blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:39:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  State of the Forum
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of the Forum  (Read 30443 times)
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »

what really tilts me is you have to pay £2.50 p&p to get your free sample of erection stuff

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
ChipRich

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2008, 03:04:47 PM »

what really tilts me is you have to pay £2.50 p&p to get your free sample of erection stuff

, world line.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:06:53 PM by ChipRich » Logged

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »

Yeah - who'd have thought you'd get screwed by an erection advert.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2008, 03:08:37 PM »

anyone seen the magazine ads for Swank Poker?  Don't think we'll be seeing their banners any time soon Cheesy

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2008, 03:09:44 PM »

anyone seen the magazine ads for Swank Poker?  Don't think we'll be seeing their banners any time soon Cheesy

no but I just signed up for their email updates

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2008, 03:10:18 PM »

Smiley  should point out even though website not up and running yet, what is there is NSFW!

anyway, avatars on the site are naked women, and there is a tag line along the lines of 'get your woman to play how you tell her' Roll Eyes

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
LLevan

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2008, 03:11:51 PM »

No but google just became my friend lol.

As for the ads at the top of the forum, Tighty does Blonde earn anything per click or do purchases have to be made for Blonde to earn some money?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2008, 03:18:37 PM »

Smiley  should point out even though website not up and running yet, what is there is NSFW!

anyway, avatars on the site are naked women, and there is a tag line along the lines of 'get your woman to play how you tell her' Roll Eyes

Do they do rakeback 

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
LLevan

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »

Do they do rakeback 
Is rakeback better than loyalty payments lol

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2008, 03:33:36 PM »

I tried to make a deposit but they insisted I withdraw instead.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »

Do they do rakeback 

dunno but mind your keyboard when you make a deposit

edit: damn that andrewt!

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »

Do they do rakeback 

dunno but mind your keyboard when you make a deposit

edit: damn that andrewt!

Woman says AndrewT is far too quick ldo.
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »

To everyone who has PM'd me with questions regarding the card room, I am working through them and will get back to you later this evening...

I didnt expect quite so many, but thanks and I will answer them all.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2008, 04:58:53 PM »

just got in

I'd better clarify the advertising points as there are questions

Very occasionally the ad deals are negotiated direct with the advertiser, but a while ago I recognised I needed expert help to assist blonde in making the most of its fast growing traffic, and in the last six months we've come to a couple of arrangements with two media suppliers

The need to do this became clear earlier this year. Our card-room was beginning to struggle, it wasn't acheiving the revenue for us that was needed to a) pay staff...(and none, absolutely none, of the staff earn what I would describe as "fair" rates for the job they do..for all of them to some extent its a labour of love) and b) cover the costs of the forum, doing live updates, promoting the company, putting bashes on, adding value to card-room leagues etc . The reasons for this struggle are referred to elsewhere but over and above anything else I suppose competition in the marketplace for big rakers became even more intense than before, and the top end of our rakers disappeared elsewhere as we couldn't match what they were being offered..

I mananged to get some sponsorships and board tenancies in Jan and Feb, but it didn't do everything we needed money wise

So the next step, and it was one taken a bit reluctantly, was to monetise the traffic on the forum

With specific regard to the ads, we're paid (our will be when we fulfill the deals, often they are post-paid) on a Cost Per Impression basis....ie at £x per 1,000 impressions. If you have a forum with for the sake of illustration only 1m impressions a month at £5CPM then that's worth £5000 and this might be over typically a number of months. Don't take this as a figure we're earning per advertiser, its less..its an illustration

So to answer one question, you don't need to do an "action" by ordering a product for us to get paid (you would do if it were payment on CPA, Cost per action). An impression on the forum page is enough. What does help though is the ratio of clicks to impressions on an ad...if we have a good % of click throughs then we are more likely to a) get renewals and b) charge higher rates. Unique users are important too. A characteristic we have (I call it the Boldie effect) is that we have some users that impress a lot, but the more uniques we have the better as some deals are on frequency cap..ie only your first few impressions in a given period count for the deal, and thus rewards higher numbers of uniques compared to comparatively few people who look at a lot of pages.

One media seller handles our business for gambling related advertisning and another handles our business for non-gambling advertisers.

Specifically for the latter we have a rate card, and the supplier a list of customers prepared to pay that rate and the agency chooses from that "pool". The fact that there are currently "Erection Product" ads in their two slots is not a conscious decision of mine, or anyone at blonde its from the "pool" of advertisers.

I'm a bit embarrased by it, not because of the subject matter as such but because I don't think, as a number of people have pointed out, that it sits too comfortably with our community ethos. Indeed I've asked my contact if ads of a suitable value from another advertier could be used instead.

On a wider issue, blonde isn't rolling in money. Far from it. At the moment our costs are way higher than our non advertising income and the ads are a means to an end. In an ideal world we wouldn't promote third parties, and we'd have a card-room that made us self sufficient. It doesn't, despite an awful lot of hard work to help it happen. We could reduce costs, whether that be people, bashes, live updates, whatever. I'd like to avoid that because I believe all areas of blonde have a good future, and potential.

I'm acutely conscious that commerciality doesn't always fit with a community. Its a tricky balance to strike especially when I have shareholders who need a fair return on their investment. If they don't get that then logically I'm not here, and someone else will have a go. Or the shareholders decide that the company needs to go in a different direction.

hope that helps

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 05:03:47 PM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2008, 05:27:05 PM »

Pele has erection problems - don't see what the problem with the ad is myself.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: