blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:05:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Trapping Squeezers
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trapping Squeezers  (Read 4884 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »

If you flatted a raise with aces hoping a regular TAG will squeeze behind, and then you flat-call after the initial raiser folds, what should your line be on the flop?
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »

Unless it's a really dry board...

IP, I like betting and raising.

OOP, I like check raising.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:36:56 AM »

It is so board and player dependent imo, don't try and make hard & fast rules for yourself imo. Though tanks default lines are not the worst.
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 03:37:54 AM »

It is so board and player dependent imo, don't try and make hard & fast rules for yourself imo. Though tanks default lines are not the worst.

yeap. and stack sizes also crucial.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 04:39:19 AM »

Both players have full stacks, cash 6-h nlh mid stakes.

Opponent is regular TAG, not insane, but knows when to apply the pressure. Very capable of squeezing light, and will continue bet most flops.

Obv flop dependent. Was hoping for an 'if...' type post a la tank.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:11:10 AM by snoopy1239 » Logged
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 04:48:27 AM »

What Longy said basically.

Never have a set line. Sometimes u'll make a normal lead, sometimes a check raise, sometimes a flat call etc. This is so dependant on each and every situation its impossible to say.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 05:43:24 AM »

Example.

Full stacks at $0.5/1.

Raiser makes it $4, hero flats, villain repops to $14, o.r folds, hero calls.

Flop =

(1) Two Diamonds
(2) three diamonds
(3)
(4)
(5) Two Diamonds
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:24:49 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:12 AM »

Example.

Full stacks at $1/2.

Raiser makes it $4, hero flats, villain repops to $14, o.r folds, I call.

Flop =

(1) Two Diamonds
(2) three diamonds
(3)
(4)
(5) Two Diamonds

What's with the weird pre-flop raise sizes in all your posts at the moment... If you wanted a 'standard' answer to this question I'd have thought you'd be better off looking at how to play it with a standard preflop raise. Obviously makes a massive difference - normally the pot would be $60ish in this spot, with the min raise pre it's only $30 and it's going to be much harder to get it all in ahead. For which reason I think I'd usually prefer to reraise at some point preflop, when the initial raiser only makes it $4.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »

Example.

Full stacks at $1/2.

Flop =

(1) Two Diamonds
(2) three diamonds
(3)
(4)
(5) Two Diamonds

What's with the weird pre-flop raise sizes in all your posts at the moment... If you wanted a 'standard' answer to this question I'd have thought you'd be better off looking at how to play it with a standard preflop raise. Obviously makes a massive difference - normally the pot would be $60ish in this spot, with the min raise pre it's only $30 and it's going to be much harder to get it all in ahead. For which reason I think I'd usually prefer to reraise at some point preflop, when the initial raiser only makes it $4.

Yeah, in this spot I think I would reraises instead of trapping. In my experience aggro regs are a lot more suspicious about reraising these minraises than standard ones, and I see them completeing a tad more, which leaves you three handed in a small pot against two very wide ranges, not the best for aces. Reraise the smaller bets here, you'll get action from the original raiser a lot of the time imo and you should concentrate on him in this spot.

Back to standard lines, obviously flop dependant but I like Tanks defaults. I generally like check raising out of position because this is what I am going to do from time to time with complete air.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »

Example.

Full stacks at $1/2.

Flop =

(1) Two Diamonds
(2) three diamonds
(3)
(4)
(5) Two Diamonds

Sorry, that's my mistake. The game's 0.50/1. Hope that makes more sense. The idea of a facing a min raise does create an interesting situatuon though, so thoughts about that are appreciated nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:33:30 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:35:04 PM »

Example.

Full stacks at $1/2.

Flop =

(1) Two Diamonds
(2) three diamonds
(3)
(4)
(5) Two Diamonds

Yeah, in this spot I think I would reraises instead of trapping. In my experience aggro regs are a lot more suspicious about reraising these minraises than standard ones, and I see them completeing a tad more, which leaves you three handed in a small pot against two very wide ranges, not the best for aces. Reraise the smaller bets here, you'll get action from the original raiser a lot of the time imo and you should concentrate on him in this spot.

Back to standard lines, obviously flop dependant but I like Tanks defaults. I generally like check raising out of position because this is what I am going to do from time to time with complete air.

I'm not sure I'm too keen on called raises and squeezes with air only to check-raise bluff the flop. Do you find this +ev in the long run? Seems like unnecessarily risky to me and I would imagine you'd get caught with your pants way too often.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »

Example.

Full stacks at $1/2.

Flop =

(1) Two Diamonds
(2) three diamonds
(3)
(4)
(5) Two Diamonds

I'm not sure I'm too keen on called raises and squeezes with air only to check-raise bluff the flop. Do you find this +ev in the long run? Seems like unnecessarily risky to me and I would imagine you'd get caught with your pants way too often.

Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm not going out of my way to call bets with nothing preflop with the intention or check raising the flop and I am certainly not calling squeezes with rags for the same reason, that would be very spewy. What I mean is that from time to time, I will do this against habitual 3-bettors/c-bettors when I miss the flop out of position. I'm just balancing my overall check raising range here, rather than just my inducedsqueezepreflopcheckraisingrange (actual word you knows).

totalise

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »

Example.

Full stacks at $1/2.

Flop =

(1) Two Diamonds
(2) three diamonds
(3)
(4)
(5) Two Diamonds

the thing is, its similar to the reasons why you play suited connectors.. most people vastly over-estimate how profitable suited connectors are, they aren't the pit-of-money that is generally assumed, but the profit that you generate by playing these hands comes from the fact that when you DO have a big hand, you tend to get paid off a lot more, because they cant so easily pin you onto a certain range of hands.. ie, if you only have good hands when you c/r, you generally wont make much money from it, but when your overall range includes bluffs etc, then you are more likely to get paid off.... so your immediate profit wont be as high as you expect, but you will realise a greater profit when you have the board locked up. Thats not to say you should have a range weighted towards filth when you c/r, but you should defo have it in your arsenal.

As for the overall question, dunno, if you want a standard line, longys is good enough.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:34:12 AM »

imo

trapping squeezers = pointless nit poker. non-adjusting ftw.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: