blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2190 2191 2192 2193 [2194] 2195 2196 2197 2198 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3608760 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32895 on: January 25, 2021, 01:43:18 PM »

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSKLet4V/

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32896 on: January 25, 2021, 01:45:10 PM »

A 14yo boy shot and stabbed by a group of 14 - 16yos in a residential street in broad daylight.

Has this kind of thing always happened, (If it has I can't remember it) or is it a recent phenomenon?

Shot might be less likely because of the availability of weapons - but the general sentiment, yes.

Difficult to differentiate between any acutal increase or decrease in behaviour because obviously it can just reflect an increase or decrease in detection of such behaviour. It can also be coupled with more general police behaviour. At certain stages of history their might have been a view that they would discount children as suspects because they just didn't believe it, and at other stages of history they might care less about if they got the actual person as long as it was pinned on someone.

Separately to that this covers the topic  a bit,
https://emotionsblog.history.qmul.ac.uk/2013/11/confessions-of-a-boy-murderer/

The first paragraph from that is is this, "In 1892 a sixteen-year-old boy named John Wise joined his friends on an excursion to Weymouth. On reaching the chosen destination, a stone’s throw from Portland Prison positioned high on a rocky peak, the boy spun round and pushed Lawrence Salter off the cliff. At the coroner’s inquest into the boy’s death Wise explained his reason for committing murder. He simply said, ‘I did it to be hanged.’"

Some interesting points that I hadn't considered in there Jon.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32897 on: January 25, 2021, 01:56:53 PM »

Elon Musk will be pleased to know that he's made it on to my radar.

Well actually I've known about him for a while but I just thought he was some sort of crackpot who had come into a few quid.

Look at this. If it's only half true its astonishing.

https://www.careeraddict.com/elon-musk-accomplishments

That was 2019. He's on course to become the richest man in the world in 2021.

Anyone got shares in him?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32898 on: January 25, 2021, 02:02:23 PM »

Well actually I've known about him for a while but I just thought he was some sort of crackpot who had come into a few quid.

Not forgetting he named his son X Æ A-12.

Quite how that's pronounced I've no idea.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32899 on: January 25, 2021, 02:13:40 PM »

Not forgetting he named his son X Æ A-12.

Quite how that's pronounced I've no idea.

Apparently the correct pronunciation is: “X Ash A Twelve.”

It must be designed to be difficult to make a joke out of.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32900 on: January 26, 2021, 12:53:20 AM »

Speaking of eating dogs, I looked up a story that I read as a boy and stumbled upon this update.

It's a long read, but interesting if you have the time.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2005/183/11/mawson-and-mertz-re-evaluation-their-ill-fated-mapping-journey-during-1911-1914

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #32901 on: January 26, 2021, 11:33:38 AM »

Speaking of eating dogs, I looked up a story that I read as a boy and stumbled upon this update.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2005/183/11/mawson-and-mertz-re-evaluation-their-ill-fated-mapping-journey-during-1911-1914

I'm sure you're aware Tom that certain players in footie-teams have their own personal chants bestowed upon them by the diehard fans.

Some years ago Arsene Wenger signed a relatively unknown Korean player for Arsenal - it was a cheap gamble really which never worked out.

I can't even recall the player's name but I'll always remember his chant: "He''ll shoot - he'll score - he'll eat your labrador"

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32902 on: January 26, 2021, 12:54:58 PM »

I'm sure you're aware Tom that certain players in footie-teams have their own personal chants bestowed upon them by the diehard fans.

Some years ago Arsene Wenger signed a relatively unknown Korean player for Arsenal - it was a cheap gamble really which never worked out.

I can't even recall the player's name but I'll always remember his chant: "He''ll shoot - he'll score - he'll eat your labrador"

Haha that's brilliant Ralph.

I have a penchant for irreverent humour and football fans are the masters.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32903 on: January 26, 2021, 12:57:18 PM »

This tickled me too.
The caption said: Prison Food.

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32904 on: January 26, 2021, 01:53:45 PM »

This is a two-part post with a question in the middle.

My local health authority put this on their website.

Vaccines at our hospital hubs
Now that we are able to offer 1,000 appointments a day, we want to do our bit to ensure that all eligible people who have not yet had a vaccine invitation to receive their first dose, have a chance to book this week.

We can accept bookings for the next seven days (January 26 – February 1) for any member of the public, registered with an NHS number, who is:

70 years+ AND/OR
Clinically Extremely Vulnerable

I went to their booking page, entered the relevant details and was invited to choose from a list of dates and times to receive my initial dose of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine.

It also said that bookings for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine should be made on a different page.

I went to that page and after entering my details I was again offered a list of dates and times.

Unexpectedly I had a choice of vaccines.

In this situation, which would you choose?

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #32905 on: January 26, 2021, 02:51:34 PM »

I didn't realise you could choose.

I think given the choice I would choose Pfizer based on;

The two mRNA vaccines have a slight edge in efficacy; both Pfizer and Moderna report being about 95% effective against COVID-19 after the second shot in clinical trials, while AstraZeneca has reported an average efficacy of 70%, and up to 90% if the dosing is adjusted. (For comparison, the annual flu shot is usually between 40 and 60% effective, per the CDC.)

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #32906 on: January 26, 2021, 02:51:47 PM »

Now that we are able to offer 1,000 appointments a day, we want to do our bit to ensure that all eligible people who have not yet had a vaccine invitation to receive their first dose, have a chance to book this week.

We can accept bookings for the next seven days (January 26 – February 1) for any member of the public, registered with an NHS number, who is:

70 years+ AND/OR

I went to their booking page, entered the relevant details and was invited to choose from a list of dates and times to receive my initial dose of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine.

It also said that bookings for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine should be made on a different page.

I went to that page and after entering my details I was again offered a list of dates and times.

The EU are hesitating at accepting the Oxford vaccine for over 65's at the moment citing lack of testing in older people. AstraZeneca are meant to be addressing it but until they do I'd probably go Pfizer.

Although reports that it is only 8% effective are shite, it's just that only 8% of those tested were over 55 & they've questions about it.

AstraZeneca’s main trial in Britain started testing on adults no older than 55 because it initially focused on healthcare personnel and frontline workers in active duty.

Elderly trial participants were recruited later so that infections, which are needed to arrive at reliable efficacy data, were also coming in later.

Researchers at Oxford University said in a paper published in medical journal The Lancet on Dec. 8, when details of key vaccine trials held in Britain and Brazil were released, that efficacy data based on infections in the elderly were still limited.

“Efficacy data in these cohorts are currently limited by the small number of (infection) cases, but additional data will be available in future analyses,” they said in the paper.

I'd say that I'd take whichever one was offered since until you get the second it shouldn't really change your level of shielding. By the time they are giving the second the data on effectiveness in older folk should be out.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:04:01 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32907 on: January 26, 2021, 03:14:34 PM »

70 years+ AND/OR

The EU are hesitating at accepting the Oxford vaccine for over 65's at the moment citing lack of testing in older people. AstraZeneca are meant to be addressing it but until they do I'd probably go Pfizer.

Although reports that it is only 8% effective are shite, it's just that only 8% of those tested were over 55 & they've questions about it.

AstraZeneca’s main trial in Britain started testing on adults no older than 55 because it initially focused on healthcare personnel and frontline workers in active duty.

Elderly trial participants were recruited later so that infections, which are needed to arrive at reliable efficacy data, were also coming in later.

Researchers at Oxford University said in a paper published in medical journal The Lancet on Dec. 8, when details of key vaccine trials held in Britain and Brazil were released, that efficacy data based on infections in the elderly were still limited.

“Efficacy data in these cohorts are currently limited by the small number of (infection) cases, but additional data will be available in future analyses,” they said in the paper.

I'd say that I'd take whichever one was offered since until you get the second it shouldn't really change your level of shielding. By the time they are giving the second the data on effectiveness in older folk should be out.

As you said, the report seems to be nonsense as the trial data for AstraZeneca was reported in November.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/covid-vaccine-how-effective-astrazeneca-pfizer-moderna-vaccination-efficacy-compared-what-meaning-845136

I wouldn't worry about any of them, given the time that has passed and the number now vaccinated. 

Pfizer has better results, but resulta are really good from all, and the AstraZeneca has been tested with longer intervals betwen doses. 

Feels like swings and roundabouts.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32908 on: January 26, 2021, 04:54:40 PM »

I didn't realise you could choose.

I think given the choice I would choose Pfizer based on;

The two mRNA vaccines have a slight edge in efficacy; both Pfizer and Moderna report being about 95% effective against COVID-19 after the second shot in clinical trials, while AstraZeneca has reported an average efficacy of 70%, and up to 90% if the dosing is adjusted. (For comparison, the annual flu shot is usually between 40 and 60% effective, per the CDC.)

I don't think you are actually meant to choose Stu, I just happened to noticed that the two clinics were using different vaccines.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32909 on: January 26, 2021, 05:01:06 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.

Anyway, realising that I had a choice, I immediately started trying to review both vaccines.

It was a real minefield but after half an hour or so I decided to plumpt for Pfizer. I went back to the page and found that all the appointments had been taken.

I quickly opened the Oxford page and they were all gone too.

Serves me right I suppose.

Pages: 1 ... 2190 2191 2192 2193 [2194] 2195 2196 2197 2198 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: