blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2193 2194 2195 2196 [2197] 2198 2199 2200 2201 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3610050 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32940 on: January 28, 2021, 02:07:05 PM »

Given I am not going to find a French/Spanish person to swap with right now, won't you get much of the benefit just by watching stuff for toddlers and reading kids books in French/Spanish.  At least that is how I understand it.

I have a bad O level in French, but need a refresher.  My eldest is learning French and though I can remember more than I thought I could, I still struggle to converse, as I am just remembering parts.  It would be good to get up to speed quickly.

Watching this baby stuff, especially that with no English seems to be working better for me (Total beginner) than the apps that, even as a beginner, want me to conjugate verbs.

I have no idea how to conjugate a verb, even in English. I probably do it, but I don't know I'm doing it.

The older I get, the better I was.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #32941 on: January 28, 2021, 03:06:56 PM »

I'm a bit sceptical about "this is the way a baby learns" theory.  Mainly because the baby's brain isn't full of FCA compliance rules, draw advantage over thirsk's five furlongs and old frank always says "how much to me" when he has the nuts.

To learn a language properly "food","comida" and "essen" have exactly the same effect on the brain.  The sound acts on the brain and the information is created.  There is no translation.  A friend of mine said that his bilingual niece just mixes up the languages in a sentence.  I do think there is too much stuff in my brain to ever get fluent.

Talking of poker, I got a free ticket for a stars tourney before xmas and quite enjoyed it, so decided to see what the kids were up to and signed up for a free course. The course started with a link to the rules of holdem, so super basic.  Forty minutes later we were doing some "simple calculus"......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32942 on: January 28, 2021, 03:14:46 PM »

Given I am not going to find a French/Spanish person to swap with right now, won't you get much of the benefit just by watching stuff for toddlers and reading kids books in French/Spanish.  At least that is how I understand it.

I have a bad O level in French, but need a refresher.  My eldest is learning French and though I can remember more than I thought I could, I still struggle to converse, as I am just remembering parts.  It would be good to get up to speed quickly.

Watching this baby stuff, especially that with no English seems to be working better for me (Total beginner) than the apps that, even as a beginner, want me to conjugate verbs.

I have no idea how to conjugate a verb, even in English. I probably do it, but I don't know I'm doing it.

I missed a lot of grammar learning as a child, I think I must have moved schools at a bad time, so have little idea what the rules are. 

I have spent an enormous amount of my working life writing reports and documenting complex topics, and feel very comfortable doing so, so think much of my missing grammar knowledge isn't that useful.

I do still fear the grammar questions from my 8 year old.  Thank goodness we have google to help us get by.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #32943 on: January 28, 2021, 03:26:13 PM »

"Pendlebury" was the cry signifying an hour of boredom in my day.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32944 on: January 28, 2021, 03:35:04 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Who even wants to play poker like that?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32945 on: January 28, 2021, 07:45:12 PM »

So I rocked up at the Peepul Center in Leicester for my vaccination. My appointment was for 6pm but I arrived at 5:30 and was told to go straight in.

I was temperature checked and had my hands disinfected, then I was ushered to a desk where I completed a form that required my name, address, age and NHS number.

I had been warned to take photo id and a letter to prove that I was shielding but neither of these were checked.

I was then shown to an almost empty waiting area.

Within a couple of minutes I went into another room and was given the vaccine by a nurse. She gave me a quick spiel about possible side-effects and that was that.

The surprising thing was they were obviously operating far below capacity.

The Peepul Centre is right in the middle of a very large Asian community, I would estimate that the population within in a 5 mile radius are 95% Asian and I think the uptake among that group must be poor.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32946 on: January 28, 2021, 08:14:56 PM »

So I rocked up at the Peepul Center in Leicester for my vaccination. My appointment was for 6pm but I arrived at 5:30 and was told to go straight in.

I was temperature checked and had my hands disinfected, then I was ushered to a desk where I completed a form that required my name, address, age and NHS number.

I had been warned to take photo id and a letter to prove that I was shielding but neither of these were checked.

Within a couple of minutes I went into another room and was given the vaccine by a nurse. She gave me a quick spiel about possible side-effects and that was that.

The Peepul Centre is right in the middle of a very large Asian community, I would estimate that the population within in a 5 mile radius are 95% Asian and I think the uptake among that group must be poor.

Ben Goldacre and colleagues are producing lots of Covid Stats.  The take up is lower amongst South Asians, but not massively so.

https://twitter.com/bengoldacre/status/1354353492266246146

We observed a substantial divergence in vaccination by ethnicity within the over 80 group (White 42.5% vaccinated, Black 20.5%, South Asian 29.5%, mixed 27%, other 27%, Unknown 39.7%)

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32947 on: January 28, 2021, 09:02:22 PM »

Ben Goldacre and colleagues are producing lots of Covid Stats.  The take up is lower amongst South Asians, but not massively so.

https://twitter.com/bengoldacre/status/1354353492266246146

We observed a substantial divergence in vaccination by ethnicity within the over 80 group (White 42.5% vaccinated, Black 20.5%, South Asian 29.5%, mixed 27%, other 27%, Unknown 39.7%)

Interesting.

Obviously I had to identify as "Other" on the tick box.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32948 on: January 29, 2021, 11:54:14 AM »

The Google translate app is great for practicing on.

These are two of my attempts to ask for sausages with eggs.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #32949 on: January 29, 2021, 02:21:37 PM »

Con is Spanish for with.

Hope this helps.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #32950 on: January 29, 2021, 06:01:09 PM »

he wants sausages on eggs - not to much to ask surely?  You're the wurst, Ralph!
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32951 on: January 31, 2021, 03:18:56 PM »

Have you seen that Lenor softner advert where people won't get out of bed because the sheets smell so lovely and scenty?

Well urrrg. I hate the idea of scented sheets. I can't believe that anyone could like it.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32952 on: January 31, 2021, 05:46:55 PM »

Watch the Big Cats series on BBC iplayer.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32953 on: January 31, 2021, 05:48:43 PM »

Well, what are you still doing here? I said watch it.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32954 on: January 31, 2021, 07:33:18 PM »

I've been trying to decide whether the artist formally known as Prince Harry is a tit or a trailblazer.

I've decided on tit.

If he hadn't waited for Megan to come along and tell him what to do l might have decided differently.

Pages: 1 ... 2193 2194 2195 2196 [2197] 2198 2199 2200 2201 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: