blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:41:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 ... 175 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....  (Read 345910 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: May 03, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »

You could be looking at this season as a great sucess in 12 months time.

Ouch.

If we don't 'overpeform' again then you may well be right.

Wasn't intended as a dig, but the guy who owns your club don't seem too keen to spend money so Pardew or no Pardew could be grim next year.

Believe me following a club that hasn't tasted top flight football this century your problems are ones I'd love every day.

Every Newcastle fan I know is in agreement that Pardew is just a small part of the problem.

imo the biggest problem with the club is the fan's deluded sense of entitlement/expectation.  Your club is being run on a sensible 65% wages/turnover ratio by a shrewd business man owner who is self made.  Just because you have 55,000 turn up every week that isn't the key revenue driver in football anymore like it was 30 years ago.  If football was judged on a big crowd in a single team city with no competition then yes you would be considered a big club.  However it's not 1982 any more and things have moved on.

Same old bs that is completely untrue and really annoying.

Why do you expect the owner not to utilise a key revenue stream in stadium naming rights just so the ground stays as St James park?  What fecking difference does it make.  Virtually every arena/stadium in US sports have naming rights attached to them.  Numerous do in the EPL now as well.  Why would you want to fall behind the game by not doing that as a fan?

As a Stoke fan when the club's deal with Britannia is up i would confidently expect the ground to be renamed as the 'bet365arena' as it belongs to the owners and they have 1000% right to call their stadium (not the fans) - they own it, anything they choose to.  Why do football fans think they should have a say in what a building which they own 0% of should be called?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:17:22 PM by arbboy » Logged
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 03, 2014, 06:14:50 PM »

Ouch.

Wasn't intended as a dig, but the guy who owns your club don't seem too keen to spend money so Pardew or no Pardew could be grim next year.

Believe me following a club that hasn't tasted top flight football this century your problems are ones I'd love every day.

Every Newcastle fan I know is in agreement that Pardew is just a small part of the problem.

imo the biggest problem with the club is the fan's deluded sense of entitlement/expectation.  Your club is being run on a sensible 65% wages/turnover ratio by a shrewd business man owner who is self made.  Just because you have 55,000 turn up every week that isn't the key revenue driver in football anymore like it was 30 years ago.  If football was judged on a big crowd in a single team city with no competition then yes you would be considered a big club.  However it's not 1982 any more and things have moved on.

Absolute bollocks.

Please tell me all about our financial performance. Please tell me all about the fact that a ground which is twice the size of Norwich's but we have a similar commercial revenue. Note that's not just 'matchday revenue', but commercial revenue in it's entirety.

Why don't you tell me all about that.

Whilst you're at it, why don't you tell me all about how easy it is for mugs to be taken in by lazy journalism and the 'good businessman' PR spin.

By many measures the club also under performs financially as well as on the field. But that's not the story you've been sold so just believe it because you've seen the kind of balloon who stands outside the ground ranting into the SSN cameras and you can take him as a representation of the enitre fanbase and conclude we're all deluded.

Like any club, we have our share of deluded fans who think we should be challenging for the CL spots but most aren't. We just want a team that gives a shit and not the be treated like mugs. If we got that, and got relegated next year anyway, I'd be happier than I was this year for sure.

It's no fun being lied to constantly, being blamed for the team losing, watching the board defend a manager who headbutts and opponent etc etc. If thinking any of that makes me deluded then pass me the fucking crack pipe.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 03, 2014, 06:16:50 PM »

tell you I'ma huge fan off, Shola Ameobi.

Legend.

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 03, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »

Ouch.

Same old bs that is completely untrue and really annoying.

Why do you expect the owner not to utilise a key revenue stream in stadium naming rights just so the ground stays as St James park?  What fecking difference does it make.  Virtually every arena/stadium in US sports have naming rights attached to them.  Numerous do in the EPL now as well.  Why would you want to fall behind the game by not doing that as a fan?

Teams do that to increase revenues and inturn can further invest to improve the team, Sports Direct pay us precisely £0 for advertising, you knew that though right ?

People weren't happy because they know it wouldn't lead to any kind of positive result for the club, if it did then people would be happy with that happening, obv.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 03, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »

Yes i did know that because Ashley is using it as a trial to see the impact to then sell the rights to outside businesses for $.  However even if he chooses to keep it as Sports Direct there will be an inter company transfer between his two companies for an amount to suit his companies for tax reasons which as the sole owner of Newcastle he has every right to do.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 03, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »

Yes i did know that because Ashley is using it as a trial to see the impact to then sell the rights to outside businesses for $.  However even if he chooses to keep it as Sports Direct there will be an inter company transfer between his two companies for an amount to suit his companies for tax reasons which as the sole owner of Newcastle he has every right to do.

So when was there a huge amount of cash for stadium naming rights that we all wanted turned down ?
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 03, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »

Indefinite trial I guess then, positively Kafkan.

Wake me up pls it's all been a bad dream.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 03, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »

tell you I'ma huge fan off, Shola Ameobi.

Legend.

True that. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1823 on: May 03, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »

Newcastle have a net spend of -24m over the past 5 years.

They didnt sign anyone this season.

Dont see how you can argue with fans being upset with the investment in the team Arboy

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/newcastle-united-transfers.html

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 03, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »

Didn't hear these complaints 6 months ago when they were running like god now they have regressed to the mean over the course of the season it's all the owners fault for not spending. 

Serious question do fans of football teams (not just newcastle btw) expect the owner of the club to be able to make a profit or should this never happen?
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 03, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »

Didn't hear these complaints 6 months ago when they were running like god now they have regressed to the mean over the course of the season it's all the owners fault for not spending. 

Serious question do fans of football teams (not just newcastle btw) expect the owner of the club to be able to make a profit or should this never happen?

If you didn't hear the complaints about the way the owner was treating the club 6months ago you can't have been listening very hard. Or indeed at all.

For what it's worth this 'football is a business' argument is also debatable. There's an entire chapter in soccernomics devoted to the idea that in general it would be better for football clubs to be social enterprises not businesses.

However, this isn't the way of the world and right now they are businesses (at least at the top level) which is fine, and clubs can try and make profit etc, no problem. But you wouldn't run a business without ambition so why would you run a football club without it.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 03, 2014, 08:33:50 PM »

You run a business to maximise shareholder wealth which is probably what ashley is doing a very successful job of.  Pretty hard to argue he hasn't bought at the bottom of most players valuations and sold at the top.  Pretty simple way to make money.    All whilst easily maintaining their position at the top table of the EPL and all the financial rewards it brings.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 03, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »

You run a business to maximise shareholder wealth which is probably what ashley is doing a very successful job of.  Pretty hard to argue he hasn't bought at the bottom of most players valuations and sold at the top.  Pretty simple way to make money.    All whilst easily maintaining their position at the top table of the EPL and all the financial rewards it brings.

Yes. He has done that. No when did he last make a perm signing? And who was it? What will their expected value be when sold?

How do you continue this superb business strategy without actually making a perm signing?
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 03, 2014, 08:42:04 PM »

I mean you just keep making sweeping statements that aren't true, not really sure why you are doing that but ok enjoy, done with this debate now, since it's clearly, as usual, a waste of time.

This was almost exactly 6 months.

Personally I honestly don't believe this is acceptable.

Pardew is a spineless man and and a spineless manager, nobody can defend this.

Last season our worst performance of the season was against our biggest rivals at home, this year he put a team out who once again decided to put in the worst performance of the season in the biggest game of the season. This imo isn't acceptable, this isn't me heart over head, the game against Sunderland genuinely was our worst performance of the season, ditto today. I see no reason why the players would bottle a derby they don't actually give a shit about so you have to blame the manager. Ashley's a twat who doesn't give a shit so he's fine but Pardew deserves to be sacked for today's performance alone, absolutely disgusting.

Couple of months before that

Pretty clear to see that we have a lot of players who aren't anywhere near the level needed to be successful at a top level club. Of course the odd potential banana skin tie means the games aren't pretty but this is the 7th, 8th or even more time that the same second string players have played against weak opposition and showed nothing, they clearly aren't good enough.

We were really lucky tonight, and a man under as much pressure as Pardew I'm surprised he took such a big risk as we could very easily have lost tonight.

You want me to carry on ?

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 03, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »

He is a shrewd business man he knows no matter how loud the newcastle fans bark they will still turn up week in week out.  Football to use an economics term is a very inelastic product (basically means customers are very loyal and don't move easily as the price goes up) therefore he knows one revenue stream is pretty constant the match day revenue.  The other key revenue streams are the tv deal which is constant as long as they remain in the EPL.  He controls his profit like most businesses by paying as little as possible for his overheads (players wages - 65% of his total turnover) to ensure the above revenue streams keep rolling in.  Most business owners don't care about their customers and i am sure he doesn't either as long as they keep turning up and buying his products (which they do every other week at stjames).  He has spent the last 20 years of his life buying up destressed firms and making them profitable.  Pretty sure whatever he says in public this is just another business for him which is he using to promote his main business sportsdirect.com which has made him one of the richest people in the uk.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:46:25 PM by arbboy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 ... 175 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: