blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:15:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1575 1576 1577 1578 [1579] 1580 1581 1582 1583 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3608011 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #23670 on: November 15, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »

A bloke walks in to a cafe and sees the day's specials on the blackboard.

He says to the waitress "I'll have the pissoles".

Waitress says "I beg your pardon sir that is an"R""

"Oh sorry love" he says "I'll have the arseholes".

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23671 on: November 15, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »

Great stuff from Remembrance Day Tom thumbs up

Re Jane Elliot - she ran her experiment over here a few years ago for a documentary (on channel 4 I think). My memory is pretty hazy these days, but I recall the group acted rather differently to what she was used too. I'll have to dig it out and watch it again now I've remembered (if I don't forget again before tonight)

I just haven't had time to watch it yet.

Well, when I have had time I haven't remembered, and when I have remembered I haven't had time.

You see, that is your problem Tom, you try to do too many things.

Slow down, smell the roses, enjoy life at a leisurely pace, know what I mean?

One day I'll give it all up, buy a cottage by the sea, get a dog with a limp, write a book.....

Wow, now there's an idea......

I'll have you know I spent a large part of last Saturday at Battersea Dogs Home, in Windsor, admiring the inmates, & dreaming. Near fell in love with a little terrier, but he was 11 years old. Therein lies only pain & heartache, though hopefully for me, not him. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #23672 on: November 15, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »

Saw this on Facebook & thought it was brilliant - good to know there are parents out there who like to keep their kids in awe of the world....

https://medium.com/thoughts-on-creativity/6f4cb1886d41

The parents, every year for the month of Dinovember, after the kids are asleep, take their plastic dinosaurs and make it look like they've woken up and got up to mischief during the night:

Click to see full-size image.

They're good kids from what I've read - one suggested selling off the dinos because of the mess  Cheesy

My Sis-in Law isn't pleased that her eldest daughter still believes in trolls, when we were walking up to the falls I had her scared of the troll under the little wooden bridge (that my folks had me scared of when I was little). Must have took it too far because I'd to go look and prove there were none there, and tell her that Kerry (our Border Terrier) was a trained troll-scaring dog.... Further up the path, when she'd started questioning my assurances that they were real, I found a track from a big dog, that had slipped, meaning right there in front of us, in perfect detail, was a long footprint with claws at the tip of each toe  Grin (wish I'd got a picture of it - couldn't have sculpted it better). Aoibhin is a clever kid, but that evidence was too real, she now tells her Mum she doesn't believe in them, but tells me that it's just to keep her Mum from worrying. 

You can get a kid all the bought toys you like, but something like that, or a walk with a treasure map, (that actually ends with finding a chest full of sweets), or even just spending the time to tell them stories seems to stick in their minds more.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #23673 on: November 15, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »

Love it!!

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #23674 on: November 15, 2013, 04:02:24 PM »

Love it!!
I know, almost can't wait to have sprogs to do things like that with.

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23675 on: November 15, 2013, 06:08:54 PM »

Aoibhin 

or a walk with a treasure map, (that actually ends with finding a chest full of sweets),

How do you pronounce that?

Have you tried Geocaching? Tried it with my boy and he loved it. It's treasure hunting with GPS co-ordinates but you can manage it with a smart phone and the clues with the co-ords.

Cymru am byth
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #23676 on: November 15, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »

Ay-Veen, it's an Irish Gaelic name (her Mum's from Tipperary).

I don't fancy geo-caching much TBH 1 I think GPS is cheating, 2 I don't think there's too much of it in my area, whereas there's a lot of stunning countryside and wildlife to show them, thankfully they are very into that.

The treasure map was a piece of paper with some lines and an x on it - all instructions were made up on the hoof, I don't think they worked out that no troll would have said 10 big steps for a 5 year old girl from the kissing gate for example..... from the
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:38:40 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23677 on: November 15, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »

Ay-Veen, it's an Irish Gaelic name (her Mum's from Tipperary).

I don't fancy geo-caching much TBH 1 I think GPS is cheating, 2 I don't think there's too much of it in my area, whereas there's a lot of stunning countryside and wildlife to show them, thankfully they are very into that.

The treasure map was a piece of paper with some lines and an x on it - all instructions were made up on the hoof, I don't think they worked out that no troll would have said 10 big steps for a 5 year old girl from the kissing gate for example..... from the

Go have a look here- http://www.geocaching.com/
Remember, GPS is not pinpoint accurate, even less so with my I phone. The caches you are looking for tend to be hidden from plain sight and can take a little digging to find. If you're struggling, there's clues that you can have decoded to give a clue. There's caches everywhere and people go to all sorts of trouble to make whole trails with them on. Once you find the cache, you sign and date it and there's items in there you can swap. I only did it to try and amuse the boy for an afternoon but I actually enjoyed myself as much as he did. Go to the site and see what's in your local area.

Cymru am byth
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23678 on: November 15, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »

Rod!

You'd make a great granddad.

The older I get, the better I was.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #23679 on: November 15, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »

Hey Tom

Going to be at DTD for the UKIPT or cash games? Would be nice to get a beer and have a chat.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23680 on: November 15, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »

Hey Tom

Going to be at DTD for the UKIPT or cash games? Would be nice to get a beer and have a chat.

Unfortunately not Patrick. Thanks for asking.

Can I nominate Celtic as my sub?

The older I get, the better I was.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #23681 on: November 15, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »

Haha, sure. Theres a nandos nearby too.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #23682 on: November 15, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »

Rod!

You'd make a great granddad.
Cheers Red, I'll start with being a Dad first though maybe... Doing OK as bad uncle Rod though.

My Dad was one for spontaneous fun things when I was a kid, so I had a good example. One he used to do was wake me up at about 5 in the morning, find me some breakfast (big bit of cake or chocolate or something) and we'd be at the poshest golf club in Bermuda at first light to dive for golf balls along the side of the second fairway where a wayward drive would hit the sea. I asked him years later why he always made me dive closer to land than him? "Early morning the sharks that came into the bay come out through the channel - you were too small & might look like breakfast".

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #23683 on: November 18, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »

Some great footage from the falcon's point of view on a bustard hunt int he dessert - brilliant stuff. A very different technique to the one used here, they're going for a straight chase there presumably because the bustard is a big lumbering bird in comparison, they'd probably have used the same here in the old days when they'd hunt heron, but the falconing here tends to be to grouse which are fast and nimble, so the falconer tries to send the falcon up high, to allow the fast stoop and surprise hit on the grouse.

http://www.videofaceindir.com/bir-gyr-x-saker-039in-gozunden-yakali-toy-avi.html

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23684 on: November 18, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »

Some great footage from the falcon's point of view on a bustard hunt int he dessert - brilliant stuff. A very different technique to the one used here, they're going for a straight chase there presumably because the bustard is a big lumbering bird in comparison, they'd probably have used the same here in the old days when they'd hunt heron, but the falconing here tends to be to grouse which are fast and nimble, so the falconer tries to send the falcon up high, to allow the fast stoop and surprise hit on the grouse.

http://www.videofaceindir.com/bir-gyr-x-saker-039in-gozunden-yakali-toy-avi.html

Wow, is there no limit to where, & on what, they can fit a camera these days?

I think F1 Motor Racing helped a lot in the development of this sort of technology, but we've come a goodly way since we were kids, with our Brownie 127, & getting them developed at the Chemist.

Kodak used to be THE name in all things photography, but they had feet of clay, & the world passed them by.

Eventually, they went into other stuff, with a lapse into Administration along the way. They then emerged from Administration after selling all the photography patents they held, for just north of $500,000,000, the buyers being, amongst others, google, Apple & Amazon. None of these existed back in 1976, when Kodak held a near 90% share of the market in photography related stuff.   Truly amazing what changes internet & digital have made, & in such a short time. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 1575 1576 1577 1578 [1579] 1580 1581 1582 1583 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: