blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2197 2198 2199 2200 [2201] 2202 2203 2204 2205 ... 2340 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3587015 times)
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #33000 on: February 05, 2021, 11:15:25 AM »

Morning Red

I was flicking through the channels last night and ended up watching Gypsy Eviction - The story of Dale Farm.
It was pretty eye opening to say the least, the lengths they went to and the money spent when you realise that it was really just an extension of a legal site that is still there now.
I was too young to remember when it actually happened, so although it rang a bell the story was relatively new to me.

Made me wonder if you still do your role representing the Gypsy community that you used to talk about?

Hi Stu.

Well I still do, but not so much now to be honest.

I used to attend a lot of cross parliamentary group and minesterial meetings and consultations, it sounds grand but mostly it was just a rubber stamp exercise so that they could say the community was consulted.

I was also the UK representative of the Roma, Gypsy and Traveller Council of Europe but Brexit put paid to that.

I was also a fairly active member on the National Federation of Gypsy Liaison groups but that has now been disabled due to lack of funding. People were giving their time for free and paying their own expenses in the end but that can't go on forever.

Dale Farm was/is an Irish Traveller settlement so I had no real involvement in that other than where blanket policy was created.

At the end of the day there is a need for site provision and no will from local authorities or the population at large to provide.

That's a shame Red

I knew watching last night, that just knowing you and reading some of the things you have talked about on this diary meant I had a very different perspective on the whole thing.

After the program I went on Google Maps and saw what was there now, and your last point was exactly what I was left thinking.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #33001 on: February 05, 2021, 01:32:22 PM »

Will try and watch that Tom.  I watch lots of sailing stuff on YouTube whilst stuck in my house.

This is a very good documentary and I think it is only on iplayer for free on iplayer for 3 or 4 more days.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lpv7/the-australian-dream

I think it will resonate with you.  

Meanwhile, I missed winterwatch, so am currently catching up.

I'm in a spell of watching Van Life videos - some really clever van conversions being made.

You get a sailing link now and again & I found this one on a new electric yacht interesting once you get past the introductory silliness:

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33002 on: February 05, 2021, 01:59:28 PM »

This is a fabulous series Rod. I watched some of it out of order initially, it's still great, but better if you start at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/c/kombilife/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33003 on: February 05, 2021, 02:06:41 PM »

Will try and watch that Tom.  I watch lots of sailing stuff on YouTube whilst stuck in my house.

This is a very good documentary and I think it is only on iplayer for free on iplayer for 3 or 4 more days.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lpv7/the-australian-dream

I think it will resonate with you.  

Meanwhile, I missed winterwatch, so am currently catching up.

I'm in a spell of watching Van Life videos - some really clever van conversions being made.

You get a sailing link now and again & I found this one on a new electric yacht interesting once you get past the introductory silliness:

I have watched pretty much all those Uma videos.  They have done wonders with a cheap tiny boat over the years.  There is a video where they go through all the changes they made.  They have been posting a lot from Norway recently.  MJSailing also did a lot more round Norway recently too and they have done a lot of DIY on boats and have just started building a boat.  I have only watched them since Norway.  They both spent a lot of time stuck in the UK because of Covid, so you got to see a lot of the UK you don't normally see and from an outsiders viewpoint.

The other Norweigan one of interest is No Bullshit Just Sailing who seems to always be out in the worst weather on his own.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33004 on: February 05, 2021, 02:08:39 PM »

This is a fabulous series Rod. I watched some of it out of order initially, it's still great, but better if you start at the beginning.

This is like a walk through my subscriptions.  Kombi life is getting a bit sad towards the end.  Covid hasn't been kind to them. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #33005 on: February 05, 2021, 05:41:23 PM »

This is like a walk through my subscriptions.  Kombi life is getting a bit sad towards the end.  Covid hasn't been kind to them. 

Cheers for recommendations!!

Kombi's not one I've seen (been more interested in the actual conversions and imagining being in a position to do similar), looks good, so that's my bedtime viewing sorted for a while Cheesy.

My Vanlife Subscriptions are

Van Tours:

Van Life:

I also started watching SV Delos because they were in a part of the Bahamas I knew: https://www.youtube.com/c/svdelos.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33006 on: February 05, 2021, 06:53:36 PM »

Cheers for recommendations!!

Kombi's not one I've seen (been more interested in the actual conversions and imagining being in a position to do similar), looks good, so that's my bedtime viewing sorted for a while Cheesy.

My Vanlife Subscriptions are

Van Tours:

Van Life:

I also started watching SV Delos because they were in a part of the Bahamas I knew: https://www.youtube.com/c/svdelos.

Eamon and Bec met up and appeared with Kombi Life briefly in Morocco.  I did watch a few of theirs around that time, but hadn't followed what happened to them after.

Delos was brilliant when they went to obscure places; but it was a different channel then with a big group of young people, rather than a family.  There are some from St Helena and Ascension that were really interesting.  They have gone to a fair few non standard places like Namibia, Madagascar and Brazil.  I really want to go to the Azores now, which are close enough but different enough.  It might be harder to get around without a boat though.  A few sailing channels have gone there.

I love some of the tiny homes too. 

Not enough hours in the day to keep up with them all, but watch more YouTube than normal.TV these days.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33007 on: February 05, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »

I watch loads of YouTube too.

Check this crackpot out, he's totally addictive.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdyNenIpg--4xUm_FsPCrGV-ldk01DkB1

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #33008 on: February 05, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »

I've just been watching a news item about a car crash victim who had a hands and face transplant. Part of the story warned that he would need anti-rejection drugs for the rest of his life.

Now I know that the human body constantly renews it's cells, so why wouldn't the spare parts eventually become his?

The body renews by cells dividing.

So a transplanted hand cell will divide and still have the same signature as before and hence still need anti rejection drugs.

The cells that are right by the "joins" will blend into each other but cells divide at different rates, some cells might take 10 years before they divide for example, so there's a limit to how much this blending can happen.

Science Wife did not approve so she has answered it herself below

All cells contain a unique pattern of proteins on their surface. This acts as a 'signature' that your body uses to recognise your own cells from foreign cells (e.g. bacteria). If you body identifies a 'non-self' cell it will activate your immune system and kill the cell - this is the same idea with transplants.

The body itself repairs and grows by cells dividing (they don't really 'renew' - when cells get too old they self-destruct in a process called apoptosis). When the transplanted cells divide the two new daughter cells will contain the same protein signature as the oriignal parent cell. This means the body will always recognise them as non-self.

There will however be some blending between the patients own cells and the transplanted cell as they divide near each other.

Beside that there are many different types of cell. Some cells divide very rapidly (like the upper layer of skin), but others (like nerve cells) don't divide at all. This means there will always be some non-self cells in the tranplanted organ, hence the need for immunosuppresent drugs for the rest of their life.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33009 on: February 05, 2021, 08:27:20 PM »

I've just been watching a news item about a car crash victim who had a hands and face transplant. Part of the story warned that he would need anti-rejection drugs for the rest of his life.

Now I know that the human body constantly renews it's cells, so why wouldn't the spare parts eventually become his?

The body renews by cells dividing.

So a transplanted hand cell will divide and still have the same signature as before and hence still need anti rejection drugs.

The cells that are right by the "joins" will blend into each other but cells divide at different rates, some cells might take 10 years before they divide for example, so there's a limit to how much this blending can happen.

Science Wife did not approve so she has answered it herself below

All cells contain a unique pattern of proteins on their surface. This acts as a 'signature' that your body uses to recognise your own cells from foreign cells (e.g. bacteria). If you body identifies a 'non-self' cell it will activate your immune system and kill the cell - this is the same idea with transplants.

The body itself repairs and grows by cells dividing (they don't really 'renew' - when cells get too old they self-destruct in a process called apoptosis). When the transplanted cells divide the two new daughter cells will contain the same protein signature as the oriignal parent cell. This means the body will always recognise them as non-self.

There will however be some blending between the patients own cells and the transplanted cell as they divide near each other.

Beside that there are many different types of cell. Some cells divide very rapidly (like the upper layer of skin), but others (like nerve cells) don't divide at all. This means there will always be some non-self cells in the tranplanted organ, hence the need for immunosuppresent drugs for the rest of their life.

That's an excellent explanation. Thanks Science Wife!

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33010 on: February 07, 2021, 09:51:01 PM »

I heard that you can heat the contents of a can by placing it into a pan of water and boiling it. Apparently it won't explode.

If true what a great bit of Info. No more dirty pans to wash and you could heat two or three different things in the same pan without mixing them.

I have to try it. (I'm scared though)

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #33011 on: February 07, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »

I think getting sprayed by molten food when you opened the can might be a possibility.  Back in the day there were puddings that you cooked in the can (there might still be) but you had to pierce the can before heating to stop pressure build up.
hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #33012 on: February 08, 2021, 09:35:40 AM »

Hi Tom.

When I make bannoffee pie this entails boiling an unopened can of fusells condensed milk for an hour and a half, and I have never had a can split or explode. It can be a bit hairy when you open it though.

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #33013 on: February 08, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »

I heard that you can heat the contents of a can by placing it into a pan of water and boiling it. Apparently it won't explode.

If true what a great bit of Info. No more dirty pans to wash and you could heat two or three different things in the same pan without mixing them.

I have to try it. (I'm scared though)

Used to do this in my army days, pre boil in the bag. Just make sure to pierce the top of the tins before placing in the water

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33014 on: February 08, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »

We used to boil heinz sponge puddings in a can.  I am pretty sure we never pierced them until they finished.  My mum used to let us pierce the cans with the tin opener, so it couldn't have been too dangerous.  I think we used to put a tea towel, or similar, over where we were piercing to stop molten golden syrup going in our eyes.   

Maybe she was hopeful an exploding can would take one of us out, as 4 boys were always a handful for her?

This was all before we had microwaves.

Pages: 1 ... 2197 2198 2199 2200 [2201] 2202 2203 2204 2205 ... 2340 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: