blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:28:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 1985 1986 [1987] 1988 1989 1990 1991 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3609309 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29790 on: July 16, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »

I meant to ask the oldies on here, do you feel a sense of belonging with other oldies because of your age?

I do. It's like a laid back, nothing to prove, realise that most stuff isn't important, appreciate life day by day and count your blessings, more smiley, more patient kind of clique.

It's great.

Well karabiner & nirvana are better placed to reply than me, Tom, but yes, I know what you mean.

The only problem is that I'm at that age where I keep thinking/saying/writing "I'm at that age".

I had the most unexpected & wonderful few minutes on Saturday, details to follow a little later, but 10 or 20 years ago I would barely have noticed, whereas now, it filled me with joy. It's because I'm at tha......

That's it precisely. I think "I'm at that age" and I smile because I know that others in the clique are thinking it too.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29791 on: July 16, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »

I might write a book.

Zen and the Art of Being Old.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #29792 on: July 16, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »

feck you lot, I still think I'm in my 20s
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #29793 on: July 16, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »

tree question

I am holidaying in Vienna and noticed a species of tree that has "normal" ie rough bark at the lower area of the trunk and then morphs into a silver birch like bark higher up.

Can't identify it although I have tried on the net.

Click to see full-size image.

leaves

Here's a butterfly as well.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29794 on: July 16, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »

Well I would have said silver birch too but I've never seen one like that. The demarcation on the trunk is so abrupt. Almost like it's been photoshopped.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #29795 on: July 16, 2018, 06:50:43 PM »

My fruit trees are grafted onto another tree.  Could that have happened here?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29796 on: July 16, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »

My fruit trees are grafted onto another tree.  Could that have happened here?

Sounds feasible. Or even treesable.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #29797 on: July 16, 2018, 07:15:26 PM »

No its def a species - they are all over the Prater park, some are very tall.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #29798 on: July 16, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »

I meant to ask the oldies on here, do you feel a sense of belonging with other oldies because of your age?

I do. It's like a laid back, nothing to prove, realise that most stuff isn't important, appreciate life day by day and count your blessings, more smiley, more patient kind of clique.

It's great.

Despite the odd froth and rant and the odd nod to my youth (I bought a Discharge T shirt the other day, Stoke's finest punk band, and I couldn't be more pleased with myself) i think I feel the same.

Had something of an epiphany reading a book the other day. The book asked some questions about examining what one really wants from one's life - sorry to sound poncey but it's the easiest way to write it.

I can honestly say that not one of the things I came up with were 'for' me per se , there were no things, no bucket list blah.  I mean, I guess in a roundabout way, what I came up with is for me too because it definitely has reciprocal benefits for me.

I am under no illusions about what I have been but all my future thoughts are in areas like being:

a) A good role model, teacher, mentor to my grandchildren
b) A good, supportive father
c) A passable husband
d) A better son to my somewhat ailing mother (long way to go here)
e) Remaining very positive with my personal outlook and broader view of life and I genuinely, like you, sound, take massive pleasure in the most ordinary of things - some of this may be age but a brush with reasonably serious illness can help this a lot. Not always as I see a lot of people crushed by the weight of a past illness.

Beyond this I think of other charitable, altruistic things but they are aspirations at the moment as I have quite a lot to do with the initial list

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29799 on: July 16, 2018, 10:06:28 PM »

It's great.

Despite the odd froth and rant and the odd nod to my youth (I bought a Discharge T shirt the other day, Stoke's finest punk band, and I couldn't be more pleased with myself) i think I feel the same.

Had something of an epiphany reading a book the other day. The book asked some questions about examining what one really wants from one's life - sorry to sound poncey but it's the easiest way to write it.

I can honestly say that not one of the things I came up with were 'for' me per se , there were no things, no bucket list blah.  I mean, I guess in a roundabout way, what I came up with is for me too because it definitely has reciprocal benefits for me.

I am under no illusions about what I have been but all my future thoughts are in areas like being:

a) A good role model, teacher, mentor to my grandchildren
b) A good, supportive father
c) A passable husband
d) A better son to my somewhat ailing mother (long way to go here)
e) Remaining very positive with my personal outlook and broader view of life and I genuinely, like you, sound, take massive pleasure in the most ordinary of things - some of this may be age but a brush with reasonably serious illness can help this a lot. Not always as I see a lot of people crushed by the weight of a past illness.

Beyond this I think of other charitable, altruistic things but they are aspirations at the moment as I have quite a lot to do with the initial list

Great post Glen. Please remind me to buy you the standard amount of any beverage you fancy the next time I see you.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29800 on: July 17, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #29801 on: July 17, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »

I am so slow - it took me to the last one.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #29802 on: July 17, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »

haha thats funny
got it by the 2nd line btw   Smiley

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29803 on: July 18, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #29804 on: July 18, 2018, 07:01:12 PM »

tree question

I am holidaying in Vienna and noticed a species of tree that has "normal" ie rough bark at the lower area of the trunk and then morphs into a silver birch like bark higher up.

Can't identify it although I have tried on the net.

Science Wife thinks the line is too neat for a natural occurrence. She thinks it could have been something like some kind of disease in the bark so they stripped all the infected bark off.

She also said it reminds her a bit of Tree Sun Burn - but that's mainly because she likes telling people that trees can get sun burnt Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 1985 1986 [1987] 1988 1989 1990 1991 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: