blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:09:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1802 1803 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 1809 1810 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3599919 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27075 on: October 05, 2015, 04:10:50 PM »

Bloody Hell!

I'm sat here googling Staffy Brittle now. One more mug of tea and I'm going to do my chores.

I found this..

Back then there was also the College Snooker Club on Effingham Street, above the old College Inn. Then some time later another smoker club opened in the Esseldo buildings at the top of the High Street, I also enjoyed that. “Staffy” Brittle who was the top player in Rotherham for many years and was a well-known character and fixture in Burton’s moved to the new club when it opened and was involved with the running of it in some capacity I think.

And tantalisingly, this heading from a page that won't open. I know it's the same Staffy because he used to tel some fantastic wartime stories.

Forces Reunited - Members Memories - Memories from ...
www.forcesreunited.org.uk/members.../2522/.../sps_Benghazi
Military Memories, Find Military Friends, Find Army Friends, Find Navy Friends and Find RAF ... I said goodbye to my co-worker Staffy Brittle, at the steel plant.

Here you go Tom

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:XB62F9UVLe8J:www.forcesreunited.org.uk/members_memories/2522/REME_12th_armoured_wk/sps_att_3_base_wk/sps_Benghazi+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

That's great. Thanks Mr bobbleHat.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27076 on: October 05, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »

Sigh!

If I tell Mrs Red I will do something then I will do it. I don't understand why she has to keep reminding me every six months.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27077 on: October 05, 2015, 07:36:38 PM »

We have an old portacabin that we use as a second bath/laundry room. It's one that my dad kitted out about nine or ten years ago and I've just finished repairing a latch on a door that my dad fitted to separate the shower-toilet section from the washer-dryer section.

The door latch had become stiff and sometimes it would jam so that you couldn't open the door. It's needed seeing to for a while but as Mrs R said, "You won't be happy until I get locked in there".

Well she did get locked in there and I was happy, but I couldn't really put off mending the latch and longer.

When you press down on a door handle it turns a square connecting rod. This rod then turns a small cog which drags the latch backwards, allowing you to open the door. When you let the handle go a small spring pulls the latch forward again and a bigger, stronger spring returns the handle to it's starting position.

It's a lovely simple system and for the most part it performs faultlessly day in day out for years, sometimes for decades. We only really notice it when it goes wrong. 

When it does go wrong, it's usually because the years of metal against metal movement have worn the moving parts a little and that wear produces swarf, a kind on metallic sawdust that that eventually builds up to a point where it gums up the works.

It's a simple fix. just remove the mechanism, clean out the swarf, old grease etc, re lubricate and re fit. Job done.

I set about doing ours and was immediately reminded that this was my dad's handiwork. For a start the door was quite a bit thicker than normal and I knew that this would be because he had gone to a builder's yard or something and asked if they had any old doors kicking about.

"Oh, any size will do, I'll make it fit".

When I came to remove the door handle I could see that the extra thick door had meant that the screws supplied for fitting it had been too short to pass through into the opposite handle, so he had run a drill bit right through both handle back plates and joined them together with some long bolts instead of screws. Obviously they were actually too long because I could see where he had hack-sawed the surplus off.

This arrangement will have worked fine for a while, but the nuts that he used to secure the bolts must have started to work loose because at some point he also fitted a secondary nut or 'lock-nut' to keep the first nut in place.

Finally, if you look at the striker plate, (where the catch pokes through) you can see that it's home made. I haven't figured out why this is yet, perhaps he used a second hand lock set and the original striker was missing.

Mending that latch turned in to quite a poignant little job, Putting my hands where his hands had been, undoing bolts that he had done up, following his though process, seeing how he had solved these little problems.

When I was a kid, I would 'help' him with stuff like this. All the while the would be talking softly, explaining things, letting me try it.

I miss him so much, but then again, so much of him is always with me.

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #27078 on: October 05, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »

I so wish I could do this stuff, Tom.

id have called a joiner/locksmith/my dad.

Wonderfully written.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27079 on: October 05, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »

Meh!

I wish I could do algebra, speak a foreign language, or get to the final of the 'blonds greatest mind' quiz.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27080 on: October 05, 2015, 08:02:44 PM »

Meh!

I wish I could do algebra, speak a foreign language, or get to the final of the 'blonds greatest mind' quiz.

Lol Tom. Geordie isn't a foreign language!!!!

Loved the snooker story, I know you're a lot older than me but can really relate to it. Was even able to picture it as I was reading, so it must have been quite well written.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #27081 on: October 05, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »

Proper bit of engineering ingenuity .
Tom is older than celtic ? Smiley

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27082 on: October 06, 2015, 09:42:29 AM »

Proper bit of engineering ingenuity .
Tom is older than celtic ? Smiley

Yeah, but nowhere near as rotund.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27083 on: October 06, 2015, 09:43:55 AM »

Tom - loved the door handle story, & the snooker tale.

Write more stories. It's a shit diary, but those occasional stories make it worthwhile. Just about. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27084 on: October 06, 2015, 11:59:40 AM »

Write more stories. It's a shit diary, but those occasional stories make it worthwhile. Just about. 

More on the snooker soon. It's just that I haven't really thought about that day properly for ages, if ever, and now that I have it's brought back so many memories. Snooker ended up being a major part of my life for the next 20 or so years.

It's difficult to know what to include and what to leave out.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #27085 on: October 06, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »

Lovely story remembering your Dad Tom. I reminisce frequently about my Mum, she was amazing. I rarely think of my father. My memories with him are few and only as a young Kid. In fact I probably only saw him once between 19 year old and when died, even then he let me down to go to the pub. I really love the stories involving your Dad especially when making/repairing stuff.

As Tony said more please.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27086 on: October 06, 2015, 07:37:24 PM »

Did you have dealings with the Francisco brothers?

A rum pair they were

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27087 on: October 06, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »

Did you have dealings with the Francisco brothers?

A rum pair they were

Yes.

When he was going through his divorce I bought a gold Rolex with a diamond bezel from Silvino so that he could pocket the cash without his wife getting a share and also so that he would have money to play snooker with. (he used to give me more start than he should have).

It didn't turn out to be the smartest move I've ever made...

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #27088 on: October 06, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »

More on the snooker soon. It's just that I haven't really thought about that day properly for ages, if ever, and now that I have it's brought back so many memories. Snooker ended up being a major part of my life for the next 20 or so years.

Include everything. Leave nothing out.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27089 on: October 06, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »

Include everything. Leave nothing out.

Lol.

What I mean is every memory leads to another memory.

For instance, I'm reminded of where we were stopping at the time, a puppy I had called Kim, the picture house that doubled as an indoor market, a pony someone bought that ran away, dragging him behind on a chain, a friend of our who died in tragic circumstances...

I get so far through the story and I want to jump to a different one.

Pages: 1 ... 1802 1803 1804 1805 [1806] 1807 1808 1809 1810 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: