blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:22:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 621577 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3300 on: January 29, 2017, 03:43:36 PM »

Hacksaw Ridge

I guess most Blondes know that it's the true story of a conscientious objector who volunteered to be a medic but not to bear arms in WWII. You might challenge the choice of lead actor, until you meet the real man at the end of the film. You'll certainly struggle to fully understand our hero's stance, even after seeing the event he attributes it to. But there's no doubt that there are a number of moving, emotionally charged, lip-trembling, eye-watering scenes; and that the battle sequences are hard-hitting and graphic (although I still feel that Spielberg retains the edge for realism in Private Ryan - I know, htfdik?!) The portrayal of his astounding acts of bravery are mind-numbing, but there's always the Hollywood temptation to tug our heartstrings just that little bit more, which sadly (imo) only lessens the overall impact of the film.

Overall, it's a 7½ out of 10 from me. 9/10 for the battle sequences.

i thought it was a masterpiece

straight towards the top end of war films alongside stuff like thin red line

a violent and visceral anti-war pacifist war film with plenty of complex themes

one of the best films i have seen for ages

Andrew Garfield is really good in it

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3301 on: January 29, 2017, 05:09:33 PM »

Hacksaw Ridge

I guess most Blondes know that it's the true story of a conscientious objector who volunteered to be a medic but not to bear arms in WWII. You might challenge the choice of lead actor, until you meet the real man at the end of the film. You'll certainly struggle to fully understand our hero's stance, even after seeing the event he attributes it to. But there's no doubt that there are a number of moving, emotionally charged, lip-trembling, eye-watering scenes; and that the battle sequences are hard-hitting and graphic (although I still feel that Spielberg retains the edge for realism in Private Ryan - I know, htfdik?!) The portrayal of his astounding acts of bravery are mind-numbing, but there's always the Hollywood temptation to tug our heartstrings just that little bit more, which sadly (imo) only lessens the overall impact of the film.

Actually agree with both of you, much better than 4KSuited suggests but his criticisms are fair.

8.5/10 if you have read up about the movie and half know what to expect but I assume 10/10 if you went in blind and not even realising it's a true story.

Amazing to me it took so long for this guy's life to be made into a film.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: January 29, 2017, 10:43:34 PM »

Lion was pretty good, incredible true story, bit slow in the middle, real tear jerker of an ending. Well it was for me but mrs mantis called me a pooftah. The little kid plays a great part.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: January 30, 2017, 08:36:50 PM »

With Tighty on Hacksaw Ridge. Vince Vaughn a pleasant surprise too. Struggle not to give it the max 10.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3304 on: January 30, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »

With Tighty on Hacksaw Ridge. Vince Vaughn a pleasant surprise too. Struggle not to give it the max 10.

Vince can act when he can be arsed, think he might have been the best performance in it for me.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: January 31, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »

Hacksaw Ridge

Cheers for the recs for Hacksaw Ridge, I'm not sure I would have seen it if I hadn't read this thread. As you all said its a superb film and an amazing story too. The real lump in throat moment was at the end where they showed an interview with his captain that must have been 55 years or so after the war and he was crying and thanked him for saving his life and apologised for the way he had treated him. 9/10 for me.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3306 on: January 31, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »

Bit of a spoiler Smiley
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: February 01, 2017, 10:42:17 PM »

Hacksaw Ridge.. pretty incred story and film.. fantastic action sequences.. brutally visceral

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: February 08, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »

T2 Trainspotting

Tbh I'm a little surprised to be the first person commenting on this film, but in short, go and see this cinematic beauty at the first possible opportunity. You must sit right in the middle and hope for loud surround sound too. No, you don't have to have seen the original, but it would probably make the narrative even better. The original cast and director (oh Danny Boyle) make this a rarity amongst sequels that are at least as good as the originals. Source material is Irvine Welsh, and since he was involved as one of the producers, there was no chance of a total "Hollywood cop-out".

Friendship, regrets, missed opportunities, the passage of time, family loyalties.... and betrayals. All there. Overlaid on top by a magnificent soundtrack, intercutting with scenes from the original, and a wonderfully skilled job of directing and editing.

Finally, Robert Carlisle's psychopathic Begbie still frightens the living shit out of me. He'd chew Hannibal Lecter up & spit him out. Not that there aren't some fantastic comedy moments too. To be fair, there isn't a single weak link in any of the performances, and I'm still buzzing.

Favourite scene? There's lots to choose from, but I'm settling for the sing-song in the loyalist pub. Just too good.

Score? 9.5/10 since there must always be a little wiggle-room.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: February 09, 2017, 07:24:01 AM »

Agreed. I thought it was a superb follow up and hit exactly the right note. Ewen Bremner's performance as Spud was outstanding and it's really Spud's  film if anything. Spot on on Begbie. Absolutely terrifying!

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: February 09, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »

3rd'ed about T2, great film

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: February 09, 2017, 06:52:07 PM »

Hacksaw Ridge, wow.

9/10

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: February 12, 2017, 07:36:06 PM »

In cinema waiting for T2, really excited. What I'm not excited about is how long after the advertised start time movies actually kick off these days. Yeah yeah I know just arrive 30mins late like these mother feckers swanning in now right on time. But just can't do that, not in my character, late feels wrong man.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: February 12, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »

Get to the counter 25mins after off time. Perfect.

And sit in the front two or three rows. The whole world has this wrong, clambering for the middle or back.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: February 13, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »

Gold- True story of the ups and downs of a gold rush in Indonesia, is a true story apparently, pretty unbelievable if it is. Nice to see Matthew McConaughy do something other than look pretty on screen. Great watch, solid 8/10.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: