blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1801 1802 1803 1804 [1805] 1806 1807 1808 1809 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3603977 times)
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27060 on: October 04, 2015, 10:05:31 AM »

That's a farmer you want to get to know Red - English longhorn is supposed to produce the best steaks of all the breeds.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #27061 on: October 04, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »

My first ever game of snooker was in 1969 at the Brynmawr Snooker Club in Wales. I was 11 years old.

My memories of that evening are a mixed bag. Some parts are hazy, others are pin sharp. For example I remember being there with my dad and his friend, but I don't recall who that was. I know my younger brother Tracy was there too. Tracy and I were not allowed to play, we were to sit quietly on a long wooden bench and sip our mugs of Oxo. In my minds eye, I can still see the snooker room in perfect detail.

Unlike the bright, spacious, piped music, slot machined establishments of today, snooker clubs, or 'billiard halls' back then were dark and quiet. There was the odd dim bulb hanging by a cord from an invisible ceiling, and another even dimmer one over each score board. The only real light was the one that came slanting down in a bright yellow wedge from beneath the shade over the table. It made the surrounding gloom seem even darker, and the tables appear to be floating in space.

Watching a game was like watching a movie screen, all the action took place within the confines of that bright oblong. Colored balls rolled across the the green baize, smoke from cigarettes placed on the rail curled lazily upwards, faces appeared as players bent to take a shot, and then faded away as they stood up and stepped back.

There was virtually no sound other than the clink of the balls and the hum of quiet conversation. To me, sitting on the wooden bench with my mug of Oxo, it was the most grown up, exciting and sophisticated thing I had ever seen. I was totally captivated.

Something happened. I have no idea what it was but it must have been pretty important because suddenly my dad was explaining to me that he and his mate had to leave for a while and that we were to wait here until he returned, no matter how long that was. Seconds after that, Tracy and I were alone on the bench.

I remember being scared. I was in a totally alien environment and my dad's behavior was completely out of character. I looked across at Tracy. He was chewing the collar of his duffle coat. A sure sign that tears were not far away.

If I'd had a duffle coat, I would have been chewing it too.

Incredible piece of writing Tom. I was sitting on that bench with you.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27062 on: October 04, 2015, 10:27:54 AM »

^^^^

Agree with Geo.

Meanwhile, we impatiently await the denouement.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #27063 on: October 04, 2015, 10:57:01 AM »

^^^^

Agree with Geo.

^^ This ^^ Great word Tony.

Our snooker club was over a Burton store in Stoke town centre. The lights and timer was controlled by the bloke from behind the counter. When I say counter mean a hole in the wall into a tiny square room. Bare floorboards and only the light from the tables illuminating the room. The clinking of the balls from the dozen or so tables was mesmerising as a young teenager.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27064 on: October 04, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »

^^^^

Agree with Geo.

Our snooker club was over a Burton store in Stoke town centre. The lights and timer was controlled by the bloke from behind the counter. When I say counter mean a hole in the wall into a tiny square room. Bare floorboards and only the light from the tables illuminating the room. The clinking of the balls from the dozen or so tables was mesmerising as a young teenager.

A bit like poker, in that snooker halls were frequented by dodgy sorts, "night people", blokes with no visible means of support, legs excepted. Just loved the dodgy atmo, always did, always will.

Glad you liked my word, I'm trying to write better. Badly better.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:42:27 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27065 on: October 04, 2015, 11:07:43 AM »

^^^^

Agree with Geo.

So many billiard halls were over what is or used to be a Burton's shop Kev. (you can tell ex Burton's shops long after they have become something else because Sir Montague always had his name engraved in the stone lintel over the door) I personally know of at least 5 in the Midlands. I wonder why that was?

The hole in the wall and the tiny room- I was going to talk about that in my next installment. I think they were almost mandatory, every club had one.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27066 on: October 04, 2015, 11:13:38 AM »

The light was controlled by the bloke in the small room. There was a board with a Bakelite switch for each table. Above the switch was the table number and below it was a hook. When you started you game the bloke would write the time down on a scrap of paper, slip it on to the hook and turn your light on.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27067 on: October 04, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »

Later on, timers were introduced, I suppose they were intended to stop the bloke who lived in the little room from fiddling. when he turned on the light a counter started and when you finished you were charged accordingly.

I've seen loads of arguments break out because the light was turned on before the players had set the balls up. Some of then would even adopt their break off stance before turning their head to signal with a nod that they were ready.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27068 on: October 04, 2015, 11:40:51 AM »

^^^^

Agree with Geo.

A bit like poker, in that snooker halls were frequented by dodgy sorts, "night people", blokes with no visible means of support, legs excepted. Kist loved the dodgy atmo, always did, always will.

Glad you liked my word, I'm trying to write better. Badly better.

Characters? OMG! There were so many.

One of my early mentors was a bloke called Staffy Brittle from Rotherham. You might have come across him. He was quite old when I met him but still very capable of hustling a few quid. A great money match player who knew all the tricks.

We were an unlikely pair but he took a shine to me for some reason and would arrange matches for me and put the money up.

He once showd me how to escape an 'impossible' snooker by pointing to a spot in the jaw of a pocket as he walked past on his way to the loo.

He must be long gone now but I would love to know what happened to him.

I've googled him in the past but only found fleeting mentions.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=225377

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27069 on: October 04, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »

I'm supposed to be tidying my shed up btw.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27070 on: October 04, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »

Bloody Hell!

I'm sat here googling Staffy Brittle now. One more mug of tea and I'm going to do my chores.

I found this..

Back then there was also the College Snooker Club on Effingham Street, above the old College Inn. Then some time later another smoker club opened in the Esseldo buildings at the top of the High Street, I also enjoyed that. “Staffy” Brittle who was the top player in Rotherham for many years and was a well-known character and fixture in Burton’s moved to the new club when it opened and was involved with the running of it in some capacity I think.

And tantalisingly, this heading from a page that won't open. I know it's the same Staffy because he used to tel some fantastic wartime stories.

Forces Reunited - Members Memories - Memories from ...
www.forcesreunited.org.uk/members.../2522/.../sps_Benghazi
Military Memories, Find Military Friends, Find Army Friends, Find Navy Friends and Find RAF ... I said goodbye to my co-worker Staffy Brittle, at the steel plant.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27071 on: October 04, 2015, 12:01:28 PM »

What would we do without google, Tom?

I tried "Bing" once, which is the Microsoft version I believe. Useless compared to google.

It really is something that changes our lives very much for the better. And it's free.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27072 on: October 04, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »

I tried "Bing" once, which is the Microsoft version I believe. Useless compared to google.

It really is something that changes our lives very much for the better. And it's free.

I know!

A random old bloke, last seen in the 1970s. It's amazing that I can find anything at all.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #27073 on: October 04, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »

I think you'll find that Bing uses Google too.

http://www.wired.com/2011/02/bing-copies-google/

Ah! The element of surprise
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #27074 on: October 04, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »

Bloody Hell!

I'm sat here googling Staffy Brittle now. One more mug of tea and I'm going to do my chores.

I found this..

Back then there was also the College Snooker Club on Effingham Street, above the old College Inn. Then some time later another smoker club opened in the Esseldo buildings at the top of the High Street, I also enjoyed that. “Staffy” Brittle who was the top player in Rotherham for many years and was a well-known character and fixture in Burton’s moved to the new club when it opened and was involved with the running of it in some capacity I think.

And tantalisingly, this heading from a page that won't open. I know it's the same Staffy because he used to tel some fantastic wartime stories.

Forces Reunited - Members Memories - Memories from ...
www.forcesreunited.org.uk/members.../2522/.../sps_Benghazi
Military Memories, Find Military Friends, Find Army Friends, Find Navy Friends and Find RAF ... I said goodbye to my co-worker Staffy Brittle, at the steel plant.

Here you go Tom

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:XB62F9UVLe8J:www.forcesreunited.org.uk/members_memories/2522/REME_12th_armoured_wk/sps_att_3_base_wk/sps_Benghazi+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Ah! The element of surprise
Pages: 1 ... 1801 1802 1803 1804 [1805] 1806 1807 1808 1809 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: