blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:43:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1810 1811 1812 1813 [1814] 1815 1816 1817 1818 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3607984 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #27195 on: October 15, 2015, 12:52:46 AM »

This year they unveiled a large art project on the site of an abandoned open cast mine just outside the village. THe artist Charles Jencks created a similar work in his garden about 20 miles away, which is open to the public one day a year and draws visitors from around the world.

I don't get it as art, although it's a lot better looking than the open cast mine. It's proved quite popular though.

Click to see full-size image.

Reading that again & thinking there was probably an old curmudgeon in Wiltshire around about 2400BC saying "I don't get it as art"...

I love this. It is art. His own gardens look stunning. All IMO of course...

http://www.scotlandsgardens.org/gardens/garden/6f8a52d7-f7b0-45c2-91fc-999e00d2ac95

Just ignore him he hasn't got a clue about art in case you are in any doubt.

He probably considers The Chiswick Flyover to be a better depiction of art due to the fact that it's the tomb of some poor sod buried in the concrete foundations by his hero Mad Frankie Fraser.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #27196 on: October 18, 2015, 10:20:58 PM »

Will you be bending the rules and allowing Poppy indoors for Guy Fawkes night?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27197 on: October 18, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »

I love this. It is art. His own gardens look stunning. All IMO of course...

http://www.scotlandsgardens.org/gardens/garden/6f8a52d7-f7b0-45c2-91fc-999e00d2ac95

Sorry missed this, and yes, his own gardens are beautiful (what I've seen from the train anyway), but I suppose it's what impact it has on you, I can see why people love it, & sure I suppose they could call it art, but it doesn't strike me that way. I see more art in nature than in the shaping of it I suppose. I'd be the guy looking at the kestrel hovering over that in far more awe than looking at the stone patterns etc.

I prefer Andy Goldworthy's stuff -  he lives not far away and has done a lot in the area, I even found some of his creations out walking once - which he'd create, take pictures and then leave to go back to nature.

Even his big eggs which are permanent add something to the country around, and link to the stonework of the area...

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:14:10 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27198 on: October 18, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »

Will you be bending the rules and allowing Poppy indoors for Guy Fawkes night?

I don't allow Poppy in Ralph, but I allow Mrs Red to allow Poppy in.

Fortunately though, neither of the dogs are fazed by fireworks.

The older I get, the better I was.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #27199 on: October 19, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »

[/quote] Sorry missed this, and yes, his own gardens are beautiful (what I've seen from the train anyway), but I suppose it's what impact it has on you, I can see why people love it, & sure I suppose they could call it art, but it doesn't strike me that way. I see more art in nature than in the shaping of it I suppose. I'd be the guy looking at the kestrel hovering over that in far more awe than looking at the stone patterns etc.

I prefer Andy Goldworthy's stuff -  he lives not far away and has done a lot in the area, I even found some of his creations out walking once - which he'd create, take pictures and then leave to go back to nature.

[/quote]

I really like Goldsworthy. He had a great exhibition when I visited YSP in Wakefield for the first time a few years ago with my daughter. His work, the marriage between art and nature,  was a big influence on her culminating in an art degree where nature is at the heart of everything she does. Her eyes - she photographs everything and sees thing I would historically be oblivious to - have opened my eyes to the stunning beauty in so many things. I like concrete as well Smiley

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #27200 on: October 19, 2015, 10:58:24 PM »

You had me convinced until that last sentence.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27201 on: October 20, 2015, 12:24:15 AM »

While I was walking the dogs today I met with his lady. Her dog is crippled with arthritis and cannot bear it's own weight. She told me that she carries it into the garden four or five times a day to do its business and it goes to the vet once a week for an injection of some kind.

I asked her if she had considered having it euthanised and she said she had, and she would know when the time was right, but she thinks it will be quite a while yet.

The dog has been in its current condition for a little over 7 years.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27202 on: October 20, 2015, 10:17:31 AM »

Warning. Graphic image in next post.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27203 on: October 20, 2015, 10:23:25 AM »

Saw this today. It was on a post in the corner of a secluded meadow near the edge of a wood.

I imagine it was left there by a bird of prey that had either been disturbed or had eaten it's fill.

Rod?

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #27204 on: October 20, 2015, 01:59:43 PM »

Is it the remains of a Wood pigeon Tom? Red wine sauce and creamy mash, just the job for tea.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27205 on: October 20, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »

Is it the remains of a Wood pigeon Tom? Red wine sauce and creamy mash, just the job for tea.

Pigeon is great or horrible depending on what it's been feeding on. If it's been on corn,  it's delicious.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27206 on: October 20, 2015, 04:07:13 PM »

Saw this today. It was on a post in the corner of a secluded meadow near the edge of a wood.

I imagine it was left there by a bird of prey that had either been disturbed or had eaten it's fill.

Rod?

Never come across remains looking so half eaten, but aye, I'd have said bird of prey. Eaten head, and from the looks of it innards first - which are the most nutritious I'd have said.

So far as flavour, never had corn fed pigeon, so couldn't say - with pheasant we don't even bother taking the ones the gamies feed corn - tasteless, fat half tame easy victims for shoots. A hill pheasant with a crop full of wild seeds and herbs - not as much meat, can be stringy, but so much taste!!

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27207 on: October 20, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »

So the  power steering failed on Sadie's car.

Ford wanted £1,100 to fix it so I decided to try and do it myself.

I found a replacement on eBay,  but I needed to check if the serial number matched the serial number on mine.

I stripped it down at far as I could without actually removing the part, (which requires the dash to be removed and I don't want to do that until I have the correct replacement).

The trouble was, the bit with the serial number on it was where I couldn't see it.

I found that I could view the part number by using a dental mirror, but it was too small and dimly lit to read do I photographed it with flash and then enlarged the pic.

Unfortunately, the numbers didn't match Sad

Back to the drawing board.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27208 on: October 20, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »

would a smaller independent shop be cheaper than £1100?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27209 on: October 20, 2015, 04:37:12 PM »

would a smaller independent shop be cheaper than £1100?

Probably, but I will still have to source a second hand part to make a significant saving.

I suspect it might be within my own capabilities, everything seems to bolt, screw or plug in.

I've notice that one of the airbag activator thingies is in the way so that could be a problem, or it could require calibration on computer that's fitted with dedicated software, but I need to investigate further.

Pages: 1 ... 1810 1811 1812 1813 [1814] 1815 1816 1817 1818 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: