blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:28:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272588 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 2198 2199 2200 2201 [2202] 2203 2204 2205 2206 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3605687 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33015 on: February 08, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »

I would imagine that the can would not explode in boiling water because it's just not hot enough.

I'm sure that the food is boiled in the sealed can to sterilise it during the canning process anyway.

Dave's point about scalding liquid spurting out is a good one but if we were just heating the contents of the can to a reasonable temperature I think it it would be fine.

The older I get, the better I was.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33016 on: February 08, 2021, 11:47:20 AM »

yeah army ration packs contained alot of rubbish in cans you used to cook while in car (piercing first) but the canned bacon was the best thing ever made

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33017 on: February 08, 2021, 11:58:59 AM »

Pretty sure the can used to expand when you cooked it, as I think the can use to hiss and contract when you pierced it.   Presumably there was some air in there that expanded more than the contents?

Apparently Heinz has stopped making those canned puddings.  This discussion made me crave one. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33018 on: February 08, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »

Fray Bentos used to do a boil in the can steak and kidney pudding. I remember my granny used to occasionally do one for her dinner and she would always give me a taste on the end of a knife. (She ate off a flat bladed, flexible knife, a habit I picked up)

Obviously I took no real notice back then, but I can't remember her piercing it before boiling.

I tried to google it but it's difficult because it's been superseded by a modern version.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33019 on: February 08, 2021, 12:42:50 PM »

This is a long video but the main bits are at 6:20 15:30 and 17:30.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33020 on: February 08, 2021, 01:17:53 PM »

heinz puddings and fray bentos pies get a mention here

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2355282/heinz-tinned-sponge-puddings

Don't put them in the pressure cooker.  But nobody would do that, would they?

Round about 1972 or so my mum got us one of those tinned sponges for us, and cooked it in the pressure cooker.

We were waiting for it to cook when there was an almighty bang from the kitchen. When my dad went to investigate he found treacle dripping from the ceiling, the tin unwrapped and lying on the floor together with the pressure cooker lid, and the pressure cooker itself has assumed an... interesting shape.

Good job nobody was in the kitchen at the time.

Maybe my ma could have left us in the kitchen with one of them?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #33021 on: February 08, 2021, 01:29:37 PM »

Was reading that thread and someone piped up with the usual "you can just make your own...".  I was thinking just feck right off with that.  Looked it up and it doesn't sound too hard, and given you can't buy the real thing anymore.  Maybe I'll give it a go when cooking something easy.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/165/microwave-sponge-pudding.asp

Will report back if I can be arsed. 

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33022 on: February 08, 2021, 01:30:00 PM »

Seems like you had a much rougher upbringing (in a good way) than I gave you credit for Doobs.

I didn't know you had several brothers or that you could remember pre-microwave.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #33023 on: February 08, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »

I remember the steak and kidney puddings (or were they pies?), in a wide flat errr pie shaped tin.  I used to keep a couple as being skint food back up, so they lasted about a week.  I'm not sure if you did pierce those before cooking, as I vaguely remember the lid swelling up. 

Anyone remember those dried meals like chicken supreme, that you added water to and boiled up?  We always used them in youth hostels when on hols.  It was like the 70s thought fresh food of any kind was a health risk.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33024 on: February 08, 2021, 02:31:39 PM »

I remember the steak and kidney puddings (or were they pies?), in a wide flat errr pie shaped tin.  I used to keep a couple as being skint food back up, so they lasted about a week.  I'm not sure if you did pierce those before cooking, as I vaguely remember the lid swelling up. 

Anyone remember those dried meals like chicken supreme, that you added water to and boiled up?  We always used them in youth hostels when on hols.  It was like the 70s thought fresh food of any kind was a health risk.

Those are pies in the flat tin, you can still get them now. You remove the lid completely and cook in the oven.

God only knows what was in the chicken supreme. Total crap no doubt but I loved it.

You could get it in the chip shops too for a while.

Strangely enough Mr doubleup, I've never had a problem with seeing you as one of the 'dragged up' generation.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33025 on: February 08, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »

I bet Nirvana had leather elbow patches on his romper suit.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #33026 on: February 08, 2021, 03:05:44 PM »

I was actually "well brought up", father uni lecturer, mother teacher, allbeit semi-orphaned in my teens.  My need for "skint back up food" was largely self inflicted by consorting with bad company and acquiring associated bad habits.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33027 on: February 08, 2021, 03:14:19 PM »

I was actually "well brought up", father uni lecturer, mother teacher, allbeit semi-orphaned in my teens.  My need for "skint back up food" was largely self inflicted by consorting with bad company and acquiring associated bad habits.

I'm sure you were, I just have no problem seeing you as a urchin.  Smiley

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33028 on: February 08, 2021, 03:22:11 PM »

I wonder how many of us gambled as youngsters? I did but not 'Betting shop' gambling, more often three card brag, pitch and toss, pontoon, crash, snooker etc.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33029 on: February 08, 2021, 03:27:38 PM »

I once did a weeks work in partnership with a mate removing a chimney stack and repairing a roof.

When it came time to get paid we had to wait about an hour for the householder to return so we played horseshoes on the roadside while we waited.

By the time the bloke came I'd lost my share and was £40 in debt.

Pages: 1 ... 2198 2199 2200 2201 [2202] 2203 2204 2205 2206 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: