blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 766 767 [768] 769 770 771 772 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3610612 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11505 on: February 09, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »

Thanks for that Tikay, only ever seen ospreys once & I went out of my way to go to an RSPB site to see them at the Loch of the Lowes nature reserve in Perthshire.My Dad had a big argument with the head fella at the Biology institute in Bermuda after he saw an osprey fishing there, David Wingate wasn't for believing it, but eventually someone got a photo, they don't breed there, but are occaisional visitors from migrants blown offshore.

David Wingate was some fella, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_B._Wingate rediscovered 2 species believed extinct & worked endlessly for conservation. When I was a kid I was lucky enough to do a summer camp with the Bermuda Aquarium & zoo & he took us around Nonsuch Island which is quite strictly offlimits in general. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsuch_Island

In just google Map'd that, looks a nice spot, are there any other locations in Scotland where they might be seen?

Preferred time of year? Spring?

Just put a link in - early April till late August they reckon - obviously it's a coming up to a worrying time for them waiting to see if the birds have made it back from Africa - with the shooting in greece/Malta being a particular worry.

Excellent idea Rod. TK, it's about time you had a holiday, just go Osprey shooting in Malta. 2 birds, one stone and all that.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: February 09, 2011, 10:49:08 AM »

Thanks for that Tikay, only ever seen ospreys once & I went out of my way to go to an RSPB site to see them at the Loch of the Lowes nature reserve in Perthshire.My Dad had a big argument with the head fella at the Biology institute in Bermuda after he saw an osprey fishing there, David Wingate wasn't for believing it, but eventually someone got a photo, they don't breed there, but are occaisional visitors from migrants blown offshore.

David Wingate was some fella, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_B._Wingate rediscovered 2 species believed extinct & worked endlessly for conservation. When I was a kid I was lucky enough to do a summer camp with the Bermuda Aquarium & zoo & he took us around Nonsuch Island which is quite strictly offlimits in general. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsuch_Island

In just google Map'd that, looks a nice spot, are there any other locations in Scotland where they might be seen?

Just put a link in - early April till late August they reckon - obviously it's a coming up to a worrying time for them waiting to see if the birds have made it back from Africa - with the shooting in greece/Malta being a particular worry.

Excellent idea Rod. TK, it's about time you had a holiday, just go Osprey shooting in Malta. 2 birds, one stone and all that.

Lol, a little holiday, Osprey-spotting, yeah, that'd be nice.

I don't think that even if you offered me £10,000, I could ever bring myself to shoot a bird, or any animal for that matter.  I know it's a recognized "sport" all all that, & I know the arguments for & against, but it just seems wrong, so terribly wrong. Man can be such an evil beast.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11507 on: February 09, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »

That's the best place I know of - great views of the birds. There are Ospreys in the south of Scotland (Caerlaverock in Dumfries & Galloway) - there's also Red Kites which are still rare up here - which is funny because you can see them regularly outside Reading near the Madjeski.l

The Red Kite breeding programme in central/southern England has been a massive success.  They are 'common' now, but are still an amazing sight.  I'm surprised there aren't more crashes on the M40 from people watching the Kites soaring.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11508 on: February 09, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »

That's the best place I know of - great views of the birds. There are Ospreys in the south of Scotland (Caerlaverock in Dumfries & Galloway) - there's also Red Kites which are still rare up here - which is funny because you can see them regularly outside Reading near the Madjeski.l

The Red Kite breeding programme in central/southern England has been a massive success.  They are 'common' now, but are still an amazing sight.  I'm surprised there aren't more crashes on the M40 from people watching the Kites soaring.

As long as you slow down to watch the birds, you're fine. You have to slow down to watch them though..speed kills.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11509 on: February 09, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »

As long as you slow down to watch the birds, you're fine. You have to slow down to watch them though..speed kills.

Good point.  I'll bear it in mind Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: February 09, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »

David Wingate was some fella, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_B._Wingate rediscovered 2 species believed extinct & worked endlessly for conservation. When I was a kid I was lucky enough to do a summer camp with the Bermuda Aquarium & zoo & he took us around Nonsuch Island which is quite strictly offlimits in general.

Just put a link in - early April till late August they reckon - obviously it's a coming up to a worrying time for them waiting to see if the birds have made it back from Africa - with the shooting in greece/MaltaNonsuch_Island]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsuch_Island

In just  being a particular worry.

Always disliked the fact they treat birds so badly in Malta. Doubt the EU will do much about it. To be fair though, they don't treat a lot of animals very well there.

Oh and capital G for Greece please Rod. Wink

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »

Good point.  I'll bear it in mind Cheesy

Tis ok.  Jebus will save ya if ya kick it.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »

David Wingate was some fella, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_B._Wingate rediscovered 2 species believed extinct & worked endlessly for conservation. When I was a kid I was lucky enough to do a summer camp with the Bermuda Aquarium & zoo & he took us around Nonsuch Island which is quite strictly offlimits in general.

Just put a link in - early April till late August they reckon - obviously it's a coming up to a worrying time for them waiting to see if the birds have made it back from Africa - with the shooting in greece/MaltaNonsuch_Island]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsuch_Island

In just  being a particular worry.

Always disliked the fact they treat birds so badly in Malta. Doubt the EU will do much about it. To be fair though, they don't treat a lot of animals very well there.

Oh and capital G for Greece please Rod. Wink

When they stop shooting our birds I will Wink

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: February 09, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »

Lol, a little holiday, Osprey-spotting, yeah, that'd be nice.

I don't think that even if you offered me £10,000, I could ever bring myself to shoot a bird, or any animal for that matter.  I know it's a recognized "sport" all all that, & I know the arguments for & against, but it just seems wrong, so terribly wrong. Man can be such an evil beast.

Got no problem with shooting, just with shooting things for the fun of it and destroying populations. If you're going to kill it - eat it!

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: February 09, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »

I just watched last night's BFGW and found it easily the most enjoyable of the series so far.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11515 on: February 09, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »

I just watched last night's BFGW and found it easily the most enjoyable of the series so far.

I think that was we spent more time seeing one guy (Paddy) and got to know him a bit more as a person.
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »

I watched this because it included a Gypsy wedding and not the usual traveller wedding. I enjoyed it but I have a question regarding Paddy the Irish travellers' purchasing power. Where the hell does he get the money to buy two circa £35k cars a year along with £4.5k dinning suites etc. If I was on there flaunting those purchases I would expect someone from the HMRC knocking on my door.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: February 09, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »

He came across as very likable but I reckon it would be good to be his mate rather than his enemy.

Watching him hit the punch bag scared the crap outta me - lethal force I reckon

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11518 on: February 09, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »

I watched this because it included a Gypsy wedding and not the usual traveller wedding. I enjoyed it but I have a question regarding Paddy the Irish travellers' purchasing power. Where the hell does he get the money to buy two circa £35k cars a year along with £4.5k dinning suites etc. If I was on there flaunting those purchases I would expect someone from the HMRC knocking on my door.

Are you assuming that Paddy doesn't pay his taxes Kev?

He's not daft. The very fact that he was flaunting his purchases would suggest that he does.  Wink

The older I get, the better I was.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: February 09, 2011, 07:35:38 PM »

Tom

You seem to know some stuff about dogs. My sister has a Tibetan terrior. 6 months old. Quite nice for a dog, very playful etc. But it likes to nibble, especially people. Other than my type of suggestion to her, which she obv didn't like, Is there anything you can recommend to stop him from doing this?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 766 767 [768] 769 770 771 772 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: