blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 11:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272977 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Bottom Set
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bottom Set  (Read 6926 times)
Lucky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »

You posted this before 7pm, so I'm guessing you were home early from Luton having pushed and run into a bigger set.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »

Hmm this is close but I don't see why fold can't be a real consideration here. Is he a decent nit? Played together before? Does he know your game?

Against a conservative villain at the 25-50 level when it's gone bet-raise-reraise in a limped pot I see him showing up with 66 or 33 here more often than a limp with AA or KK. I'm assuming he never limps utg with 45. Best case scenario is AA or KK.

One other consideration for me here is the structure of the tourney. If its really fast I felt here if not I think folding is ok.

its a slow comp

I disregarded 45

33,66 or an overpair for me..but he checks an overpair when checked to on the flop, after limping utg? I didn't think so

At the table I seriously considered a fold given this.

I agree that he probably leads with an overpair on this flop. I can't see an overpair going mad and if he knows you at all he wont be liking Aces at all in this spot. Looks like he's limped with 33 or 66 and hit the jackpot.

It's horrible folding a set on a board like this in live poker but his hand stinks of a monster here. FWIW I dont ever remember folding a set live.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but all I have to go on is the assumption that this guy is a decent tight old guy who has played the game a bit and therefore wont be donking off here with one pair, whether it be AA or 77. If he knows how tight you are makes even more of a case for folding

Really curious to know what Snoopy's decision would be.

FYP
Judging by the player description, it sounds as if he's unlikely to have anything but nuts, set or overpair. He didn't lead the flop, and the reraise is unusually small for a hand like aces or kings, so I'm not completely against releasing now. Otherwise, flat-call and reassess the turn, as you are in position. If you think his range includes a smaller over-pair, then there's a good chance he'll check.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 11:47:28 PM »

Tighty. What would you do with AA here?

The reason I ask is that your hand is only 1 higher in order of the nuts and I guess you'd be passing that. (Obviously pre flop play would probably be different but hopefully you get the drift of the question).

For me it's a shove now. I can't see the benefit of flatting to shove the turn. We're getting called on the turn by any hand that beats us and we may just possibly get a bigger set to pass now given our uber tight reputation.

A lot of people like the flat to shove the turn. Can someone please explain why this is better than shoving now?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 11:56:46 PM »

The reason I ask is that your hand is only 1 higher in order of the nuts and I guess you'd be passing that. (Obviously pre flop play would probably be different but hopefully you get the drift of the question).

For me it's a shove now. I can't see the benefit of flatting to shove the turn. We're getting called on the turn by any hand that beats us and we may just possibly get a bigger set to pass now given our uber tight reputation.

A lot of people like the flat to shove the turn. Can someone please explain why this is better than shoving now?

Tighty hasn't told us yet whether this guy is aware of his uber tightness but I think we're being overambitious to think we can make him lay down a set, whether he knows or not

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:01:30 AM »

would need to know villain. His line is ridic terrible and strong and my new years res was not to payoff nits. actually bah f'it fold, hes never gonna exlpoit that and i think you are losing far more than he has 33/66 or 45. It sickens me that v the 2 most likely hands you have no legit redraw as i assume hes not tex enough to limp 45. All those ppl thinking luton old timers play an overpair like this, they deffo DONT, his range here is probs like QQ+.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:14 AM »

villain is Laurence Kushner

He is deffo not limping 45 UTG

He might limp big pairs UTG but he is for sure not checking a 6 3 2 rainbow flop if checked to. Or 77+

So he can only have 33 or 66 surely?

I am not suggesting folding merely because I am apparently the most uber tight nit of all nits, but because it strikes me that this might be a rare occasion that its bleeding obvious its a fold, and I can't remember folding many flopped sets, live, ever

Of course versus donk or idiot its a shove or flat/shove fist pump it in, but assume a reasonable villain, which this is (not brilliant but not a donk) then to my mind its a strong case to fold

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:36 AM »

get it in on the flop ffs, wht else have you limped with 22? You know he doesn't have 45, and 66/33 is just as likely as 77+ here. If he has the set then so be it.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 12:34:27 AM »

get it in on the flop ffs, wht else have you limped with 22? You know he doesn't have 45, and 66/33 is just as likely as 77+ here. If he has the set then so be it.

but 66/33 is far more likely than 77+ after he checks the flop against five opponents, and then min check/re-raises surely?

Laurence isn't min re-raising 77+ after a bet and a raise post flop is he?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 01:18:46 AM »

Just because we've limped with deuces to hit a set it doesn't mean we have to stack off versus a guy who only plays 66 or 33 this way. No way he has a hand like 77 here.

Whether right or wrong glad I was the first one to buck the trend and say fold here.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 02:11:02 AM »

lol, i thought this thread was made to find out the best way of getting a stack in?

amirite?
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 02:11:40 AM »

villain is Laurence Kushner

He is deffo not limping 45 UTG

He might limp big pairs UTG but he is for sure not checking a 6 3 2 rainbow flop if checked to. Or 77+

So he can only have 33 or 66 surely?

I am not suggesting folding merely because I am apparently the most uber tight nit of all nits, but because it strikes me that this might be a rare occasion that its bleeding obvious its a fold, and I can't remember folding many flopped sets, live, ever

Of course versus donk or idiot its a shove or flat/shove fist pump it in, but assume a reasonable villain, which this is (not brilliant but not a donk) then to my mind its a strong case to fold

get it in, he would overvalue a tonne of hands on that board imo. id rather get it in now v him to stop lowcard peeling and him shut down.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 02:14:17 AM »

I think you're being influenced too much by the fact you know you've got a set. The aggro LAG bets 200 and you raise to 800. I like the 800 bet myself because it doesn't look like a set at all. Let's say you're the one sitting there with 7-7...would the action look any different to this? I really doubt it. You don't need a big hand to be raising the LAG on the button...and the 800 looks a little on the strong side for the strength of hand you have. So despite the action as you perceive it you don't actually look massive imo.

Now if you agree you look like 7-7 and not 2-2 then this opens up a much wider selection of hands that could be raising you. I don't agree A-A/K-K is unlikely. If villain hasn't seen a big pair in time and commits to a slowplay strat he could check the flop cos he has aggro man to his left. Maybe he notices aggro man reaching for chips...so a flop he ordinarily bets he checks on this occasion?

While I think you break down all the evidence well enough I think the aggro ingredient and the 800 bet give you enough justification to get your chips in here. Even without those elements it would be a very tough fold anyway. I really don't think UTG folds his hand so you may as well shovel them in right now. No shame in going out set over set ever imo.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 06:05:56 AM »

I think you're being influenced too much by the fact you know you've got a set. The aggro LAG bets 200 and you raise to 800. I like the 800 bet myself because it doesn't look like a set at all. Let's say you're the one sitting there with 7-7...would the action look any different to this? I really doubt it. You don't need a big hand to be raising the LAG on the button...and the 800 looks a little on the strong side for the strength of hand you have. So despite the action as you perceive it you don't actually look massive imo.

Now if you agree you look like 7-7 and not 2-2 then this opens up a much wider selection of hands that could be raising you. I don't agree A-A/K-K is unlikely. If villain hasn't seen a big pair in time and commits to a slowplay strat he could check the flop cos he has aggro man to his left. Maybe he notices aggro man reaching for chips...so a flop he ordinarily bets he checks on this occasion?

While I think you break down all the evidence well enough I think the aggro ingredient and the 800 bet give you enough justification to get your chips in here. Even without those elements it would be a very tough fold anyway. I really don't think UTG folds his hand so you may as well shovel them in right now. No shame in going out set over set ever imo.

I'm with Mantis on this one.

What do you think Villain thinks you have? Does he always put you on a set here? If so then you can fold it..if not and he can think you have an overpair...you have to get them in.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 06:32:56 AM »

No way.

Flatting the flop allows his range to open up a little.

ChipRich

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 06:40:05 AM »

I cudnt imagine poker if i had to fold sets & stuff. I do NOT want to be in THAT game.

Get it in, if ur beat move onto the next torn.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:43:59 AM by ChipRich » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: