blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:42:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272606 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 646 647 [648] 649 650 651 652 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3608440 times)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #9705 on: August 26, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »

There is a TV programme (It's on now) called Heir Hunters, where rival companies search out the heirs to unclaimed estates. (If the estates remain unclaimed, they go to the treasury)

I understand that the "Heir Hunter" teams get a % of the estate as a finders fee, but I can't figure out how this is agreed upon.

I mean, what if the new found heir says, "No, I'd like to keep all the money thank you"?

I would imagine the heirs have to sign a contract agreeing to the finders fee before the company reveal any information.  I've seen the programme once, a fair while ago, but seem to recall that in one of the cases one of the chaps they were talking to decided to pursue his claim through a rival company, so one can only assume our 'heir hunters' were undercut

I suppose... But I'm surprised that some people don't decide to approach the treasury themselves once they learn that there is an inheritance pending.

Some of them do Tom, however not everyone realises that you can and therefore think the way to get the money is through the Heir hunters.

I watch this all the time.

A recent one had been going on for years as a millionairess had tried to get rid of all her links to her true identity as a commoner to keep her past hidden from the high society circles she was part off.

Heir Hunters were finding it hard to trace her beginnings but managed a link through an old photo and some old car document. Was a great episode.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9706 on: August 26, 2010, 10:38:27 AM »

There is a TV programme (It's on now) called Heir Hunters, where rival companies search out the heirs to unclaimed estates. (If the estates remain unclaimed, they go to the treasury)

I understand that the "Heir Hunter" teams get a % of the estate as a finders fee, but I can't figure out how this is agreed upon.

I mean, what if the new found heir says, "No, I'd like to keep all the money thank you"?

I would imagine the heirs have to sign a contract agreeing to the finders fee before the company reveal any information.  I've seen the programme once, a fair while ago, but seem to recall that in one of the cases one of the chaps they were talking to decided to pursue his claim through a rival company, so one can only assume our 'heir hunters' were undercut

I suppose... But I'm surprised that some people don't decide to approach the treasury themselves once they learn that there is an inheritance pending.

I don't imagine it's as straightforward as that.  the relationships are often tenuous, with the heirs usually not even knowing about the existence of the relative that has died.  I don't imagine one would get very far with the treasury by rocking up saying - 'i believe someone (whose name and relationship to me I don't know) has died and i'm entitled to some cash'.  I suppose once the heir hunters show up at the door you could choose to research the information and try to work it out for yourself, but most people, I would have thought, would rather pay the admin fee to have all the relevant information quickly available.  I wonder how much they charge?

That makes perfect sense, I'm sure you're right Claire.

I heard on a recent episode that the fee is around the 25% mark, but can be as high as 40%.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9707 on: August 26, 2010, 10:42:07 AM »

OK, I have do do some work now.

I'm working online today. I need to concentrate, so I would appreciate it of no one posted anything interesting or distracting for a while.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #9708 on: August 26, 2010, 10:44:45 AM »

I would imagine the heirs have to sign a contract agreeing to the finders fee before the company reveal any information.  I've seen the programme once, a fair while ago, but seem to recall that in one of the cases one of the chaps they were talking to decided to pursue his claim through a rival company, so one can only assume our 'heir hunters' were undercut

I don't imagine it's as straightforward as that.  the relationships are often tenuous, with the heirs usually not even knowing about the existence of the relative that has died.  I don't imagine one would get very far with the treasury by rocking up saying - 'i believe someone (whose name and relationship to me I don't know) has died and i'm entitled to some cash'.  I suppose once the heir hunters show up at the door you could choose to research the information and try to work it out for yourself, but most people, I would have thought, would rather pay the admin fee to have all the relevant information quickly available.  I wonder how much they charge?

That makes perfect sense, I'm sure you're right Claire.

I heard on a recent episode that the fee is around the 25% mark, but can be as high as 40%.

25% seems pretty reasonable, and I'd be happy to pay it I think.  If it wasn't for these bods turning up at the door I'd have unlikely ever known about the inheritance anyway, so it's all a bonus.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9709 on: August 26, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »

I'm working online today. I need to concentrate, so I would appreciate it of no one posted anything interesting or distracting for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_signalling

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9710 on: August 26, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »

Laaa laaaa laaaa laaaa

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9711 on: August 26, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »

You should see Berlin's main railway station btw. I have some pics somewhere.

And... have you ever ridden in the caboose of a slow train on a single track? It's amazing. I have some pics somewhere...

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9712 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »

Laaa laaaa laaaa laaaa

You are reading it though. The section on the "Block Signalling" methodology explains so much, I think you'd agree.

MereNovice is a bit of a geek expert on railway matters, to. He writes the software for railway timetables & stuff. How much fun must that be?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9713 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »

Now, where was I?

Oh yes... WORK!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9714 on: August 26, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »

And... have you ever ridden in the caboose of a slow train on a single track? It's amazing. I have some pics somewhere...

Ooh, get you! That's not a word that's used often these days. Nice one.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9715 on: August 26, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »

It is use it to refer to women's arses when I'm pretending to be a cowboy.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9716 on: August 26, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »

Moving on from the delightful use of "caboose", recent articles about the mackerel fishing quotas dispute that has caused so much unrest among the Scottish fishing community repeatedly used the word "pelagic", which I'd never once seen or heard before.

I'm curious as to the origin of that word. What's the betting that Tighty & AndrewT will know?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9717 on: August 26, 2010, 11:14:38 AM »

Some of them do Tom, however not everyone realises that you can and therefore think the way to get the money is through the Heir hunters.

I watch this all the time.

A recent one had been going on for years as a millionairess had tried to get rid of all her links to her true identity as a commoner to keep her past hidden from the high society circles she was part off.

Heir Hunters were finding it hard to trace her beginnings but managed a link through an old photo and some old car document. Was a great episode.

Geo

I have to admit that they really earned their money in today's episode Geo. It was a really poignant story too.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #9718 on: August 26, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »

It is use it to refer to women's arses when I'm pretending to be a cowboy.

Speaking of which, I noticed some interesting "accidental" inclusions in you holiday snaps...

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9719 on: August 26, 2010, 11:16:29 AM »

Moving on from the delightful use of "caboose", recent articles about the mackerel fishing quotas dispute that has caused so much unrest among the Scottish fishing community repeatedly used the word "pelagic", which I'd never once seen or heard before.

I'm curious as to the origin of that word. What's the betting that Tighty & AndrewT will know?

Andrew will know, Tighty will have a list of all possible meanings, past and present.

Pages: 1 ... 644 645 646 647 [648] 649 650 651 652 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: