blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1578 1579 1580 1581 [1582] 1583 1584 1585 1586 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3609378 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23715 on: November 22, 2013, 12:37:46 PM »

Booked the ferry from Poole to Santander. We're going to have a couple of weeks pootling around southern Spain / Portugal in t' camper.

Suggestions re routes, things to see / do etc very welcome.

The older I get, the better I was.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23716 on: November 22, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »

Your holidays always sound fun Sad

Do you ever or have you ever gone on a 'traditional' holiday?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23717 on: November 22, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »

From Santander I'd recommend heading to Santiago de Compostela, then the coast around Cape Finisterre. Sounds like a great trip.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #23718 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »

Why do you like the quote Tom?  As someone who uses stats a lot it just jars.  A bit like " lies, damn lies and statistics".  Yes, some people misuse statistics, and a proportion of them do so deliberately.  

This quote implies the vital stuff is usually missing, and the thing presented is interesting, but not important.  

I expect most stats you see used in life are both accurate enough, and without any deliberate attempt to mislead.  

The research where this started is interesting in this context.  I don't believe children are much slower than they ever were, but the researchers have observed there stamina over a mile isn't as good as it was.  To me a Cheetah can run at 70mph, even if it is lying in a heap after 2 miles.  But by presenting this research as children aren't as fast as they used to be isn't a damn lie or hiding anything vital.  Even the article itself covered the reality of the situation.

Over to you.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #23719 on: November 22, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »

Booked the ferry from Poole to Santander. We're going to have a couple of weeks pootling around southern Spain / Portugal in t' camper.

Suggestions re routes, things to see / do etc very welcome.

That coast road beween Santander and Biarritz is absolutely stunning iirc.

Mind you that might be in the wrong direction for you unless you're planning on including a visit to Pamplona on your travels, in which case it would only be a slight detour.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #23720 on: November 22, 2013, 02:12:51 PM »

Why do you like the quote Tom?  As someone who uses stats a lot it just jars.  A bit like " lies, damn lies and statistics".  Yes, some people misuse statistics, and a proportion of them do so deliberately.  

This quote implies the vital stuff is usually missing, and the thing presented is interesting, but not important.  

I expect most stats you see used in life are both accurate enough, and without any deliberate attempt to mislead.  

The research where this started is interesting in this context.  I don't believe children are much slower than they ever were, but the researchers have observed there stamina over a mile isn't as good as it was.  To me a Cheetah can run at 70mph, even if it is lying in a heap after 2 miles.  But by presenting this research as children aren't as fast as they used to be isn't a damn lie or hiding anything vital.  Even the article itself covered the reality of the situation.

Over to you.

I like it because it amuses me.

I took issue with your response because you seemed to me to be using the words data and statistics as though they were the same thing.
I was, once, a student of statistics and although I've forgotten most of what I learnt I do know that if you select your data carefully you can mislead people. For instance, presenting statistics on cruise liner safety between the dates 16/04/1912 and 12/03/2012 would be a rather different presentation than one based on 14/04/1912 and 14/03/2012...

I only ever met one member of your profession and he explained how to tell the difference between an introvert or an extrovert actuary. Apparently an introvert looks at his shoes when in conversation with you, whilst an extrovert looks at yours...
Somehow I don't think you fit that mould.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #23721 on: November 22, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »

Apparently an introvert looks at his shoes when in conversation with you, whilst an extrovert looks at yours...

This is funny - in fact my poll shows that 100% of people find this the funniest thing they've read in a week or two

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23722 on: November 22, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »

Over to you.

I like the quote because of the clever use of language. I enjoyed the juxtaposition of boring numbers and exciting girlie anatomy.

I know I'm shallow, but at least I'm honest.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #23723 on: November 22, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »

I only ever met one member of your profession and he explained how to tell the difference between an introvert or an extrovert actuary. Apparently an introvert looks at his shoes when in conversation with you, whilst an extrovert looks at yours...

The only Actuary I know well told me the very same joke.  That's 100% of actuaries.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23724 on: November 22, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »

The only Actuary I know well told me the very same joke.  That's 100% of actuaries.

Misleading stat alert!

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #23725 on: November 22, 2013, 07:36:04 PM »

Misleading stat alert!

Think he may have whooshed you?   

To be fair, the extrapolation isn't entirely inaccurate. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #23726 on: November 22, 2013, 07:44:43 PM »

Misleading stat alert!

statistically it would be more accurate to say - potentially misleading alert Smiley

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23727 on: November 22, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »

Misleading stat alert!

Or I you?

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #23728 on: November 22, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »

Misleading stat alert!

Or I you?

he could be woosh-levelling - a dark art of the faculty that few master.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #23729 on: November 22, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »

btw Tom where were you when Kennedy died?  Did in mean anything to your cultural group? 

It was quite a big thing for my catholic background - I remember my mother crying when the news was on the radio, which I hadn't seen before.
Pages: 1 ... 1578 1579 1580 1581 [1582] 1583 1584 1585 1586 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: