blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:49:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 767 768 [769] 770 771 772 773 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3610769 times)
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #11520 on: February 09, 2011, 07:56:45 PM »

And I doubt he's stockpiling the cars, he probably sells one when if gets a new one rather than spending 70k a year

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11521 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:59 PM »

Tom

You seem to know some stuff about dogs. My sister has a Tibetan terrior. 6 months old. Quite nice for a dog, very playful etc. But it likes to nibble, especially people. Other than my type of suggestion to her, which she obv didn't like, Is there anything you can recommend to stop him from doing this?

I can guess what your suggestion was, and to be honest, it's far the best way.

If a pup uses his teeth on one of his litter-mates, and his litter-mate squeals and tries to get away, he will be enormously encouraged and do it again at the first opportunity. The same applies if he nips his human family. Squealing and jumping will just re-enforce the biting instinct.

Watch a bitch with her pups. Sooner or later one of them will decide that her ear or her teat would make a great plaything and sink his teeth into it. She will immediately teach him a lesson by nipping him back. This nip won't really hurt him, but she will be snapping and snarling like she is going to tear him to pieces, and he will think that he has had a severe mauling. He will be in no doubt that biting is not acceptable behaviour, and will almost certainly never do it again.

If your sister can bring herself to grab the pup by his scruff and give him a shake while telling him off in no uncertain terms. she will be doing him, and herself a very big favour.

Be careful though, it has to be done without hesitation and at precisely the moment that the pup uses his teeth. Dogs learn by association of ideas, so he has to associate the biting with being disciplined. Reprimanding him two seconds before, or two seconds after is no good, the timing has to be exact.

If she can't bring herself to shake him by the scruff (As his mother would do) then another good way is to put a handful of gravel or dried peas into an empty 2ltr coke bottle and shake it vigorously at him and tell him off at the same time.

Dogs are pack animals. They thrive on discipline and order. They follow a leader or they become the leader.

What ever you do, don't let him get comfortable with the idea that it's OK to use his teeth on anyone at any time. You will be signing his death warrant.

The older I get, the better I was.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: February 09, 2011, 08:32:01 PM »

I enjoyed BFGW last night better than the previous ones. I would really enjoy a less slanted show but it would get less viewers I'm sure.

When you were boxing Tom did you have any interesting experiences you could share?

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11523 on: February 09, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »

I enjoyed BFGW last night better than the previous ones. I would really enjoy a less slanted show but it would get less viewers I'm sure.

When you were boxing Tom did you have any interesting experiences you could share?

Er yes, just the one...

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=4126.msg116973#msg116973

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: February 09, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »

Tom

You seem to know some stuff about dogs. My sister has a Tibetan terrior. 6 months old. Quite nice for a dog, very playful etc. But it likes to nibble, especially people. Other than my type of suggestion to her, which she obv didn't like, Is there anything you can recommend to stop him from doing this?

I can guess what your suggestion was, and to be honest, it's far the best way.

If a pup uses his teeth on one of his litter-mates, and his litter-mate squeals and tries to get away, he will be enormously encouraged and do it again at the first opportunity. The same applies if he nips his human family. Squealing and jumping will just re-enforce the biting instinct.

Watch a bitch with her pups. Sooner or later one of them will decide that her ear or her teat would make a great plaything and sink his teeth into it. She will immediately teach him a lesson by nipping him back. This nip won't really hurt him, but she will be snapping and snarling like she is going to tear him to pieces, and he will think that he has had a severe mauling. He will be in no doubt that biting is not acceptable behaviour, and will almost certainly never do it again.

If your sister can bring herself to grab the pup by his scruff and give him a shake while telling him off in no uncertain terms. she will be doing him, and herself a very big favour.

Be careful though, it has to be done without hesitation and at precisely the moment that the pup uses his teeth. Dogs learn by association of ideas, so he has to associate the biting with being disciplined. Reprimanding him two seconds before, or two seconds after is no good, the timing has to be exact.

If she can't bring herself to shake him by the scruff (As his mother would do) then another good way is to put a handful of gravel or dried peas into an empty 2ltr coke bottle and shake it vigorously at him and tell him off at the same time.

Dogs are pack animals. They thrive on discipline and order. They follow a leader or they become the leader.

What ever you do, don't let him get comfortable with the idea that it's OK to use his teeth on anyone at any time. You will be signing his death warrant.

Cheers Tom.

To be fair, I only met him the other day for the first time, I don't really have much of an affinity with dogs as a rule, but, today when i was round there I had managed to calm him down a bit and managed to get him to lie on me without him nibbling. I would stop stroking him if he started and tell him not to bite. Seemed to work most of the time. She also has two kids who like to wrestle with him etc, so that probably doesn't help much!

I will pass on the tips though. Cheers.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: February 09, 2011, 09:16:16 PM »

I just watched last night's BFGW and found it easily the most enjoyable of the series so far.

I watched this because it included a Gypsy wedding and not the usual traveller wedding. I enjoyed it but I have a question regarding Paddy the Irish travellers' purchasing power. Where the hell does he get the money to buy two circa £35k cars a year along with £4.5k dinning suites etc. If I was on there flaunting those purchases I would expect someone from the HMRC knocking on my door.

Are you assuming that Paddy doesn't pay his taxes Kev?

He's not daft. The very fact that he was flaunting his purchases would suggest that he does.  Wink

I'm not assuming he doesn't pay taxes Tom. I my experience the HMRC doesn't need much encouragement to investigate businesses with a propensity for cash transactions. It was mentioned that one of the ways he now makes a living from is tarmac work. In my 18 years in the block paving industry I've never seen an invoice or receipt for a job from irish travellers. I'm not saying they don't, if they pay taxes there must be some kind of bookeeping, but by flaunting  on TV is asking for trouble.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11526 on: February 09, 2011, 09:23:18 PM »

I just watched last night's BFGW and found it easily the most enjoyable of the series so far.

I watched this because it included a Gypsy wedding and not the usual traveller wedding. I enjoyed it but I have a question regarding Paddy the Irish travellers' purchasing power. Where the hell does he get the money to buy two circa £35k cars a year along with £4.5k dinning suites etc. If I was on there flaunting those purchases I would expect someone from the HMRC knocking on my door.

He's not daft. The very fact that he was flaunting his purchases would suggest that he does.  Wink

I'm not assuming he doesn't pay taxes Tom. I my experience the HMRC doesn't need much encouragement to investigate businesses with a propensity for cash transactions. It was mentioned that one of the ways he now makes a living from is tarmac work. In my 18 years in the block paving industry I've never seen an invoice or receipt for a job from irish travellers. I'm not saying they don't, if they pay taxes there must be some kind of bookeeping, but by flaunting  on TV is asking for trouble.

Yes Kev, you're right of course, but my point is He knows that.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: February 09, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »

I think that was we spent more time seeing one guy (Paddy) and got to know him a bit more as a person.

That was definitely part of the reason.

There was just a great deal more information about the Gypsy culture and day to day role-play.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11528 on: February 09, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »

Hi Red,

Were you around Sheffield in the sixties? Do you happen to remember this place?
It's from a archive of Kodachrome slides I'm researching in Sheffield & can't find any further details of this one. I would of loved to seen the inside.

Cheers,

Tonji.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: February 10, 2011, 01:43:53 AM »

Which racetrack was the wedding reception held at?

I want to guess Sandown, but it was probably a smaller track than that.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
TheWhisper

View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: February 10, 2011, 08:19:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure I saw a Leicester sign
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11531 on: February 10, 2011, 08:52:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure I saw a Leicester sign

Yes, it was Leicester.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11532 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »

Hi Red,

Were you around Sheffield in the sixties? Do you happen to remember this place?
It's from a archive of Kodachrome slides I'm researching in Sheffield & can't find any further details of this one. I would of loved to seen the inside.

Cheers,

Tonji.

I was aroung sheffield during the late 60's early 70's but I don't recall seeing that.

Do you know where about it was?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11533 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »

Yes Kev, you're right of course, but my point is He knows that.

Kev. I've been mulling this over, and I've decided that I owe you and apology.

I think I was the one doing the assuming.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11534 on: February 10, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »

15st 4½lb
15st 2½lb
15st 1lb
15st 1lb
15st 1lb
15st 1lb