blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:54:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272718 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Ryder Cup
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ryder Cup  (Read 19221 times)
Josedinho

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »

For me this is up there with the Lions tours as the best non-football sporting event. It's so much better than watching any other golf.
I've looked at the odds and Europe are odds against? How? I'm thinking of backing us big. In fact i fancy us in alot of markets (to win day 1, to win day 2, to win day 3, winning after day 1, winning after day 2, first team to go 1 up, first team to score a point) but i wanted to know if there was some major reason why USA are now just about the same odds as us to win it?
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »

Home advantage i'd imagine as player for player Europe have it...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:56:23 PM »

Right now Betfair has:

Europe - 2.04
USA - 2.28
Tie - 13.5

If you can get odds against at a bookies I'd take it.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:04:47 PM »

I want the US in this if they move to slight underdogs.

Not much in the teams, particularly as the bottom 5-6 of the European team are so inexperienced compared to normal teams

A lot of the US team know the course v v  well too, watch out for J B Holmes

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:06:52 PM »

I want Europe to smash the septics, but I want Poulter to lose every match.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Matt50

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »

Being at home is a significant advantage, but so to is the fact that Tiger Woods is not playing.  I am of the understanding that the American team is much more united without Tiger, and the players also want to show that they can win without him.  He is not respected anywhere near as much by his countrymen as he is everywhere else in the world, and there is a firm belief that they will perform better without him.

It is also felt that Nick Faldo has made a couple of major errors already, firstly with the fact that he is only taking Olazabel to help him. I, as many others believe that he needs more help out on the course, and more experience in making the key decisions on partnerships and final day positions.  Also in his wild card picks he has not picked players in form, and coupled with the inexperience of some of the players, Europe could be up against it.

I sincerely hope that i am wrong, but i think that the USA will win the Ryder Cup this year.

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »

Aye looking forward to this Smiley I agree I think he should have made a few more co-captains Sad
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »

Aye looking forward to this Smiley I agree I think he should have made a few more co-captains Sad

Why?

What do these co-captains actually do?
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »

I want Europe to smash the septics, but I want Poulter to lose every match.

LOL my mate also thinks he is a knob but did think one of his quotes was brilliant.

When asked what is the worst thing anyone had said to him he replied "It's still you"  Cheesy
Matt50

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »

Why?

What do these co-captains actually do?

Not so much co-captains, but people out with each group, telling him who is playing well in the morning, who seems to be struggling and should maybe not play in the afternoon - little things like that can make all the difference.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 01:26:15 PM »

has he not taken Monty to help then? big mistake if not imo. if you're not having him playing you should still have him there, no-one else has his recent ryder cup experience coupled with his knowledge of both teams players

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Flea

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »

Home advantage i'd imagine as player for player Europe have it...

Not according to World Rankings we don't !!

I really want Europe to win this again but I'm afraid I just can't see it as Faldo has left himself with very few obvious partnerships, unless I'm wrong he has Garcia and Westwood/Stenson, Casey and Poulter/Rose, Harrington and Mcdowell after that he's struggling for natural partnerships which is why leaving Clarke out was unbelievable.

I just think that this time round for the first time in years Europe doesn't have a player who you could pretty much pair with any other member of the team and make a decent partnership (like Langer used to and I think someone like Darren Clarke could), Luke Donald is a big miss I think as he'd have made a great partner for Oliver Wilson who may well have to be paired with either Casey or Westwood now which means splitting one of his top partnerships.

Also agree with the point about Faldo only having Olazabal for help on the course, that's not enough people IMO.

So I can see a US win this time (I just hope it's close).

"Am I out yet??"

Poker aliases: PStars - Flea71 Virgin - Flea71 Blonde - Flea Sky - Flea Betfair - flea71 WHill - And170570
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »

Faldo's strength-his impregnable self belief-can also be his weakness

With 4 matches on the go, its usual to have "spotters"/asssistants usually called vice or co captains on each group reporting to the captain so as to help formulate future strategy etc

Faldo could be a brilliant captain, but he's unlikey to be as inclusive as most and it will be interesting to see if European team spirit is there, as it was say fantastically last time in Ireland, when things go a bit pear shaped as they are bound to occasionally

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Flea

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »

has he not taken Monty to help then? big mistake if not imo. if you're not having him playing you should still have him there, no-one else has his recent ryder cup experience coupled with his knowledge of both teams players

You just wanted to see the ensuing fight if he had  Cheesy

"Am I out yet??"

Poker aliases: PStars - Flea71 Virgin - Flea71 Blonde - Flea Sky - Flea Betfair - flea71 WHill - And170570
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »

I also fancy the americans for this ,it's so strange that tiger not being there can be a positive for them.Also have my doubts about faldo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: