blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:58:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  January Transfers
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: January Transfers  (Read 17043 times)
seven2unsuited

josepebhoy

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2010, 12:25:40 AM »

oh and Hail Hail
Maxriddles

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2010, 12:25:55 AM »

A great bit of business for Celtic.

Really?

They sell their top scorer of the last two seasons on a permanent deal then spend £1.5m on a four month loan deal. Long term thinking FTW!!

I am not a Celtic fan and if I was I'd be happy to see a player of his quality at the club but I think it lacks long term vision and I also think they have made too many changes in the January window. They won't even be able to cash in on his name fully as there will be new strips for next season.

It's obviously not long term thinking (why else would Celtic pick up £50k plus per week?) but this is an excellent piece of business. As a 30 year old who is playing like an idiot he will devalue more than £1.5m in four months sat on the bench at Spurs and he knows this.

Good work from Harry too in getting himself some better money for a "proven goalscorer" in the summer.

It all depends on how he takes to the fans/city etc etc but right now I doubt this is something he'll be happy to do in the long run as a permanent move. This is more like Bellamy going there to get himself a good deal fruther down the line but I hope I'm wrong.

Probably short term thinking businesswise - BUT the long term thinking last season gave Rangers a lifeline we need to deny them this season. The renewed interest in Ireland and the renewed enthusiasm in the support will cover the costs of this - so in the short term it should be successful.

Also raises the profile of the club down south just as the reality of the financial crunch is biting, a bit more of a long term thing.

Rod, I agree with most of what you say here and it will boost all at the club, maybe not fortune or Samaras, but I think there have been too many changes in this window, it's unlikely the side will gel quickly enough to catch Rangers and they could drop some silly points while gaining an understanding. If Keane were brought in on top of what was already  there on December 31st then I'd agree it would be a good move, I just think it's an almost David Murray like sweetner for the fans to cover up the real state of things.

Maxriddles

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2010, 12:29:42 AM »

oh and Hail Hail

lol, like it.

Serious point about what u said about the rest of your striker, I really don't get what it is with Samaras, he really looks the part until he has a shot, does the hard bit then can't hit the target, that would tilt me big time.

seven2unsuited

josepebhoy

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2010, 12:33:09 AM »

oh and Hail Hail

lol, like it.

Serious point about what u said about the rest of your striker, I really don't get what it is with Samaras, he really looks the part until he has a shot, does the hard bit then can't hit the target, that would tilt me big time.

Ye, he looks like a total Muppet at times.  i like the guy buy probably only because most of you lot hate him,  like rangers with novo probably. All these signing might take long to gel, but we can't really play much worse than some of the performances this season.  Celtic need to win all games this month including at Ibrox, then the season will be interesting.
Maxriddles

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »

oh and Hail Hail

lol, like it.

Ye, he looks like a total Muppet at times.  i like the guy buy probably only because most of you lot hate him,  like rangers with novo probably. All these signing might take long to gel, but we can't really play much worse than some of the performances this season.  Celtic need to win all games this month including at Ibrox, then the season will be interesting.

No arguing with that post.

NHWP

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2010, 05:42:50 AM »

More importantly, Lee Miller has gone to Middlesbrough for 500k wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

Middlesbrough have been scammed, the guy isn't worth 50p

FYP

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »

Went into Celtic park last night, was amazing, there were about 2,500 fans.

We got there about 10pm, but met my mate from work and my cousin too, both had been at the ground since 7:30pm!!!!!!

We entertained ourselves with song that could be heard 5 miles away!

when Robbie came out to the fans around Midnight, the place went mental, couldn't really hear what he was saying, partly cos the Microphone he had was turned down too low and the crowd were going mental, the Green Bragade even had Green Flares with the FFS lol, i thought they were illegal?Huh?

I took a video with my phone but can't get in uploaded, i wish i could.

Anyway, press conference here:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47225000/jpg/_47225828_keaneceltic466.jpg

From the BBC website:

Celtic have confirmed the signing of Tottenham striker Robbie Keane on loan until the end of the season.

The 29-year-old Republic of Ireland international travelled to Glasgow on Monday evening, with thousands of fans gathering in wait outside Celtic Park.

Keane was delighted having been consistently linked with the club.

"The club is massive," he said. "I am a Celtic fan and did not have to ask much about it. I always wanted to play for Celtic and it works for all parties."

Celtic had already added Diomansy Kamara from Fulham on loan and Morten Rasmussen from Brondby during January to bolster their strike force.

And the Keane deal followed Australia international Scott McDonald's £3.5m transfer to Middlesbrough, which was completed minutes before the closure of the 1700 GMT deadline for incoming transfers in England.

Fellow striker Chris Killen had moved from Celtic to the Riverside earlier in the transfer window.

Keane, a lifelong Celtic fan, has made 25 appearances for Spurs this season but has recently been confined to the substitutes' bench.

But he said: "I did not want to come here when I was 34 and struggling.

"I still feel I am in my prime and hope I can help the club."

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp gave his blessing to the switch by the Republic international team's captain and all-time top scorer with 41 goals in almost 100 games.

"He is a Celtic man so it's a dream come true for him," he said.

"Robbie needs to play. He's too good a player not to be starting here regularly. He wants to play all the time.

"It's been difficult to guarantee Robbie a starting place at the moment.

"He's not a happy man when he's not playing regularly, but he loves his football; he's a great trainer, a great man about the place.

"Crouch has been in good form with Defoe and I have Roman Pavlyuchenko and brought in Eidur Gudjohnsen."

Keane signed for Spurs in 2002, making almost 200 appearances and scoring 80 goals, before joining Liverpool for around £20m in July 2008.

However, he went on to make only 15 appearances for the Anfield side and rejoined Spurs in February 2009 for £12m, taking his cumulative transfer fees to more than £70m.

His previous clubs include Wolves, Coventry, Inter Milan and Leeds.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell said: "We've been pretty persistent in the last few windows in terms of keeping in touch with what he was wanting to do.

"Thankfully, today, we were able to do a deal.

"We've known for a while that Robbie is a Celtic supporter and he's a great connection with the club and our supporters.

"Up until today, things were not looking very great at all. Things changed this afternoon and were able to put a deal in very quickly.

"His situation at Spurs was made, I think, pretty plain to him. He always knew we were very, very keen to get him."

Lawwell said there was no specific option to make the move permanent but did not rule out doing just that in the summer.

"What we find is that players that come to Celtic very rarely want to leave," he said.

Lawwell refused to reveal how Keane's salary - reportedly in the region of £65,000 a week - would be paid and denied his signing was merely a ploy to appease disgruntled supporters.

"We're in a transitional period at the moment," he said. "Tony probably wasn't blessed with the strongest squad we've had here when he arrived.

"We were always looking to bring in quality, our supporters do deserve the best and that's what we do at Celtic."

Celtic had also been negotiating with Real Mallorca in an attempt to sign defender Ivan Ramis, but the Glasgow club said that the signing of Keane would be their last of the January transfer window.

However, Mowbray still managed to secure eight signings - with 10 players departing - as Celtic look to overturn Rangers' 10-point lead at the top of the table.

You F***ing Beauty!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:46:20 AM by Scottish Dave » Logged

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »

lol, how many 'dream moves' can one guy make?!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2010, 11:59:44 AM »

He just made it, if you were part of the Celtic family (which i wish you and everyone could experience) you would know bud.

Its like me, id love to play for Liverpool or Leeds, but my DREAM move would be Celtic, and id never leave not even for Terry's wages!

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »

he doesnt look happy to me
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »

he doesnt look happy to me

He would probably be fearing for his life at that moment TBF lol

I think he was totally taken aback at the welcome he got!

TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »

He just made it, if you were part of the Celtic family (which i wish you and everyone could experience) you would know bud.

Its like me, id love to play for Liverpool or Leeds, but my DREAM move would be Celtic, and id never leave not even for Terry's wages!

Suppose its ok to support several clubs, keep your options open like...

Keane after signing for Liverpool...

"I will never forget them (Spurs fans). I would specifically like to thank chairman Daniel Levy for understanding, that, as a fan, joining Liverpool is a lifelong dream of mine and one I couldn't let pass me by.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »

you'd have thought someone would've warned him that his new club was in glasgow before he signed

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
roscopiko

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »

Celtic Fans: "There's only one Keano"

[ ] There sure is

shit @ poker since 1998
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2010, 12:14:28 PM »

you'd have thought someone would've warned him that his new club was in glasgow before he signed

Whats wrong with Britain's 'City of Agriculture and Design 2004'

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: