blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1566 1567 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 1573 1574 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3607956 times)
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23535 on: October 29, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »

To be fair to the journalists and whilst taking the point about it being their job, how many blondes would know to capitalise 'Gypsy' without Red's ministrations? Not me for sure.

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23536 on: October 29, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »

I googled Gypsy with a capital G and this came up.

seems a shame not to give it a plug.

http://www.jrf.org.uk/sites/files/jrf/ageing-in-gypsy-families-summary.pdf

The older I get, the better I was.
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23537 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:57 AM »

I've only had a quick 'flick' through (it's bedtime!) but was intrigued to find the Gypsy elders referred to as Aunt & Uncle. Would you care to elaborate on why that is? Also, is the status of elder conferred just through age or is it more to do with esteem within the community?

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23538 on: October 30, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »

The

I've only had a quick 'flick' through (it's bedtime!) but was intrigued to find the Gypsy elders referred to as Aunt & Uncle. Would you care to elaborate on why that is? Also, is the status of elder conferred just through age or is it more to do with esteem within the community?

Elder is not a term we would use within the community, but it is often used when describing our elderly to non Gypsies.

I suppose it's a way of letting them know that we see them as more than just old people.

Aunt & Uncle are simply used as a mark of respect.

I hope that makes sense. I often find it difficult to explain something as a concept when until that point, it's just been a way of life.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23539 on: October 30, 2013, 09:14:17 AM »

The Japanese use Uncle or Aunt to refer to a stranger of the appropriate age. You can also use brother or sister to refer to people of a similar age to yourself.  Get it wrong though, and call someone of the same age 'Uncle' it can be seen as an insult, whereas using it to an older person can be a sign of respect.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #23540 on: October 30, 2013, 09:34:56 AM »

The Japanese use Uncle or Aunt to refer to a stranger of the appropriate age. You can also use brother or sister to refer to people of a similar age to yourself.  Get it wrong though, and call someone of the same age 'Uncle' it can be seen as an insult, whereas using it to an older person can be a sign of respect.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks uncle.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23541 on: October 30, 2013, 09:54:18 AM »

I've been Sky + ing the fantastic 'World At War' series. It's probably the most comprehensive WW11 documentary ever made.  Narrated by Sir Lawrence Olivier and filmed at a time when there were still thousands of eye witnesses from all sides to interview, it contains some of the most astounding footage anyone will ever see.

In today's episode, (No 22 I think) it shows how Japan spent many years preparing it's people for war.

Children were brought up with a fighters / soldiers mindset from infancy.

If I understood it properly, the Samurai doctrine says, "To die in battle is to be like the cherry blossom and fall at the moment of perfection"   

Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #23542 on: October 30, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »

About 18 months ago a family moved on next door to us who had two strapping young lads aged 16 and 18.

A few days later I came home from a night at the cinema to find them in my caravan chatting to my young cousin who had been babysitting for me.
I, of course, immediately amped up my natural charm and spent a happy hour chatting and laughing with them the three of them, thinking all the while 'Yeah, I'm hip, I'm cool!'

Next day I'm out pegging the washing and I can hear through my reverie someone calling 'Aunt, can I lend your hosepipe?'
Of course I carried on with what I was doing, although after hearing the same call a couple of times I started to think 'for Gods sake, who ever it is, get him them hose already'
Only when the blonde Adonis actually tapped me on the shoulder did I realise he was talking to me.
I still think of that moment sometimes and cry.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #23543 on: October 30, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »

About 18 months ago a family moved on next door to us who had two strapping young lads aged 16 and 18.

A few days later I came home from a night at the cinema to find them in my caravan chatting to my young cousin who had been babysitting for me.
I, of course, immediately amped up my natural charm and spent a happy hour chatting and laughing with them the three of them, thinking all the while 'Yeah, I'm hip, I'm cool!'

Next day I'm out pegging the washing and I can hear through my reverie someone calling 'Aunt, can I lend your hosepipe?'
Of course I carried on with what I was doing, although after hearing the same call a couple of times I started to think 'for Gods sake, who ever it is, get him them hose already'
Only when the blonde Adonis actually tapped me on the shoulder did I realise he was talking to me.
I still think of that moment sometimes and cry.

Haha, it's not great being in the 'Aunt zone', although it's much better than being in the 'Gran zone'..  Just walk around saying "lol" and "yolo" that should trick them.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23544 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »

I've been Sky + ing the fantastic 'World At War' series. It's probably the most comprehensive WW11 documentary ever made.  Narrated by Sir Lawrence Olivier and filmed at a time when there were still thousands of eye witnesses from all sides to interview, it contains some of the most astounding footage anyone will ever see.

In today's episode, (No 22 I think) it shows how Japan spent many years preparing it's people for war.

If I understood it properly, the Samurai doctrine says, "To die in battle is to be like the cherry blossom and fall at the moment of perfection"   

Oddly enough, was reading this article yesterday - there's a new DVD release of it coming out (one where they didn't screw up the aspect ratio by making it widescreen).

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/oct/28/how-we-made-world-at-war
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23545 on: October 30, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »

Oddly enough, was reading this article yesterday - there's a new DVD release of it coming out (one where they didn't screw up the aspect ratio by making it widescreen).

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/oct/28/how-we-made-world-at-war

Thanks Andrew.

It really is a mind blowing series. It amazes me beyond words that I can hear real accounts and see with my own eyes what happened.

Truly moving moving pictures

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23546 on: October 30, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »

At the time it was the most expensive TV series ever made which, when you consider it was just archive footage and talking head interviews, shows you the amount of research that went into it.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #23547 on: October 30, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »

Seeing as you already have a moustache, will you be growing a full beard for Movember? 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #23548 on: October 30, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »

Seeing as you already have a moustache, will you be growing a full beard for Movember? 
I was hoping Tom would start Movember tache free and join in Wink

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23549 on: October 30, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »

I was hoping Tom would start Movember tache free and join in Wink

I shaved my tache off once and the dog bit me, so I've shaved my head instead.

I hate shaving so I don't mind having a beard, but you will have to get permission from Mrs Red first. she says I look enough of a C nut already without adding to the effect.

I can't rock that designer stubble thing, I just look like a scruffy old basket.

Click to see full-size image.

Pages: 1 ... 1566 1567 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 1573 1574 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: