blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:12:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 2169 2170 [2171] 2172 2173 2174 2175 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3586838 times)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #32550 on: May 09, 2020, 09:23:25 AM »

Quite a productive morning, Bramley decided 4:39am was a good time to get me up so along with my youngest son, we were up and out for about 5:10

Bramley himself continues to fill out and is becoming quite the handsome chap:

Click to see full-size image.

I was trying to capture a pic of a blue tit but it flew off before I could focus, as I was cursing, my son said he was sure he had flown into a hole in the tree, so I waited a wee bit

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #32551 on: May 09, 2020, 09:25:24 AM »

I decided to video the Blue Tit

https://youtu.be/GVlp7uBJRfM

(still can't get these to embed, advice please anyone?)

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #32552 on: May 09, 2020, 09:31:53 AM »

We met our early morning song thrush and managed to capture a better pic

shortly after we found this wee beauty, still can't get a good match on google images.

I also got some video:

https://youtu.be/FR7LT__ScH4

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32553 on: May 09, 2020, 09:34:18 AM »

Help please, I took this pic this morning and I have no idea what this wee beauty is. Google image suggests a goldfinch but I can't find an image of a goldfinch that looks like this. The yellow breast with the distinct black line down the front I can't seem to match. Closest I've found with similar facial markings seems to be a black capped chickadee but doesn't match the body colouring:

Geo

Isn't it just a great tit?  I am not sure why it wouldn't be anyway.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #32554 on: May 09, 2020, 09:35:45 AM »

As we finished our walk, this fella was sitting singing his heart out atop a tree beside the main road:

I took a video of him also

https://youtu.be/ZPR7Zst2ITI

Geo

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #32555 on: May 09, 2020, 09:37:37 AM »

Help please, I took this pic this morning and I have no idea what this wee beauty is. Google image suggests a goldfinch but I can't find an image of a goldfinch that looks like this. The yellow breast with the distinct black line down the front I can't seem to match. Closest I've found with similar facial markings seems to be a black capped chickadee but doesn't match the body colouring:

Geo

Yes spot on Doobs, first I've seen one. Google image not that great then lol

Geo

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32556 on: May 09, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »

Geo

Geo

We get loads on our feeders in the garden, but guess the habitat near you is different.

I have still not heard a cuckoo this year and have had my ears peeled for them.  I am hearing a lot more birds since I got that app.  There is part of my run through the treese where there is a proper cacophony of birdnoise if I stop.  I didn't even realise it was there until a couple of weeks ago.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #32557 on: May 09, 2020, 01:28:05 PM »

Geo

Geo

A good clue to identification is beak shape.

With the smaller birds:

Short narrow beak  - tits - picks for insects, smaller seeds/fruits
Short broad beak - finches/sparrows - crushes larger seeds and fruits
Medium narrow beak - warblers, pipits, wagtails - picks and probes for insects

That's not absolute rules, but good indicators when trying to identify species.

I'd also recommend an illustrated spotters book (illustrations can identify more of the identifiers than pictures I find) I still use the RSPB Handbook of British Birds my Dad bought me in 1980 when we moved to Scotland, the latest edition was printed in 2018. The distribution info in my one is out of date, but I use it to find likely suspects & then start checking online.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #32558 on: May 09, 2020, 08:23:05 PM »

I decided to video the Blue Tit

https://youtu.be/GVlp7uBJRfM

(still can't get these to embed, advice please anyone?)

The youtube share links don't work with SMF Forums, which blonde is a user of.

Just change the youtu.be to www.youtube.com/watch?v= at the top, ie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVlp7uBJRfM. Then put it in between [ youtube]xxx[/youtube] and it should embed into the page. You also need to make it http:// NOT https:// as the security setting doesn't let it work.

test -
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:26:34 PM by KarmaDope » Logged
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32559 on: May 09, 2020, 09:15:46 PM »

That's a cracking little video Geo.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32560 on: May 13, 2020, 02:52:12 PM »

I love these pics

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-52632396

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32561 on: May 19, 2020, 11:34:28 AM »

I'm repairing the soak-away for my septic tank and I needed some gravel and distribution pipe etc so for the first time in weeks I had to go into public placed and talk to people.

I'm in a high risk category so I took all precautions. Social distancing x2, gloves, hand sanitiser... All no problem, except for the mask.

How do people manage without being able to smile at folk? I felt like the most miserable bastard in the world and people, (Strangers) behaved differently than they normally would too. No rapport or pleasant conservation, I felt like I couldn't get them on my side.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #32562 on: May 19, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »

I'm repairing the soak-away for my septic tank and I needed some gravel and distribution pipe etc so for the first time in weeks I had to go into public placed and talk to people.

I'm in a high risk category so I took all precautions. Social distancing x2, gloves, hand sanitiser... All no problem, except for the mask.

How do people manage without being able to smile at folk? I felt like the most miserable bastard in the world and people, (Strangers) behaved differently than they normally would too. No rapport or pleasant conservation, I felt like I couldn't get them on my side.

My mate used to drive a Marina without any footbrake and the only way we could get from London to Swindon was for me to use the handbrake on his signal when we needed to slow down. I'd probably just pull the mask down for a second and smile at someone.

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32563 on: May 19, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »

My mate used to drive a Marina without any footbrake and the only way we could get from London to Swindon was for me to use the handbrake on his signal when we needed to slow down. I'd probably just pull the mask down for a second and smile at someone.

Why couldn't he use the handbrake himself, and why couldn't you see for yourself when you needed to slow down?

Are you intentionally whooshing me?

If so could give you a signal without taking my gloves off.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32564 on: May 19, 2020, 03:08:53 PM »

Poppy is currently on her second day of sitting in the full glare of the sun waiting for some or other tiny creature to make its move.

Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 2169 2170 [2171] 2172 2173 2174 2175 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: