blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:31:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 621155 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: October 08, 2018, 07:48:54 PM »

The Wife a 10/10 every day of the week. A masterclass from the two leads and Glenn Close deserves her position as favourite.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: October 13, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »

A Star Is Born

Overlong at 168mins; found myself saying "get on with it" a few times.  Started well, though, with a truly blub-worthy debut duet performance. I wasn't convinced by the transformation from soul singer to dance routine popstress; perhaps a little contrived to show off Gaga's performing talents. Tbh I was more impressed by her physical talents: love a bit of titilation. Oddly, there was a spell in the third quarter of the film where I just lost engagement with the characters - probably a function of it being overlong.

Definitely not the best version of this fairly ancient classic, but certainly a decent effort by Bradley Cooper both in front & behind the camera. The boy can sing, too.

7/10
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: October 13, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »

A Star is Born

Two incredible performances and remarkable work by Bradley Cooper behind the camera. Some scenes and shots that I won't forget in a while.

I have never had an emotional reaction like that to film before and that's testament to my belief in the characters.

Not sure I could watch again and benefited hugely by knowing zero about the story. My film of the year.

9/10
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: October 29, 2018, 01:26:26 PM »

Bohemian Rhapsody

The supposed biopic of Freddie Mecury and to a lesser extent the story of super group Queen isn't my usual cup of Darjeeling.. I mean are there any car chases, huge explosions or scantily clad ladies in it ? .

However some bright spark decided to organise a family night at the cinema and the overwhelming choice was this, did they not know Hunter Killer was showing ?.

Like many, I cannot help but identify and enjoy the Queen hits we all know, this without having to be some kind super fan. So I settled back as we trundled through the meeting of minds, the student gigs all the way to sell out stadium super performances. It was all very nice learning along the way the genisis of a few of the iconic tunes, whether historically correct I know not but they made a nice little story nonetheless.

The script seemed to stay safe, only touching upon Freddies outrageous lifetstyle both public and private and trying to keep within some kind of pre-ordained boundry. It felt a bit clunky and forced in places but in essence was fine. What stood out as you would expect was the music and more surprisingly a fantastic performance from Rami Malek, who strutted and pouted across the screen with great verve and energy. Rami is to be congratulated not only on his awesome performance but being able to hold it on the right side of the absurd.. I think it would be so easy to overplay a role depicting someone so larger than life than Mr Mercury, easily descending into over the top caricature. The film builds to its finale of Queens incredible performance at Live Aid ( which i'm sure ran in real time ) and real goose bumps hatched all over my body at the emotive performance of Malek. It was quite something !

Overall I enjoyed the experience..some great music and a fantastic lead performance added to some excellent support and attention to detail.. the script did float gently over some of the darker aspects but a good time was had by all and a very solid

7.5 Fajitas

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3574 on: October 29, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »

Nice review Mr Sicilian, you definitely have a flair for it.

Do you write elsewhere or as part of your work?

The older I get, the better I was.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: October 29, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »

Ha.. my number one fan..i enjoy writing..i do a simple NFL betting blog and I write some fiction for my own satisfaction.. i do aim to submit some stuff but apparently I have to work for a living as being an international jet setting poker player and sex symbol hasnt quite taken off Smiley

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: October 29, 2018, 02:26:48 PM »

do you remember the crazy faux blog i done on the young life of chompy ?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3577 on: October 29, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »

do you remember the crazy faux blog i done on the young life of chompy ?

I think so, but then Chompy gets so much stick....

link plz.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: October 29, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=51270.0

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3579 on: October 29, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »

Haha! Definitely worth a bump. Any chance of another instalment?

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: October 29, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »

Saw the preview of the Queen film. Can't bring myself to seeing the rest of the toothsome performance by Mr Malek. Can't see him in much else other than maybe a Ken Dodd biopic...

Meanwhile, the latest Halloween film with the ever crazier JL Cutis is just pure exploitation rubbish - unless you like that kind of thing, of course... Usually there's a bit of humour thrown in as compensation for the lack of plot, but that was absent too.

1 smashed pumpkin out of 10
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: October 30, 2018, 03:20:15 PM »

Ha ..might have to get my thinking cap on

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: November 09, 2018, 05:43:21 PM »

Overlord.

Hilariously bad. Jurassic World: Fallen Franchise has a strong rival at the Razzies.

Funniest film I've seen since Trainwreck but of course it doesn't set out to be.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3583 on: November 22, 2018, 06:16:49 PM »

Outlaw King.

Pretty good Medieval tale, if you liked Braveheart then you will probably enjoy this.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6679794/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: November 24, 2018, 08:51:17 AM »

not really my bag, but this has caused excitement

https://twitter.com/disneylionking/status/1065734854778572800

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 ... 255 Go Up Print