blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:59:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  "In the Well" with Riverdave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "In the Well" with Riverdave  (Read 62092 times)
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »

What are your 3 top tournament tips for NLH?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »

EPT, WPT or WSOP event..what would you rather play?

I've yet to play in a WPT so it would have to be one of those events. EPT's are great tournaments and the WSOP ME is an awesome experience but i wasn't hugely impressed by the 3 side events i played in '06.
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »

sunglasses or no sunglasses??

Most obnoxious opponent

Who do you most like to have at your table

Top man for doing this by the way

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »

How highly do you rate Rolf Slotboom's PLO book? Is the poker world lacking in a 6-max PLO book?

Also, does Chufty's recent sick run inspire your spinup attempts?

I'm not really much of a poker book reader and i haven't seen this one. I prefer to learn from experience playing and sometimes discussing hands with other good players. I've only read Greenstein's and Lee Nelson's books but i may well take a look at this one at some point.

King Richard is a good friend and of course his run and previous runs on Pokerstars Crypto and Betfair have inspired me to try to do something similar. I know he had to reload and build up many many times on Full Tilt before the current run took off but now he is reasonably comfortable in an extemely volatile game. Some discipline he has to stick to only pulling up $8000 a time with that much on the site and on days where he might be losing $100-$150k, i certainly admire that.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »

Dave,

you have mentioned the high's and low's, what advice would you give in terms of bankroll mangement to someone just starting off

I feel hugely underqualified to give anyone bankroll advice but this is now a much written about topic on the forums and in the magazines so i'd advise reading a few of those and be aware of the concepts. For an absolute beginner try to find a game/limit/tournament you can beat consistently and just play as much as you can and stick to it, don't try to run before you can walk by diversifying into other games. As you develop as a player you will eventually need to diversify or maybe just play bigger to continue improving.
I'm not quite as degen as Bluescouse but i am always taking shots at bigger games short stacked and under-rolled the key is to leave yourself enough of a bankroll to recover from in your normal game if the shot goes wrong. Another key point that i've fallen foul of a few times is to not have all your roll available and in one place because it's very easy to start chasing and keep pulling up and even if you're not tilted and playing bad with it luck/variance is a strange beast and sometimes it's just not your day. Further to that play your form up, if you are running good now is the time to gamble a little and take a shot at a bigger game. Try not to do the opposite which is play in a bigger game when you've been unlucky to recover your losses quicker, that's a surefire recipe for disaster.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2008, 02:39:28 PM »

Most obnoxious opponent

I have been a sunglasses wearer in the past but for a specific reason, i wear contact lenses and when im tired and particularly in the old smoky rooms we used to play in they can become quite irritable. I found that blocking out some of the artificial light by wearing sunglasses made it much more comfortable. I also used to wear them for big finals as you can kind of hide behind them and relax more.
These days with no smoky atmospheres and being used to big finals i no longer have the need to wear them. You'll only catch me wearing them now if i haven't slept for 36 hours! It does make me laugh when people have to take them off to read the board nearly as stupid as the donks who have to take the ipod/earphones off to hear the action.

Most obnoxious definitely Mark Teltscher he used his Ferrari line on me in the Deauville EPT a few years back, Annie Duke ran him a close 2nd when i played with her on day 4 of the WSOP 06.

Last question is so difficult because there's many different people for different reasons. Table chat and banter there's none better than Channing in England and sitting squeezed up next to Shannon Elizabeth in the Bellagio was a very pleasent experience. All round though i'm going to have to go for Thewy because he is a pleasure to play with and watch at work and he never ever believes me which has led to a good few chips coming my way. I might also be the only person in Europe up on him in coinflip situations!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:41:15 PM by riverdave » Logged
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2008, 03:23:22 PM »

1. Play out and out for the win. Play lots of short handed poker and refuse to deal with less experienced short handed players, a couple of wins in the year will   make you a lot more money than a string of 6th and 7th and 5 way chops.
2. Never go below 10 BB's in a reasonably good structured tourney.
3. Know your customers and learn their traits .
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2008, 01:58:49 AM »

1. Play out and out for the win. Play lots of short handed poker and refuse to deal with less experienced short handed players, a couple of wins in the year will   make you a lot more money than a string of 6th and 7th and 5 way chops.
2. Never go below 10 BB's in a reasonably good structured tourney.
3. Know your customers and learn their traits .

i wish you would have told me this when i did my student overdrafts in! when i was 18 coulda saved me a fortune. People of blonde be thankful imo. i lost shiiitloads
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2008, 02:34:23 AM »

Most obnoxious opponent

I have been a sunglasses wearer in the past but for a specific reason, i wear contact lenses and when im tired and particularly in the old smoky rooms we used to play in they can become quite irritable. I found that blocking out some of the artificial light by wearing sunglasses made it much more comfortable. I also used to wear them for big finals as you can kind of hide behind them and relax more.
These days with no smoky atmospheres and being used to big finals i no longer have the need to wear them. You'll only catch me wearing them now if i haven't slept for 36 hours! It does make me laugh when people have to take them off to read the board nearly as stupid as the donks who have to take the ipod/earphones off to hear the action.

Most obnoxious definitely Mark Teltscher he used his Ferrari line on me in the Deauville EPT a few years back, Annie Duke ran him a close 2nd when i played with her on day 4 of the WSOP 06.

Last question is so difficult because there's many different people for different reasons. Table chat and banter there's none better than Channing in England and sitting squeezed up next to Shannon Elizabeth in the Bellagio was a very pleasent experience. All round though i'm going to have to go for Thewy because he is a pleasure to play with and watch at work and he never ever believes me which has led to a good few chips coming my way. I might also be the only person in Europe up on him in coinflip situations!

aye, what with that & beating channing HU tis an elite club ur in...sigh
seriously tho, have you apportioned any of your 'on the way up' winnings to set yourself up for the years ahead, ie house etc?
call tk if fatherly advice req!
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »

Most obnoxious opponent

aye, what with that & beating channing HU tis an elite club ur in...sigh
seriously tho, have you apportioned any of your 'on the way up' winnings to set yourself up for the years ahead, ie house etc?
call tk if fatherly advice req!

No future planning hasn't featured yet it's in the pipeline.
riverdave

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »

OK i still owe a Vegas story and plans for this year anything else i've missed and not realised let me know.

Yesterday was another good day started the day with $800 on my FT account and after some afternoon grinding 2/4 and 3/6 PLO HU it developed into a $30 PLO rebuy win for just shy of $3k and a series of short stack attacks on 10/20 - 100/200. A healthy $15k profit for the day which has prompted a cashout and a trip to Blackpool for the long weekend. I will have internet access in my hotel room so keep the questions coming.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2008, 12:23:21 PM »

OK i still owe a Vegas story and plans for this year anything else i've missed and not realised let me know.

Yesterday was another good day started the day with $800 on my FT account and after some afternoon grinding 2/4 and 3/6 PLO HU it developed into a $30 PLO rebuy win for just shy of $3k and a series of short stack attacks on 10/20 - 100/200. A healthy $15k profit for the day which has prompted a cashout and a trip to Blackpool for the long weekend. I will have internet access in my hotel room so keep the questions coming.

this is legendary
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2008, 12:26:17 PM »

Sounds like you've been a pokerist for a few years now.

How did you get started, and what were your early experiences in terms of where / type of games etc...

Also, how long did it take to become a winning player?

Great thread btw.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

this is legendary

I know I stink at poker but, other than that, why can't I spin up like that?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »

would you accept a sponsorship deal from Absolute Poker?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: