blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 02:32:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273149 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Bank Charges D Day
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bank Charges D Day  (Read 19521 times)
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »

Wednesday 25 November 2009, 945 am, Supreme Court Decision.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/reclaim/2009/11/bank-charges-result-next-week

Hopefully this will force the banks to pay out and they won't drag it all through the courts in an Appeal. Or if that happens, the politicians will try to curry voter favour by forcing them to payout. All 3 big party leaders have posted replies to moneysavingexpert, Tories saying they would force banks to repay all charges automatically. Wiiiiii!

Surprisingly for such a good site they seem to talk about the new £12 charges like they're in some way legitimate, or rubber stamped by the FSO or OFT. The law says the charges have to be proportional to costs (of default). Costs the bank about £2.50 if you default. £12 is not £2.50.
Also, experts keep coming on TV saying you can claim back 6 years in England and 5 years in Scotland, which I believe is bullshit also. You're claiming via the FSO in the first instance, which is not constrained by these statuatory limitations, right?

Myself, waiting for £870 (credit card, complained to FSO), £400 bank (on hold, awaiting Wednesday's judgement).

Maybe a big pay day for most of us next week!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:15:47 PM by G1BTW » Logged
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:15:09 PM »

dont think banks should refund anything.

just my opinion obv...

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »

just my opinion obv...

cos I signed an agreement with them agreeing to the charges? Yer probably. But they are loaded and we are not. It was just greedy.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »

just my opinion obv...

cos I signed an agreement with them agreeing to the charges? Yer probably. But they are loaded and we are not. It was just greedy.

i see charges as a punishment otherwise people could abuse the facility, not as a way to pass on the actual cost of going overdrawn.

if you dont pay for parking you get a ticket, if you break the speed limit you are charged, if you go overdrawn past your agreed limit you are charged.

most banks let you off with one mistake, but people go overdrawn all the time and I think banks have the rigth to charge for it.

just my two cents...

Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »

What do I need to do to get bank charges refunded? I could be a millionaire after all!

HI HELEN!
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »

just my opinion obv...

i see charges as a punishment otherwise people could abuse the facility, not as a way to pass on the actual cost of going overdrawn.

if you dont pay for parking you get a ticket, if you break the speed limit you are charged, if you go overdrawn past your agreed limit you are charged.

most banks let you off with one mistake, but people go overdrawn all the time and I think banks have the rigth to charge for it.

just my two cents...

Two Questions :

Do you work for Natwest?

and

Have you been looking at my account?

HI HELEN!
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »

just my opinion obv...

just my two cents...

Pretty good point though. I disagree though. Not cos you're wrong but cos I want my money back lol.

If you break the speed limit/parking restriction there's a pretty good set of processes you can go through to argue your case, this doesn't really exist in such a way with banks, at the moment. Go 42p overdrawn, the bank goes £60 fine, pay it. 'But but'. 'Just pay it'. Maybe this is what the above case was seeking to protect people from. I don't know enough about it to go into it deeper though.

-------------------------

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19992083.htm

INDICATIVE AND NON-EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF TERMS WHICH MAY BE REGARDED AS UNFAIR

1. Terms which have the object or effect of-

(a) excluding or limiting the legal liability of a seller or supplier in the event of the death of a consumer or personal injury to the latter resulting from an act or omission of that seller or supplier;

(b) inappropriately excluding or limiting the legal rights of the consumer vis-à-vis the seller or supplier or another party in the event of total or partial non-performance or inadequate performance by the seller or supplier of any of the contractual obligations, including the option of offsetting a debt owed to the seller or supplier against any claim which the consumer may have against him;

(c) making an agreement binding on the consumer whereas provision of services by the seller or supplier is subject to a condition whose realisation depends on his own will alone;

(d) permitting the seller or supplier to retain sums paid by the consumer where the latter decides not to conclude or perform the contract, without providing for the consumer to receive compensation of an equivalent amount from the seller or supplier where the latter is the party cancelling the contract;

(e) requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation;

(f) authorising the seller or supplier to dissolve the contract on a discretionary basis where the same facility is not granted to the consumer, or permitting the seller or supplier to retain the sums paid for services not yet supplied by him where it is the seller or supplier himself who dissolves the contract;

(g) enabling the seller or supplier to terminate a contract of indeterminate duration without reasonable notice except where there are serious grounds for doing so;

(h) automatically extending a contract of fixed duration where the consumer does not indicate otherwise, when the deadline fixed for the consumer to express his desire not to extend the contract is unreasonably early;

(i) irrevocably binding the consumer to terms with which he had no real opportunity of becoming acquainted before the conclusion of the contract;

(j) enabling the seller or supplier to alter the terms of the contract unilaterally without a valid reason which is specified in the contract;

(k) enabling the seller or supplier to alter unilaterally without a valid reason any characteristics of the product or service to be provided;

(l) providing for the price of goods to be determined at the time of delivery or allowing a seller of goods or supplier of services to increase their price without in both cases giving the consumer the corresponding right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded;

(m) giving the seller or supplier the right to determine whether the goods or services supplied are in conformity with the contract, or giving him the exclusive right to interpret any term of the contract;

(n) limiting the seller's or supplier's obligation to respect commitments undertaken by his agents or making his commitments subject to compliance with a particular formality;

(o) obliging the consumer to fulfil all his obligations where the seller or supplier does not perform his;

(p) giving the seller or supplier the possibility of transferring his rights and obligations under the contract, where this may serve to reduce the guarantees for the consumer, without the latter's agreement;

(q) excluding or hindering the consumer's right to take legal action or exercise any other legal remedy, particularly by requiring the consumer to take disputes exclusively to arbitration not covered by legal provisions, unduly restricting the evidence available to him or imposing on him a burden of proof which, according to the applicable law, should lie with another party to the contract.
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 08:35:20 PM »

What do I need to do to get bank charges refunded? I could be a millionaire after all!

Well, I totted up my charges and it looked okish.

Then I used the site interest calculator at 8%. Holy crap!!!!!!! 8% on a 2001 £35 debt is a LOT!

Saw some guy who totted all his stuff up for his credit card then claimed it back from his bank, plus interest at 29%, the level on his credit card. And won! lmao.

You need to go to http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges and follow the excellent guides.

Bank charges repayments are on hold (pending above, etc) (unless you are in hardship)

Credit card charges are not.
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »

I get interest too? Zomg, hopefully the best result comes through for the bank charges, thanks.

HI HELEN!
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:40:56 PM »

totally agree about the 42p ones, but i know that these are rare and most proper banks let that ride.  obv you will come back with halifax/natwest etc, but as i say proper banks wont be stupid about pennies.

G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 08:42:46 PM »

totally agree about the 42p ones, but i know that these are rare and most proper banks let that ride.  obv you will come back with halifax/natwest etc, but as i say proper banks wont be stupid about pennies.

I'm with BOS, 'A friend for Life' Smiley Smiley

Thankfully they have seen the error of their ways and have simplified things for us dumbass customers with a £1/day overdraft rate.

42p overdrawn = £30/month. lol. wp wp
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 08:44:15 PM »

totally agree about the 42p ones, but i know that these are rare and most proper banks let that ride. 

HBOS won't let this ride. Do others let it ride?
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »

totally agree about the 42p ones, but i know that these are rare and most proper banks let that ride.  obv you will come back with halifax/natwest etc, but as i say proper banks wont be stupid about pennies.

I'm with BOS, 'A friend for Life' Smiley Smiley

Thankfully they have seen the error of their ways and have simplified things for us dumbass customers with a £1/day overdraft rate.

42p overdrawn = £30/month. lol. wp wp

yeah halifax are part of the group and have done the same thing.  cheaper to see a lonn shark at 1000% interst.

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »

totally agree about the 42p ones, but i know that these are rare and most proper banks let that ride.  

HBOS won't let this ride. Do others let it ride?

halifax are hbos 

henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 09:03:34 PM »

just my opinion obv...

just my two cents...

You do know that you can't go overdrawn without permission don't you ?

The bank either lets you go overdrawn or charges you to cause it.

If you have several accounts with one company the can use the power to offset (transfer money to cover defeicits). Funny how they don't when it means they can charge you but as soon as it looks like you are shutting down they suddenly remember how.

Contract law is a 2 way street. Funny how te banks use it when it suits them and ignore it when it doesn't.

Sandy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: