv game shows like "the krypton factor" and "gladiators" instead of "the weakest link" and "eggheads"!!

sponsored by Fyffes
Bainn
The Preacher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 02:42:02 PM »

you could always go on  tv game shows like "the krypton factor" and "gladiators" instead of "the weakest link" and "eggheads"!!

Now Ed on "Takeshi's Castle" or that new "Ninja Warrior" would be classic TV !

"Decerno, exsequor"

"It's nothing personal, just business."
Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 02:42:59 PM »

I love takeshi's castle, but don't think my body would be up to it. Especilaly the rollers game.
At least you didn't mention Celebrity fat club.  Cheesy
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »

I love takeshi's castle, but don't think my body would be up to it. Especilaly the rollers game.
At least you didn't mention Celebrity fat club.  Cheesy

lol..but be honest..you wouldn't say no, would you?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 02:47:55 PM »

it's not the individual's fault?

Who's fault is fat kids ?

Regards

M

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: