blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1875 1876 1877 1878 [1879] 1880 1881 1882 1883 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587764 times)
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #28170 on: May 27, 2016, 10:34:54 AM »

Whilst we are on the subject of Dogs and field sports have you ever done much shooting sir

Yep.

I was very keen on gun dogs at one stage. Prior to that I'd always hunted with an air rifle and a sight hound, (great for spotting game and chasing down runners) but then I sold a part trained Labrador puppy to a bloke from Lincoln and he introduced me to shooting proper.

My dad and I ended up being part of this bloke's syndicate and we had shooting rights over a vast tract of land. There were six other members but they were so rich they just went of driven shoots and couldn't be arsed to walk the land like we did, so for the princely sum of £60 each pa we had it virtually all to ourselves. It was beautiful too, but it had a lake and a wood and everything.

Then I met a bloke called Brian Toppliss who was a skeet shooter at the Olympics. He got me into clay pigeon shooting and as it turned out I was reasonably good, but it was far too expensive for me to peruse properly.

Eventually, changes to the gun laws made it virtually impossible to keep a gun legally in a caravan so I surrendered my licence.

I did hang on to an old 4:10 that Mrs Red had bought second hand from a rat catcher for my birthday, but a couple of years ago I got worried about it and handed it in at the police station during a gun amnesty.

Where was the land in Lincolnshire Tom?

I am clay shooting with some of my pals this afternoon
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28171 on: May 27, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »

Whilst we are on the subject of Dogs and field sports have you ever done much shooting sir

Yep.

I was very keen on gun dogs at one stage. Prior to that I'd always hunted with an air rifle and a sight hound, (great for spotting game and chasing down runners) but then I sold a part trained Labrador puppy to a bloke from Lincoln and he introduced me to shooting proper.

My dad and I ended up being part of this bloke's syndicate and we had shooting rights over a vast tract of land. There were six other members but they were so rich they just went of driven shoots and couldn't be arsed to walk the land like we did, so for the princely sum of £60 each pa we had it virtually all to ourselves. It was beautiful too, but it had a lake and a wood and everything.

Then I met a bloke called Brian Toppliss who was a skeet shooter at the Olympics. He got me into clay pigeon shooting and as it turned out I was reasonably good, but it was far too expensive for me to peruse properly.

Eventually, changes to the gun laws made it virtually impossible to keep a gun legally in a caravan so I surrendered my licence.

I did hang on to an old 4:10 that Mrs Red had bought second hand from a rat catcher for my birthday, but a couple of years ago I got worried about it and handed it in at the police station during a gun amnesty.

In 2017 they bring in a similar licence up here for airguns (or air weapons as plod/the govt call them). Need a secure storage (ie gunsafe) bolted to  a structural wall. Licence restrictions the same as for a shotgun, so lots of airgunners going for shotgun licences too.

Just get a crossbow Rod. You can kill someone through a barn door from 50yds away, no licence needed.

The older I get, the better I was.
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #28172 on: May 27, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »

Yep.

In 2017 they bring in a similar licence up here for airguns (or air weapons as plod/the govt call them). Need a secure storage (ie gunsafe) bolted to  a structural wall. Licence restrictions the same as for a shotgun, so lots of airgunners going for shotgun licences too.

Sir effectively they may be making the matter worse by encouraging air gunners to buy shotguns after they have license granted
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28173 on: May 27, 2016, 10:42:31 AM »

Yep.

It was near Saxilby Trev. It had a bit of everything on it too. Wildfowl, rabbits, the odd hare, woodies...

I bet it's still there.

typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #28174 on: May 27, 2016, 10:45:21 AM »

Yep.

It was near Saxilby Trev. It had a bit of everything on it too. Wildfowl, rabbits, the odd hare, woodies...

I bet it's still there.

You could add a few noughts to the sixty quid today
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #28175 on: May 27, 2016, 10:51:58 AM »

A friend of mine that i play golf with has a cockerpoo puppy similar in looks to Poppy, except his is a dog and it's nine months old.

He's having trouble getting it to eat although it gets plenty of exercise. He says he'll take it for it's morning walk and then put a dish of food down for it around 11am and the pooch won't touch it. After a bit he'll take the food away anmd offer it to him at tea-time presumably after another walk and he may or may not eat some of it.

He says the dog is fit and healthy and his missus (who worries about it) tries to tempt it with cheese and suchlike but it just a very picky eater. What would you suggest?

If it's fit and healthy Ralph he has no need to worry.

I would offer it food once a day in progressively smaller amounts until it clears it's dish immediately. Then I would stick with that amount and only offer more if it is obviously looking for it.

Thanks Tom, I've passed that advice on.

For once I don't 100% agree with Tom on doggy advice.

Although this is a perfectly good tactic to get a dog to eat its food you're relying on the dog's hunger as the determining factor as to whether it eats or not. Perhaps the dog just doesn't like it? Some dog food brands look and smell like sawdust, would you want that on your plate?

What's wrong with our dogs actually enjoying their food? Do you want your dog to eat its food because it likes it or purely because it knows that if it doesn't eat what it's given it's going to die?

Admittedly some dogs will eat pretty much anything whether they're hungry or not but they aren't all the same. When I did dog training the first thing we had to do was find out what motivated the dog. Some were food motivated so you could just use a pocket of treats, others had such high prey drive that they'd literally jump through hoops if they thought you'd throw a toy for them afterwards. The point is all dogs are different and not all are motivated by food.

First thing I'd try is different brands of food to see if it just doesn't like the taste. Most pet food suppliers have sample packs to try. I've found a brand of food now that Ronnie absolutely loves to the point he considers it such a high reward I can actually use his individual food pellets as training treats. Get a few sample packs and see if the dog actually likes it.

Another thing that can work is making food time fun time. If they can find a food that the dog likes the taste and more importantly the smell of they could try scatter feeding. That's where instead of sticking the food in a bowl you throw it all over the garden and the dog has to sniff it out. The dog gets to do what's natural and it's also really good exercise. Ronnie spends half an hour every morning finding his food and by the time he's done he's ready for another kip.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28176 on: May 27, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »

A friend of mine that i play golf with has a cockerpoo puppy similar in looks to Poppy, except his is a dog and it's nine months old.

He's having trouble getting it to eat although it gets plenty of exercise. He says he'll take it for it's morning walk and then put a dish of food down for it around 11am and the pooch won't touch it. After a bit he'll take the food away anmd offer it to him at tea-time presumably after another walk and he may or may not eat some of it.

He says the dog is fit and healthy and his missus (who worries about it) tries to tempt it with cheese and suchlike but it just a very picky eater. What would you suggest?

I would offer it food once a day in progressively smaller amounts until it clears it's dish immediately. Then I would stick with that amount and only offer more if it is obviously looking for it.

Although this is a perfectly good tactic to get a dog to eat its food you're relying on the dog's hunger as the determining factor as to whether it eats or not. Perhaps the dog just doesn't like it? Some dog food brands look and smell like sawdust, would you want that on your plate?

What's wrong with our dogs actually enjoying their food? Do you want your dog to eat its food because it likes it or purely because it knows that if it doesn't eat what it's given it's going to die?

Admittedly some dogs will eat pretty much anything whether they're hungry or not but they aren't all the same. When I did dog training the first thing we had to do was find out what motivated the dog. Some were food motivated so you could just use a pocket of treats, others had such high prey drive that they'd literally jump through hoops if they thought you'd throw a toy for them afterwards. The point is all dogs are different and not all are motivated by food.

First thing I'd try is different brands of food to see if it just doesn't like the taste. Most pet food suppliers have sample packs to try. I've found a brand of food now that Ronnie absolutely loves to the point he considers it such a high reward I can actually use his individual food pellets as training treats. Get a few sample packs and see if the dog actually likes it.

Another thing that can work is making food time fun time. If they can find a food that the dog likes the taste and more importantly the smell of they could try scatter feeding. That's where instead of sticking the food in a bowl you throw it all over the garden and the dog has to sniff it out. The dog gets to do what's natural and it's also really good exercise. Ronnie spends half an hour every morning finding his food and by the time he's done he's ready for another kip.

On the contrary Matt, I agree with you entirely, it's just that Ralph said the blokes Mrs "tries to tempt it with cheese and suchlike" so I thought it was refusing virtually everything.

Happy to stand corrected.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28177 on: May 27, 2016, 11:11:11 AM »

I saw an item the other day about a bloke who was arrested for flashing his headlights to warn other drivers about the presence of a police speed camera van. He was taken to court, found guilty of of obstructing a police officer, and fined £175 plus costs.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole idea of speed cameras were to encourage people to drive more slowly in hazardous areas, not to trap them by stealth. That's ostensibly why they are well signed and painted bright yellow.

If that is the case, wasn't this bloke assisting the police officer rather than obstructing him?

Otherwise it seems to suggest that it would be OK for a policeman to wait until a crook had robbed a bank so that he could arrest him rather than make his presence known and deter the robbery in the first place.

It is a nonsense.

I was warned by a friend who is a traffic cop that posting 'Police speed trap at Brock's Straight' on Facebook could get me charged the same way.

So did you post that or was that just an example?

If it's illegal how come your sat nav can warn you?

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #28178 on: May 27, 2016, 11:18:40 AM »

On the contrary Matt, I agree with you entirely, it's just that Ralph said the blokes Mrs "tries to tempt it with cheese and suchlike" so I thought it was refusing virtually everything.

Happy to stand corrected.

I've just sent my mate a link to this thread so maybe he'll come and join in.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #28179 on: May 27, 2016, 02:00:22 PM »

Hi Tom, how ya doing ?
Havent been on here for a while just been catching up

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28180 on: May 27, 2016, 03:35:35 PM »

Hi Tom, how ya doing ?
Havent been on here for a while just been catching up

Hi Mr C.

I'm doing great TYVM. Everyone's well and I keep waking up in the morning. Can't ask for more than that can I?

How yourself, what are you passionate about these days?

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #28181 on: May 27, 2016, 05:30:50 PM »

Good to hear you are ok and still waking up  Smiley
Still like to play poker once a week or more.
And have been going to the Point to Points again this year a lot.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #28182 on: May 27, 2016, 09:17:25 PM »

Yep.

Sir effectively they may be making the matter worse by encouraging air gunners to buy shotguns after they have license granted

They don't think that but yes there will be a (smaller) increase in shotguns at the same time as a reduction in the amount of airguns, with people that obey the laws. And an increase in people made criminals.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #28183 on: May 27, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »

I saw an item the other day about a bloke who was arrested for flashing his headlights to warn other drivers about the presence of a police speed camera van. He was taken to court, found guilty of of obstructing a police officer, and fined £175 plus costs.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole idea of speed cameras were to encourage people to drive more slowly in hazardous areas, not to trap them by stealth. That's ostensibly why they are well signed and painted bright yellow.

If that is the case, wasn't this bloke assisting the police officer rather than obstructing him?

Otherwise it seems to suggest that it would be OK for a policeman to wait until a crook had robbed a bank so that he could arrest him rather than make his presence known and deter the robbery in the first place.

It is a nonsense.

I was warned by a friend who is a traffic cop that posting 'Police speed trap at Brock's Straight' on Facebook could get me charged the same way.

So did you post that or was that just an example?

If it's illegal how come your sat nav can warn you?
I posted it and was warned (as a mate) by the copper.

I have'nt a clue why that or flashing lights is a crime, for the same reasons as you've said.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28184 on: May 28, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »

Help please.

On the face of it, this is a simple question but we have a difference of opinion at Chez Red. (Me V everyone else)

Should the toilet roll hang with the loose end on the inside, near the wall, or on the outside away from the wall?

Answers accompanied by logical reasons appreciated.

Note, to give you an idea of the scope of this argument, "loose end outside makes it easier for a Labrador puppy to grab" has been muted as a logical reason.

Pages: 1 ... 1875 1876 1877 1878 [1879] 1880 1881 1882 1883 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: