blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  What to do here, heads up?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What to do here, heads up?  (Read 2181 times)
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »

Heads Up STT,

Still feeling this guy out, might have raised to 120 generally here but sometimes raise to 90 preflop.

Decide to bet a big hand strong, but then we get a bad/good card on the river.

Approx 850 back.  What's the best action here out of position?

***** Hand 1413570733 *****
15.00/30.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:37:11 PM
Holdem (Real /Tournament )
Seat 1: Noxi28 (1605.00)
Seat 2: Atkinator- (1395.00)
Noxi28 post SB 15.00
Atkinator- post BB 30.00
** Deal **
Noxi28 [N/A, N/A]
Atkinator- [, ]
*** Bet Round 1 ***
Noxi28 Call 30.00
Atkinator- Raise to 90.00
Noxi28 Call 90.00
*** Flop(Board): *** : [, , ]
*** Bet Round 2 ***
Atkinator- Bet 120.00
Noxi28 Call 120.00
*** Turn(Board): *** : [, , , Two Diamonds]
*** Bet Round 3 ***
Atkinator- Bet 360.00
Noxi28 Call 360.00
*** River(Board): *** : [, , , Two Diamonds, ]
*** Bet Round 4 ***
Atkinator- ............

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 09:28:34 PM »

you check/ he shoves....but atleast that way he can shove with a worse hand. You bet here..he calls, you're gumped.
All depends on whether you want to bluff here or not.

I do think this hand shows the importance of position when HU.

I hate this spot...and not too keen on the turn bet when you're still feeling this guy out...I probably check the turn.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:36:30 PM »

Check call, that way at least sometimes we get the rest in when he has worse, not a nice spot though.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 01:00:53 AM »

As Boldie said, I check call the turn.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 01:41:55 AM »

I generally check preflop to try and play a small pot out of position. As it's gone you've created a big pot out of position and landed in a horrible spot.

It's really hard to say what I'd do here. Does villian usually raise with an A? Assuming he does then I probably just check/call the river.

Blue text
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:46:39 AM »

I generally check preflop to try and play a small pot out of position. As it's gone you've created a big pot out of position and landed in a horrible spot.

It's really hard to say what I'd do here. Does villian usually raise with an A? Assuming he does then I probably just check/call the river.

If you aren't raising KJsuited oop in Heads Up STTs, I suggest you are not playing them optimally.

I don't have enough info to know if he raises an ace or not, but he has raised a couple of hands so I would suggest he might. I thought if he had the straight here, he was more likely to have the 9.

I hate this spot...and not too keen on the turn bet when you're still feeling this guy out

Maybe, but I think both plays are fine. Mix them up here perhaps check call half the time, bet half the time? It's more that the bet size is larger than perhaps it should have been. 1/2 the pot might have sufficed here and not created a "shove" situation on the river?

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »

If you aren't raising KJsuited oop in Heads Up STTs, I suggest you are not playing them optimally.

I don't have enough info to know if he raises an ace or not, but he has raised a couple of hands so I would suggest he might. I thought if he had the straight here, he was more likely to have the 9.

I hate this spot...and not too keen on the turn bet when you're still feeling this guy out

Maybe, but I think both plays are fine. Mix them up here perhaps check call half the time, bet half the time? It's more that the bet size is larger than perhaps it should have been. 1/2 the pot might have sufficed here and not created a "shove" situation on the river?

It's been a while since i pounded these but raising KJs oop used to be terrible, play in position nothing else and reap a ridic strike rate.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »

Note that I say generally, it depends on my opponent and how the game has been going, and the current blind level. But usually if the button is willing to let me see a free flop I'm happy to take the oppurtunity, and good luck to him putting me on a hand.

I find position in these things is so important that I strive to play almost all pots in position, with the actual cards being a minor consideration.

Blue text
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »

Note that I say generally, it depends on my opponent and how the game has been going, and the current blind level. But usually if the button is willing to let me see a free flop I'm happy to take the oppurtunity, and good luck to him putting me on a hand.

I find position in these things is so important that I strive to play almost all pots in position, with the actual cards being a minor consideration.

Yeah fair play, sorry didn't mean to critisise

That sounds like a good strategy, and it's def one I employ too...but I have a cut off line where I'll raise if they limp....something like 77+, AT+, KJ+ ... to me these hands are just too strong...although admitedly can create problems such as the one in this hand

Thanks for ya replies Smiley

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 02:33:07 PM »

It's been a while since i pounded these but raising KJs oop used to be terrible, play in position nothing else and reap a ridic strike rate.

It still is.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 02:42:11 PM »

Oops missed Flushy's reply.

I accept your opinions, but I personally disagree that it's as bad as you guys are suggesting.

Against weak players I have no problem raising up KJs. Maybe against good players I wouldn't raise here, but against your standard fish??

What's your opinion if a person limps and you have KQs, AJs or 99?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:45:27 PM by MC » Logged

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »

hate inflating the pot so big this shallow oop on the turn. as played id probs use one of those moronic blocking bets and hate my life.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 06:23:14 PM »

hate inflating the pot so big this shallow oop on the turn. as played id probs use one of those moronic blocking bets and hate my life.

Yeah, that sounds good to me...

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »

Still feeling this guy out, might have raised to 120 generally here but sometimes raise to 90 preflop.

this bit interests me. why would you make it 120 generally? surely way too big here

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »

What's your opinion if a person limps and you have KQs, AJs or 99?

Check.

If the guy is good then i might raise OOP but generally people are bad so you don't have to rely on hand values, you can just outplay them.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: