blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:43:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2134 2135 2136 2137 [2138] 2139 2140 2141 2142 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587638 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32055 on: December 07, 2019, 08:45:56 AM »

That's a good spot Trev. I'm impressed.

It's traditional for Gypsies to have good china. These are Mrs Red's 'using pots'.

I should have used a matching plate but the microwave doesn't like the gold.

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32056 on: December 07, 2019, 09:05:17 AM »

We've had a lot of milage from those mugs, as you can see from this pic of an alfresco lunch with tikay when he was young.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32057 on: December 07, 2019, 09:10:07 AM »

God knows how long ago this is.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32058 on: December 07, 2019, 10:05:56 AM »

quick question..

To get to this point,

a - how many cups of tea were consumed?
b- How much cake / bacon sarnies ?
c- as a guess how many swear words were used?

So I did swear a bit but in reality, jobs like this do have their upsides for me.

They are the kind of thing I understand and they give me a chance to use simple skills that I have learned over a lifetime. It's nostalgic and therapeutic. (It's also nice to know that it's costing me £12.49 instead of £109 for parts and perhaps another £100 ish for labour if I took it to the garage)

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32059 on: December 07, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »

Hi Tom,
Did you weld a nut/bolt to the shear bolt to get it out?......or i reckon you maybe 'dremelled' a slot in it and tried it with a screwdriver, think you like the dremel dont you? Smiley

Well I ruled out the nut welding because I was worried that I would damage the paint with the heat.

The Dremmel slot was on my list but I decided to try slackening it by inching it around with a small cold chisel.

Much to my surprise, after about 10 minutes steady tapping it worked and the shear bold rotated about a quarter of a turn.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32060 on: December 07, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »

After that I twiddled around with various pliers and mole grips until I eventually screwed it out.

Now it was obvious that it was meant to be worked on from this side only. If I had but known that before I dismantled most of the interior.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 10:35:18 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32061 on: December 07, 2019, 10:44:16 AM »

So here's the new eBay handle all ready to fit.

I had a bit of farting about with the cables but pretty soon we were ready to bolt it back on.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32062 on: December 07, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »

I had a search through my big box of assorted, 'bound to come in useful one day' nuts and bolts for a shear bolt replacement and found a couple of likely candidates but while I was doing that I came up with an idea that might allow me to use the original bolt.

I carefully tapped an extended 3/8 socket over the round head of the shear bolt. It was a very tight fit and I hoped it would hang on there until the bolt was back in place before twisting off.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32063 on: December 07, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »

Gently does it....

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32064 on: December 07, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »

Ta daaaa!

The only problem now was this was obviously a front door handle designed to take a lock barrel where as my original rear door handle was blanked off. So I sawed the blanking bit off the old one with a junior hacksaw, hammered it into the hole and Bob's your Uncle.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32065 on: December 07, 2019, 11:08:32 AM »

Jobs a good un.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32066 on: December 07, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »

Jobs a good un.

Well, there's a bit of a post-script to this story Boo.

After it was all done I thought I had better check the central locking, so I pressed the button on the key fob, heard the 'Thunk' sound and saw the lights flash as the doors locked, and then heard them immediately unlock themselves again just like they do when the door isn't closed properly.

My heart sank. How could the door not be shutting properly?

I opened it, gave it a good slam and tested the central locking again, same result.

I worked and oiled the mechanism but it was no use, every time I pressed lock it locked and then unlocked again.

It would have to come off again. Bollocks! That fucking shear bolt would be really tight this time too....

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #32067 on: December 07, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »

Jobs a good un.

After it was all done I thought I had better check the central locking, so I pressed the button on the key fob, heard the 'Thunk' sound and saw the lights flash as the doors locked, and then heard them immediately unlock themselves again just like they do when the door isn't closed properly.

I opened it, gave it a good slam and tested the central locking again, same result.

I worked and oiled the mechanism but it was no use, every time I pressed lock it locked and then unlocked again.

It would have to come off again. Bollocks! That fucking shear bolt would be really tight this time too....

Make sure it’s not one of the other doors before you start undoing all your work.,,

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32068 on: December 07, 2019, 02:52:46 PM »

Jobs a good un.

Make sure it’s not one of the other doors before you start undoing all your work.,,

Haha. Great spot David.

The passenger door was open, and I mean WIDE open all the time.

Senility here I come...

engy

View Profile
« Reply #32069 on: December 07, 2019, 04:57:21 PM »

Jobs a good un.

Haha. Great spot David.

The passenger door was open, and I mean WIDE open all the time.

Senility here I come...

😂😂😂
Pages: 1 ... 2134 2135 2136 2137 [2138] 2139 2140 2141 2142 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: