blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:10:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272600 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 175 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tales from the Toon. The ups and downs of an NUFC supporter....  (Read 345685 times)
Maxriddles

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2009, 10:43:01 PM »

Gutted for Shearer and for all of the Newcastle fans, you deserve better. Hope it's a quick return to the top flight.

Howard Webb has a fair bit to answer for too as feck all wrong with the disallowed goal against Fulham.

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2009, 10:42:22 AM »

Tbh, there were numerous places where we've been unlucky and had goals disallowed but that's backed up by an equal measure of terrible performances when one more point would've sufficed. Can't blame the ref when all we have need is 1 more point over 38 games. 35 points is a pitiful target.

dan

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 25, 2009, 11:11:16 AM »

I dont mean for this to be a rubdown but it may sound that way.

As a season ticket holder at another PL club I am quite glad Newcastle are down. All you hear about is how the fans derserve better, the fans deserve a trophy blah blah. I have never understood where this comes from tbh. The fans are the same at alot of other clubs. We sellout for every away game as do Man Utd, Liverpool, Villa, Everton, Spurs etc etc. I know we get stick about the atmosphere at home but our away support is quite the opposite.

As a club, I and dont just mean this season, they must be one of the worst ran clubs in the world. There is always contraversey surrounding them, player bust ups, and so on.
I cant think of many players that have gone to Newcastle and actually done it and they have spent big money over the years too on some big names. And its not just players its managers too.

Although saying that I surprised myself yesterday, I didnt go to our last game of the season because Ive hurt my foot so I watched survival sunday. Whilst watching the games I found myself wanting Newcastle to stay up and for Hull to go down.

This is going to be an interesting summer for Newcastle. Surely they are going to lose about 80% of their players, Martins, Owen, Viduka, Smith, Butt?, Duff, Beye, guthierez(sp?) I just feel that if they dont bounce straight back it may go from bad to worse.

This may just be the big wake up call the Newcastle neee. They need to rebuild and try and build a squad like when they got promotion under Keegan.
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 25, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »

I do feel for the fans. They fill their stadium. Plenty of clubs do not come close to doing that. We as fans of any football club can surely identify with their pain. The problems are well known but in honesty a proportion of their support have brought this upon their own club. Allardyce would have sorted this club out. You might not have liked how pretty the football was but he understands club structures and what it takes to survive in the premiership.

This was not good enough. Quick fix and pretty football was demanded, chaos and relegation ensued. The messiahs are serial walkers. Keegan was the reason I put my bet on in September. i figured if he walked ( and let's be honest it would not be first time) that would be it.

To all you Toon fans I hope you are back in the premiership soon but imagine this scenario. Shearer walks. Players all sold. Ashley refuses to sell the club and takes them into administration. Lose 10 points. Ask any Leeds supporter what happens next.

For any fans of any premiership club who are feeling smug. We are all in debt. Fans are not spending as much money. The players are overpaid and nobody is standing up to them. This is a big mistake. The product is tired and the big four will be up there again. Massively in debt but up there. Next season should be absolutely fascinating financially. There will be some value around.....

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2009, 12:40:11 PM »

As a season ticket holder at another PL club I am quite glad Newcastle are down. All you hear about is how the fans derserve better, the fans deserve a trophy blah blah. I have never understood where this comes from tbh. The fans are the same at alot of other clubs. We sellout for every away game as do Man Utd, Liverpool, Villa, Everton, Spurs etc etc. I know we get stick about the atmosphere at home but our away support is quite the opposite.

As a club, I and dont just mean this season, they must be one of the worst ran clubs in the world. There is always contraversey surrounding them, player bust ups, and so on.
I cant think of many players that have gone to Newcastle and actually done it and they have spent big money over the years too on some big names. And its not just players its managers too.

Although saying that I surprised myself yesterday, I didnt go to our last game of the season because Ive hurt my foot so I watched survival sunday. Whilst watching the games I found myself wanting Newcastle to stay up and for Hull to go down.

This is going to be an interesting summer for Newcastle. Surely they are going to lose about 80% of their players, Martins, Owen, Viduka, Smith, Butt?, Duff, Beye, guthierez(sp?) I just feel that if they dont bounce straight back it may go from bad to worse.

This may just be the big wake up call the Newcastle neee. They need to rebuild and try and build a squad like when they got promotion under Keegan.

No offence but knew i should've ignored this post anyway...

Who is it that says they deserve to win a trophy,i guess the word they kinda proves the point it isn't us the fans of newcastle united who say this,it's blatantly obvious we don't deserve to win any trophy just like ryan giggs didnt deserve to get pfa poty this season but all save that for another time.All we've ever asked for is a manager and 11 players who give it a 100%,show that they care and yeah we want to watch some decent football but FFS do people think we wouldn't be happy to watch shite football if we where winning 1-0 every week i'd be over the moon for christ sake obv.

You refer to away support but it is the home support that is always the issue here to be fair,and here's the thing;the clubs you mentioned for instance i've seen a few villa games where the ground looks half empty similarly i don't
believe goodison park is usually a sell out for the "lesser" teams they play as for the rest they've all won trophys in the last 5 years but as is proven we don't support our team on the requirement that we are a success just that we play decent football and give it a 100%, before this season with the ashley shit and all that we got 50k+ pretty much every league game since the ground was made bigger that's pretty good support imo.

Your reference to how bad the club has been run obviously has nothing to do with the fans and when people say where idiots for wanting shepherd out and then ashley and people have a go at us for wanting "success" the fact is the club is a shambles before yesterday and before ashley but he's made things 10x worse and i think us as fans are entitled to be a bit pissed off at that wouldn't you agree ?

As for players leaving i've already made my feelings clear about that,none of them bar habib beye and possibly bassong (although him saying last week he'd leave if we go down was bad timing from him and unnecessary).

So basically i am absolutely gutted that we're down,but i hope that in 5 years time we will look back at this point and see it was a good thing for us and hopefully better times are ahead for us.But no matter what, I and I would guess 35-40k other newcastle fans will be there come the start of next season to support our team.KEEP THE FAITH

Edit:No dig was ment at everton they are clearly a well run club with good support,gl to them and david moyes
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:46:20 PM by mondatoo » Logged
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2009, 12:50:35 PM »

Surely one of the problems with Newcastle is simply that they're in Newcastle - stuck away in the corner of the country miles away from any city in which an absolute top-class player would want to move to.

If it's not London or the North West then a top player isn't going to be interested. In order to attract players Newcastle have to offer bigger wages, which leads to the natural selection of the players they end up getting being the ones who are most motivated by money, rather than pride, ambition or the desire to become a better player.

Watching the game yesterday the thing which struck me most was that how no Newcastle player looked as if they were even breaking into a sweat to keep their team up, let alone busting a gut - they didn't care, knowing that they'll either leave, and stay in the Premiership, or go down with Newcastle and continue to pick up a huge pay packet as they see out their careers.

The thing Newcastle need more than anything else is hunger among their players.

As others have said, the fact Newcastle are a 'big club' or 'their fans deserve more' doesn't come into it - over 38 games the table doesn't lie, Newcastle were one of the three worst teams and so should go down.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 25, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »

Surely one of the problems with Newcastle is simply that they're in Newcastle - stuck away in the corner of the country miles away from any city in which an absolute top-class player would want to move to.

If it's not London or the North West then a top player isn't going to be interested. In order to attract players Newcastle have to offer bigger wages, which leads to the natural selection of the players they end up getting being the ones who are most motivated by money, rather than pride, ambition or the desire to become a better player.

Watching the game yesterday the thing which struck me most was that how no Newcastle player looked as if they were even breaking into a sweat to keep their team up, let alone busting a gut - they didn't care, knowing that they'll either leave, and stay in the Premiership, or go down with Newcastle and continue to pick up a huge pay packet as they see out their careers.

The thing Newcastle need more than anything else is hunger among their players.

As others have said, the fact Newcastle are a 'big club' or 'their fans deserve more' doesn't come into it - over 38 games the table doesn't lie, Newcastle were one of the three worst teams and so should go down.

Very good post sir,we definitly deserved to go down no doubt about that
dan

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2009, 04:26:22 PM »

Who is it that says they deserve to win a trophy,i guess the word they kinda proves the point it isn't us the fans of newcastle united who say this,it's blatantly obvious we don't deserve to win any trophy just like ryan giggs didnt deserve to get pfa poty this season but all save that for another time.All we've ever asked for is a manager and 11 players who give it a 100%,show that they care and yeah we want to watch some decent football but FFS do people think we wouldn't be happy to watch shite football if we where winning 1-0 every week i'd be over the moon for christ sake obv.

You refer to away support but it is the home support that is always the issue here to be fair,and here's the thing;the clubs you mentioned for instance i've seen a few villa games where the ground looks half empty similarly i don't
believe goodison park is usually a sell out for the "lesser" teams they play as for the rest they've all won trophys in the last 5 years but as is proven we don't support our team on the requirement that we are a success just that we play decent football and give it a 100%, before this season with the ashley shit and all that we got 50k+ pretty much every league game since the ground was made bigger that's pretty good support imo.

Your reference to how bad the club has been run obviously has nothing to do with the fans and when people say where idiots for wanting shepherd out and then ashley and people have a go at us for wanting "success" the fact is the club is a shambles before yesterday and before ashley but he's made things 10x worse and i think us as fans are entitled to be a bit pissed off at that wouldn't you agree ?

As for players leaving i've already made my feelings clear about that,none of them bar habib beye and possibly bassong (although him saying last week he'd leave if we go down was bad timing from him and unnecessary).

So basically i am absolutely gutted that we're down,but i hope that in 5 years time we will look back at this point and see it was a good thing for us and hopefully better times are ahead for us.But no matter what, I and I would guess 35-40k other newcastle fans will be there come the start of next season to support our team.KEEP THE FAITH

Edit:No dig was ment at everton they are clearly a well run club with good support,gl to them and david moyes

Mond, sorry I didn’t explain myself too well. When I said about the fans derserve this and that I know its not the fans that say it a lot of it is the media. The same way they say about European nights at Anfield and things like that. (yes European nights at Anfield have a good atmosphere but that’s just because it’s a big game like any stadium has a good atmosphere for big games, even ours)

My point about away support was just a point in general, what I am trying to say is that a lot of clubs have great support not just Newcastle. Newcastle fans are no better or worse than most other clubs fans. The only difference is they have to travel a lot futher for away games. I would say that most Newcastle fans live within a close proximity of the ground, I have to make a 260 mile round trip to go to a home game but I don’t see myself as a better or worse fan than most other fans.

The way the club is ran is a disgrace imo, yes I do agree with you and the fans should be pissed off with it but I think this is another reason why a lot of people have no sympathy for Newcastle United Football Club, the same way people don’t have sympathy with Leeds United  and their situation.

One other thing that I think is a little stupid is every time things go wrong the same old excuses come out. “we need people who understand the club” “we need Geordie people” Well in recent years you’ve had Bobby Robson, Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer as managers ( in all fairness to Shearer he may do a good job in future as he has only had 8 games) aswell as a fan who sits in the stand as owner, maybe it is complete opposite of what you need maybe you need complete proffesional people into run the club who don’t have personal ties.

Like I said whilst watching the games yesterday I wanted Newcastle to stay up, I don’t know why but that’s just how I felt. I can appreciate you must be gutted. If Shearer does stay in charge I think he may steady the ship and give the club a little more respect.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 25, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »

Reading Hansen's column in today's telegraph you could be forgiven for thinking that Alan Shearer was an experienced top class manager who had been really unlucky over the eight games in charge.

I wonder how that column would have read had it been someone other than Shearer who had overseen a 1 in 8 record? 5 points from 24?

I sympathise with the fans, and of course the Chairmanship has been questionable over the past few seasons, but when the fans keep calling for Messiahs like Keegan and Shearer to be manager they overlook the fact that it takes experience to build a winning team.

Ashley should move heaven and earth to get Steve Bruce in the job

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 25, 2009, 07:40:25 PM »

Smiley

Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 25, 2009, 07:43:48 PM »

LOL @ Sid James Park.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
brummieboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: May 25, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »

Not sure what Villa games you've seen Mond our lowest league crowd was 34000 against Bolton who's away support normally come in a couple of taxis. Thats 8000 below capacity.
Newcastle had two attendancies of 44000 which is 8000 below their capacity.  We had a couple of lower crowds in the early rounds of the UEFA cup but I still remember seeing a practically empty St James Park against Spurs in the League Cup and the FA Cup replay against Hull was barely half full.
I wish you luck in getting back up at the first attempt as Newcastle should be in the top flight hope you get a few players who play with a bit more pride for that famous black and white shirt.

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: May 25, 2009, 11:56:41 PM »

I don't think there is any sort of Leeds united issue. The only creditor of note is mike ashley and 1) I can't picture any motiation to take it into administration (or even if that would be legal or an option etc) 2) I can't see us getting in a position where that's an issue.

Loads has been said about no delegation clauses etc. Of our 70m wage bill Owen is 6m and viduka 3m. That's a decent reduction before starting.

I'm down in London flat hunting so only got access via phone. Few posts of interest which I'd have to try and respond to at the end of the week. I think andrewT has made that point before and I completely agree with it. So different now from even 12 to 15 years ago and is quite possibily what has really challenged my whole enjoyment of football.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:58:46 PM by Rooky9 » Logged

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 26, 2009, 12:07:31 AM »

Mond, sorry I didn’t explain myself too well. When I said about the fans derserve this and that I know its not the fans that say it a lot of it is the media. The same way they say about European nights at Anfield and things like that. (yes European nights at Anfield have a good atmosphere but that’s just because it’s a big game like any stadium has a good atmosphere for big games, even ours)

My point about away support was just a point in general, what I am trying to say is that a lot of clubs have great support not just Newcastle. Newcastle fans are no better or worse than most other clubs fans. The only difference is they have to travel a lot futher for away games. I would say that most Newcastle fans live within a close proximity of the ground, I have to make a 260 mile round trip to go to a home game but I don’t see myself as a better or worse fan than most other fans.

The way the club is ran is a disgrace imo, yes I do agree with you and the fans should be pissed off with it but I think this is another reason why a lot of people have no sympathy for Newcastle United Football Club, the same way people don’t have sympathy with Leeds United  and their situation.

One other thing that I think is a little stupid is every time things go wrong the same old excuses come out. “we need people who understand the club” “we need Geordie people” Well in recent years you’ve had Bobby Robson, Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer as managers ( in all fairness to Shearer he may do a good job in future as he has only had 8 games) aswell as a fan who sits in the stand as owner, maybe it is complete opposite of what you need maybe you need complete proffesional people into run the club who don’t have personal ties.

Like I said whilst watching the games yesterday I wanted Newcastle to stay up, I don’t know why but that’s just how I felt. I can appreciate you must be gutted. If Shearer does stay in charge I think he may steady the ship and give the club a little more respect.

Fair points,as for the three managers you mentioned,sir bobby had us in the cl and we played really good football,keegan had us playing some of the best football ever played in the prem and came close to winning us the league and as you said shearer hasn't had anytime to judge him on.

As for villa in previous seasons when they weren't doing so well there attendance for tv games has looked poor to me but i may be wrong.Gl to you and your club though
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 26, 2009, 12:58:37 PM »

There was a tongue in cheek suggestion in Scotland that rather than Celtic & Rangers joining the english leagues, we should invite the 3 North-East clubs to join the SPL. They'd all have a far better chance of making Europe - the travelling for away games would probably average at less than currently & the might even challenge for a trophy.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 175 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: