blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:19:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2156 2157 2158 2159 [2160] 2161 2162 2163 2164 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587190 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32385 on: January 23, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »

At the risk of lowering the tone, I took short today while walking the dogs and had to engage ninja alfresco crapping mode.

During my post purge musings I realised that everyone understands the meaning of the phrase, "Took short" but no one knows it's origin.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32386 on: January 23, 2020, 10:15:48 AM »

Nice one Tom, V4 gas guzzler but without the speed  Smiley
Tikay, hope the battery charging works, but modern batteries aren't like the old type. Quite often once flat that's the end of em.
Also if your car has that stupid stop/start nonsense expect to pay about £250 for a battery.

Marv.

Yes, my car has the "stop start" thing, it turns itself off at traffic lights etc then turns back on when I touch the accelerator.

£250 for a battery? FML.

Well I'll know soon enough. The charger has arrived and I've got it all connected up & there are charging lights flashing & all sorts of LED indicators flashing on & off.  

Fingers crossed.

Sit rep on batt?

Well it took a good charge, & whilst it was charging, I kept popping out to the car to check it was going OK. And I noticed an odd thing - I could hear a fan or pump whirring quietly in the background. As you know, this often happens on cars these days after the engine has been turned off, cooling fans, fuel pumps or whatever often continue to run for a while. But I had not used the car for several days, so that was odd. Then I noticed a dashboard alert, "Battery Discharging whilst engine off" or words to that effect.

Anyway, once it had been charging for an hour, I disco'd the charger, fired her up & she started instantly. Then I went for a half-hour drive to give it a bit more. 

When I got back & turned her off, I checked under the bonnet & the fan/pump background noise had stopped, & it's been fine since.

I fired her up the next morning to see if the charge had held, & it was fine, ditto this morning.

I don't use the car a great deal which can't help I suppose. I used to nip up to Tesco every morning in the car, but since my health drive (diet, exercise) began on January 1st I've been walking to the shops every day.

There, never use 1 word when 200 will do.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32387 on: January 23, 2020, 10:24:43 AM »

Nice one Tom, V4 gas guzzler but without the speed  Smiley
Tikay, hope the battery charging works, but modern batteries aren't like the old type. Quite often once flat that's the end of em.
Also if your car has that stupid stop/start nonsense expect to pay about £250 for a battery.

Marv.

Yes, my car has the "stop start" thing, it turns itself off at traffic lights etc then turns back on when I touch the accelerator.

£250 for a battery? FML.

Well I'll know soon enough. The charger has arrived and I've got it all connected up & there are charging lights flashing & all sorts of LED indicators flashing on & off.  

Fingers crossed.

Sit rep on batt?

Well it took a good charge, & whilst it was charging, I kept popping out to the car to check it was going OK. And I noticed an odd thing - I could hear a fan or pump whirring quietly in the background. As you know, this often happens on cars these days after the engine has been turned off, cooling fans, fuel pumps or whatever often continue to run for a while. But I had not used the car for several days, so that was odd. Then I noticed a dashboard alert, "Battery Discharging whilst engine off" or words to that effect.

Anyway, once it had been charging for an hour, I disco'd the charger, fired her up & she started instantly. Then I went for a half-hour drive to give it a bit more. 

When I got back & turned her off, I checked under the bonnet & the fan/pump background noise had stopped, & it's been fine since.

I fired her up the next morning to see if the charge had held, & it was fine, ditto this morning.

I don't use the car a great deal which can't help I suppose. I used to nip up to Tesco every morning in the car, but since my health drive (diet, exercise) began on January 1st I've been walking to the shops every day.

There, never use 1 word when 200 will do.

Words are like legs, use em or lose em.

I know my enquiry was a bit on the brief side, but that's just an old habit from my commando days.

Back in the day we didn't get a message saying "Battery discharging whilst engine off". We had to remove a battery lead and then brush it against the terminal. If there was a spark it meant there was a drain on the battery.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32388 on: January 23, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »

You don't see headlines like this very often.

Woman, 89, knits giant Great Yarmouth seafront tribute

https://images.app.goo.gl/p2z7o1x64a4paY2ZA

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #32389 on: January 23, 2020, 12:36:18 PM »

Yes Andrew. I've been looking at these. I bet you can use them to override all sorts of "Limp Mode" situations too.

There is nothing worse than being forced to drive home at 30mph because your engine management system thinks your particulate filter is blocked, or its getting duff information from your crank sensor.

Bring back grease nipples and oily rags I say.

It can be useful for activating things that may be an optional extra when buying a car such as SatNav and wing mirrors that dip when reversing. Even unlocking different driving modes like economy or performance. All good stuff but as you say it's a shame that with all new cars you cant tinker under the bonnet anymore, but you can with the ECU.

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32390 on: January 24, 2020, 10:10:37 AM »

I shared this photograph of my lunch an was immediately informed that I had failed to remove the Devil's anus from my banana.

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32391 on: January 24, 2020, 10:16:01 AM »

Ha, "Devil's anus", never heard it called that before.

I adore bananas & eat 2 every day (2 apples a day too) but I always remove that horrible bit at the end.

I much prefer 'nanas to be slightly under-ripe too. Taste good, & have the strangely satisfying by-product of producing copious amounts of immensely satisfying greenhouse gas emissions.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32392 on: January 24, 2020, 10:18:26 AM »

What a wonderful tribute to nature bananas are, they come perfectly pre-packaged in much the same way, I suppose, as eggs do.

Both are so easy to open too, unlike, say, milk cartons made by humans.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32393 on: January 24, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »

I adore bananas & eat 2 every day (2 apples a day too) but I always remove that horrible bit at the end.

I much prefer 'nanas to be slightly under-ripe too. Taste good, & have the strangely satisfying by-product of producing copious amounts of immensely satisfying greenhouse gas emissions.

Mrs Red likes her bananas slightly under-ripe too, I like them slightly over-ripe.

Between us we're the banana equivalent of Mr and Mrs Sprat.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32394 on: January 24, 2020, 10:25:22 AM »

Mrs Red likes her bananas slightly under-ripe too, I like them slightly over-ripe.

Amazingly cheap too, I get 2 every day for about 30p total.

When you consider they have to be shipped in a refrigerated boat all the way from somewhere frightfully distant, unloaded at the docks, transported to a Supermarket Distribution Warehouse, unloaded, sorted, re-packed, re-loaded & delivered to our local supermarket, it's stunning value. Doubt the grower gets much more than a penny or two per banana. 

Fresh pineapples are terrific value too - you can buy a big bugger for about £1. Again, grown in distant lands & shipped here. The grower probably gets about 5p.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:29:20 AM by tikay » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32395 on: January 24, 2020, 10:37:37 AM »

Amazingly cheap too, I get 2 every day for about 30p total.

When you consider they have to be shipped in a refrigerated boat all the way from somewhere frightfully distant, unloaded at the docks, transported to a Supermarket Distribution Warehouse, unloaded, sorted, re-packed, re-loaded & delivered to our local supermarket, it's stunning value. Doubt the grower gets much more than a penny or two per banana. 

Fresh pineapples are terrific value too - you can buy a big bugger for about £1. Again, grown in distant lands & shipped here. The grower probably gets about 5p.

We take so much for granted don't we? Tea is a prime example. I never give the availability and relatively low cost of tea a second thought, but if they stopped importing it I would probably have to close this diary.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32396 on: January 24, 2020, 10:43:40 AM »

That China coronavirus. Wowee!

Imagine closing all public transport in London. There would be absolute chaos.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32397 on: January 24, 2020, 10:47:48 AM »

I wish this mole would get Chinese coronavirus.

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32398 on: January 24, 2020, 10:55:37 AM »

That's a horrible thing to say Tom. Stop it.

Think I'll boycott this Diary in protest.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:57:41 AM by tikay » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32399 on: January 24, 2020, 10:58:09 AM »

That's a horrible thing to say Tom. Stop it.

OK, well I hope he gets woodworm in his shovel.

Pages: 1 ... 2156 2157 2158 2159 [2160] 2161 2162 2163 2164 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: