blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:10:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 1569 1570 [1571] 1572 1573 1574 1575 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3607617 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23550 on: October 30, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »

Blimey!

I must have been fat then. I have more chins than a Chinese phone book.

The older I get, the better I was.
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #23551 on: October 30, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »

To be fair to the journalists and whilst taking the point about it being their job, how many blondes would know to capitalise 'Gypsy' without Red's ministrations? Not me for sure.

I agree Jack about Blondes, but to do something for a living and getting it wrong not so good, especially if it's not your first article.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23552 on: October 31, 2013, 08:09:16 AM »

This article, and the replies to it, are a good example of the prejudice that Gypsies face on a daily basis.

Imagine the outcry if these remarks were made about a black or Jewish family.

I particularly liked the complaint that the presence of Gypsies would lead to "Increased Gypsy activity."

http://www.wearebarnsley.com/news/article/3987/complaints-made-about-gypsy-pitch-plans#.UnEstH2gJw8.gmail

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #23553 on: October 31, 2013, 08:25:26 AM »

This article, and the replies to it, are a good example of the prejudice that Gypsies face on a daily basis.

Imagine the outcry if these remarks were made about a black or Jewish family.

I particularly liked the complaint that the presence of Gypsies would lead to "Increased Gypsy activity."

http://www.wearebarnsley.com/news/article/3987/complaints-made-about-gypsy-pitch-plans#.UnEstH2gJw8.gmail

Sigh.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #23554 on: October 31, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »

I'm not the greatest model for English grammar and spelling but do they even have schools in Barnsley? I spent years working as an interpreter and struggled making sense out of some of those comments..

When reading the article I immediately thought to myself that I wouldn't be too happy if a Gypsy community decided to settle right next to my house, simply because I would expect house prices to fall. Then I thought would that definitely be the case?

After a bit of research:

Although it is from a council proposing a traveller site..

There is no evidence regarding the effect of permanent or transit sites on property prices. An independent study in Scotland by the Planning Exchange and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation found that although there were some claims that house prices would be affected, these proved hard to establish.
The study said a new home being built within 50m of the boundary of one site suggested the impact on the local housing market had been minimal.

Experiences in Leicestershire and other local authority areas do not show a reduction in property values.

Once a site is established and providing it is well managed, the fears of residents about the negative impact on their area were not borne out. In an area which is subject to regular incidents of unauthorised traveller encampments, provision of official sites could improve the situation.

Found a fair few individual instances where people said they can't sell due to Gypsy and Traveller sites but no conclusive research.

I think where I live it would cause a drop as prices went down when there was talk of opening a super dairy..but it wouldn't cause me to have any ill feeling towards individuals.

Does any of that make sense? Just trying to provide another pov.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #23555 on: October 31, 2013, 09:13:14 AM »

I'm not the greatest model for English grammar and spelling but do they even have schools in Barnsley? I spent years working as an interpreter and struggled making sense out of some of those comments..

When reading the article I immediately thought to myself that I wouldn't be too happy if a Gypsy community decided to settle right next to my house, simply because I would expect house prices to fall. Then I thought would that definitely be the case?

After a bit of research:

There is no evidence regarding the effect of permanent or transit sites on property prices. An independent study in Scotland by the Planning Exchange and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation found that although there were some claims that house prices would be affected, these proved hard to establish.
The study said a new home being built within 50m of the boundary of one site suggested the impact on the local housing market had been minimal.

Experiences in Leicestershire and other local authority areas do not show a reduction in property values.

Once a site is established and providing it is well managed, the fears of residents about the negative impact on their area were not borne out. In an area which is subject to regular incidents of unauthorised traveller encampments, provision of official sites could improve the situation.

Found a fair few individual instances where people said they can't sell due to Gypsy and Traveller sites but no conclusive research.

I think where I live it would cause a drop as prices went down when there was talk of opening a super dairy..but it wouldn't cause me to have any ill feeling towards individuals.

sigh

would you have this issue with the building of a mosque in your street?

ok with a church?

how about a charity offering support for homeless men?

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #23556 on: October 31, 2013, 09:17:32 AM »

After a bit of research:

sigh

would you have this issue with the building of a mosque in your street?

ok with a church?

how about a charity offering support for homeless men?

yeah. I would have an issue with anyone building anything if I thought it could affect my house price in a negative manner.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23557 on: October 31, 2013, 09:20:46 AM »

That's a good honest post Milly.

People do worry that house prices will fall if a Gypsy site is built nearby, but even if it's true, it isn't right.

Not long ago, people used to worry that house prices would fall if blacks moved in next door.

FWIW For the most part I'm not a fan of big, obtrusive council built Gypsy sites. Before the 1968 Caravan sites act we used to have traditional stopping places where we would stay in small family groups. Bigger sites seem to foster a 'them and us' attitude imo.

Just as a point of interest, the resident of the village I live in now reacted to me in exactly the same way as the people in the linked story. That was 12 years ago. Non on the things they feared has happened.

millidonk

View Profile
« Reply #23558 on: October 31, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »

Glad you appreciate my honesty and whilst I agree that morally / culturally it isn't right, we are essentially talking about the value of my retirement pot here. I don't want that pot to go down under any circumstance nor do I wish to be forced to gamble with it!

If I am being completely honest I don't really have many first hand encounters with Gypsies / Travellers that I know of anyway. I haven't lived by a camp or if I have then I certainly wasn't aware of the fact. My encounters to date:
A group threatened me in a Chinese restaurant
I had friendly times with girl when the circus came to town in York
and knowing you online and in person, so swings and roundabouts really. Smiley

I have forgotten where I was going with this, I just remember that I planned to close with "Even though there are no negative feelings from me on an individual level, the fact that the majority's feelings could be enough to influence my house price is enough for me to be opposed to having a site built next door to me".

I think the underlining problem is multifaceted;  lack of education in general, Travellers not doing enough to show themselves in a positive light, old wives tales and the media.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23559 on: October 31, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »

There should be a Gypsy camp built at the end of every street if it makes houses a bit more affordable.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23560 on: October 31, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »

Trick or treat?

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23561 on: November 01, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »

There should be a Gypsy camp built at the end of every street if it makes houses a bit more affordable.

...and there is the wonderful Charlie Munger obverse thing in action.

Falling house prices are every bit a two way thing, there are buyers AND sellers involved.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23562 on: November 01, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »

Trick or treat?

Click to see full-size image.

Not sure what to say about that, Tom.

Radio 4 reported this morning that Halloween related retail sales were £12 million in 2001, & this year exceeded £300 million. Allegedly, the third most popular annual "festival" in the retail world now, after, presumably, Xmas & Easter. The recession is clearly biting, then.

Personally, I think it's all bollox. I even had to wear horns on the Show last night, ffs. It struck me as a sort of weird juxtaposition with the Poppy I was wearing.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #23563 on: November 01, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »

Yes, Tony, but we got free sweets!

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23564 on: November 01, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »

Yes, Tony, but we got free sweets!

Ooohhh. Now I get it.

Is Dad still pleasingly plump & annoyingly argumentative?

Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 1569 1570 [1571] 1572 1573 1574 1575 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: