blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:00:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1768 1769 1770 1771 [1772] 1773 1774 1775 1776 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3599331 times)
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26565 on: March 03, 2015, 06:49:14 PM »

Meanwhile, on Twitter-

Cymru am byth
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26566 on: March 03, 2015, 07:22:08 PM »

Wildlife presenter Steve Backshall agrees that while highly unusual it is not totally unheard of and has "no reason to doubt" the photo.
He compared the woodpecker to other animals like leaf cutter ants and rhino beetles, which can carry 850 times their body weight.

What an earthenware receptacle of excrement.  

The older I get, the better I was.
maccol

View Profile
« Reply #26567 on: March 03, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »

Is it a leather-seated uni-cycle?

Embracing the variance.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #26568 on: March 03, 2015, 09:26:11 PM »

Wildlife presenter Steve Backshall agrees that while highly unusual it is not totally unheard of and has "no reason to doubt" the photo.
He compared the woodpecker to other animals like leaf cutter ants and rhino beetles, which can carry 850 times their body weight.

do you absolutely think this is impossible? like more than say... a 1000/1 shot if you left a woodpecker and a weasel in a room?

obviously I wasn't particularly taken in by the BBC describing someone as an 'expert' without any further explanation of their credentials....but you strike me as the kind of bloke whose intuition about whether this is possible or not is likely correct...so.....
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26569 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »

do you absolutely think this is impossible? like more than say... a 1000/1 shot if you left a woodpecker and a weasel in a room?

obviously I wasn't particularly taken in by the BBC describing someone as an 'expert' without any further explanation of their credentials....but you strike me as the kind of bloke whose intuition about whether this is possible or not is likely correct...so.....

Well I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's absolutely, totally and utterly impossible.

I would imagine a bird that has evolved to carry prey would probably be able to lift about 1/3 to 1/2 of it's own weight if it were gripped in it's talons where it wouldn't affect wing movement and aerodynamics too much.

Hopefully, Rod will be along soon to enlighten us.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #26570 on: March 04, 2015, 01:01:58 AM »

Well I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's absolutely, totally and utterly impossible.

I would imagine a bird that has evolved to carry prey would probably be able to lift about 1/3 to 1/2 of it's own weight if it were gripped in it's talons where it wouldn't affect wing movement and aerodynamics too much.

I'm tempted to believe it though - thinking the fright of being jumped on by a weasel would see the woodpecker get airborn for a short while, before the weight took it back down (and the photographer says he saw it land).

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26571 on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »

I'm tempted to believe it though - thinking the fright of being jumped on by a weasel would see the woodpecker get airborn for a short while, before the weight took it back down (and the photographer says he saw it land).

Yeah, I see what you mean. It was so afraid that it defied the laws of physics.

If you call falling off a branch with a weasel on you back flying then I could do it.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26572 on: March 04, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »

And that's assuming the photo is genuine, which I also don't believe.

I feel like I should add a Scot's themed insult here but I can't think of one at the moment, so you will just have to use your imagination.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #26573 on: March 04, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »

If you call falling off a branch with a weasel on you back flying then I could do it.

I don't believe it does break the laws of physics though.

A woodpecker is approx 21cm in length with a wingspan of 30cm.

Going by the picture the weasel is at the low end of the size range for a female - (11 to 20cm) - so I'd expect low end of the weight range too - (29g to 110g according to wiki).

I''ve seen a jackdaw fly off from the ground with a 90g fatball hanging from its beak. At 2/3 the size of a jackdaw I'm don't see a problem with a woodpecker taking off with 30g on its back and getting a few feet. especially as the weasel is along the back, better weight distribution and streamlining than a ball hanging from the beak.

Also if an osprey can catch and fly off with a fish of near it's own body weight, I'm pretty confident a woodpecker can carry a good bit less than it's weight. (Again from wiki) The osprey is 0.9–2.1 kg (2.0–4.6 lb) in weight and 50–66 cm (20–26 in) in length with a 127–180 cm (50–71 in) wingspan. It typically takes fish weighing 150–300 g (5.3–10.6 oz) and about 25–35 cm (9.8–13.8 in) in length, but the weight can range from 50 grams (1.8 oz) to 2 kg (4.4 lb). Virtually any type of fish in that size range are taken.

Going by the other pics the photographer got it doesn't seem to have been a long flight.

https://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=4886

Would be  a tough challenge for mythbusters to prove though Cheesy

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #26574 on: March 04, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »

And that's assuming the photo is genuine, which I also don't believe.

I feel like I should add a Scot's themed insult here but I can't think of one at the moment, so you will just have to use your imagination.

Is cynicism a natural by-product of old age? Or you just feeling naturally curmudgeonly?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26575 on: March 04, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »

Going by the picture the weasel is at the low end of the size range for a female - (11 to 20cm) - so I'd expect low end of the weight range too - (29g to 110g according to wiki).

I''ve seen a jackdaw fly off from the ground with a 90g fatball hanging from its beak. At 2/3 the size of a jackdaw I'm don't see a problem with a woodpecker taking off with 30g on its back and getting a few feet. especially as the weasel is along the back, better weight distribution and streamlining than a ball hanging from the beak.

Also if an osprey can catch and fly off with a fish of near it's own body weight, I'm pretty confident a woodpecker can carry a good bit less than it's weight. (Again from wiki) The osprey is 0.9–2.1 kg (2.0–4.6 lb) in weight and 50–66 cm (20–26 in) in length with a 127–180 cm (50–71 in) wingspan. It typically takes fish weighing 150–300 g (5.3–10.6 oz) and about 25–35 cm (9.8–13.8 in) in length, but the weight can range from 50 grams (1.8 oz) to 2 kg (4.4 lb). Virtually any type of fish in that size range are taken.

Going by the other pics the photographer got it doesn't seem to have been a long flight.

Would be  a tough challenge for mythbusters to prove though Cheesy

Pish

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #26576 on: March 04, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »

Would be  a tough challenge for mythbusters to prove though Cheesy

Pish

But you believe the osprey pics where they catch a fish and take off out of the water carrying it?

Click to see full-size image.
Fish is roughly the same relative length as the weasel - and a fish is pure muscle....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:35:50 AM by Rod Paradise » Logged

Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #26577 on: March 04, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »

Rod's sig. 

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26578 on: March 04, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »

Doubting Thomas.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #26579 on: March 04, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »

It's remarkable what a woodpecker can lift..

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Pages: 1 ... 1768 1769 1770 1771 [1772] 1773 1774 1775 1776 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: