blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:07:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272633 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laxie through the Looking Glass
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 127 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie through the Looking Glass  (Read 177964 times)
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 04, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »

It was a bank holiday in Ireland this past week-end.  I really should leave the country during bank holidays.  Seriously.  They never end well.  To be fair, a great time was had.  But I am currently injured.  Everywhere.  I blame Bridget and for a change, she's not blaming me.   

Friday was tame enough.  In fact, even Saturday was tame.  Stayed home watching movies with the girls and chowing on popcorn.  Bridget landed after the APAT omaha event Saturday night and we took over the remote for a 'Chick Flick' night.  Brian was gone out with friends and Timothy was outnumbered.  He mumbled a few things as he went to the kitchen to get us some wine, but he never attempted to take back the remote.  He knows when he's beat. 

The plan on Sunday was to watch the rugby in the pub, then back home for some yard work and a barbecue.  It was a good plan and I was really looking forward to getting the few jobs done.  But then things took a wee turn...as they do. 

After the rugby a group of us ended up in a mini bus heading for Killarney.  We said we'd watch the Cork Hurling match at 7:00, then head back to our own village around 9:30.  Only, once the match was over everyone was in rare form and showing no signs of heading back.  To make matters worse, Bridget and a few more took their own taxi out to meet up with us so we couldn't head back home just yet as it wasn't fair on the late arrivals.  That's about the time things got messy.   

I've an old injury from a couple months back on my right ankle.  Been wearing an ankle brace with the past week as it was acting up.  But I was also wearing heels.  That sure was a good idea.  We were rushing to catch up with the gang when myself and a street curb had a bit of a falling out.   Managed to take out my left knee and my phone in the carnage.  Marv. 

At this point Bridget had already made her way into our next port of call, but she came back out when she realised we weren't behind her.  Injured badly, I was being carried to the club.  Only we were met by a bouncer who was obviously having a bad day.  No way was he letting us in if one of us was so bad they had to be carried.  I was calmly explaining the fall and just as I was showing him the ankle brace, Bridget decided to go mental.  She didn't realise I was getting us in, but when she's cross there's no stopping her.  Sigh.  That poor bouncer was called every name under the sun.  At that point, the rest of us were allowed in, but no way was she being left.  That's about the time the guards showed up. 

Well, it was only 1 guard to start with.  Bridget was still letting fly to anyone who would listen when the guard suggested she find a different place to hang out.  There I was, being held up by a couple of friends, trying to calm Bridget down and apologising to the guard for her behaviour when Bridget came out with a corker that was sure to see her in heaps of trouble.  'And you wonder why people call the guards pigs?!'  Sigh.  Well done Bridget, well done.

As she was pulled to one side and he brought out his book, the rest of us had a wee chat.  Would we follow her to the station and bail her out, or let her sit there for the night?  We decided she'd gone way over the top this time and we'd let her sit it out in the station for the night.  She needed to learn a lesson as she'd stepped miles over the line.  That's about the time this woman who had been sitting in a doorway, stood up and screamed at the top of her voice, 'I DON'T KNOW WHERE I AM!!!!' over and over.  Out of nowhere, a half a dozen guards stormed on the the scene to this other woman...and Bridget was forgotten about. 

We managed to get through the rest of the night without a hassle and arrived home around 4:30am.  Not quite the 9:30 we'd planned on, but there ya go.  I woke up yesterday to an unreal sharp pain in my knee after the night's gymnastics.  Was just about hobbling around the house when Bridget landed. 

'Will we go for the cure?  There's a good few out.'  Sigh. 

'Go on then.  But we're only having one or two!' 

That was around noon yesterday.  We got home at 11pm.  What masochist came up with the term, 'the cure'?  I'm deffo not cured of anything...and still need to replace my phone. 

Any suggestions for a good phone? 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
The_duke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: May 04, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »

Might last a wee bit longer on jaunts into Killarney.. FFS will you ever learn

A great many people believe they are thinking, when in fact they are just rearranging their prejudices
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 04, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »

Last time I went to Killarney for a proper day/night of it was this time last year - and you were with us FFS!  Don't worry...will be the bones of another year before I'm seen around that town again.  Proberly.

Spent the afternoon researching phones and have decided on the HTC Desire.  Has great reviews and isn't as bulky as my broken N95.  Off to the shop tomorrow to pick it up.

Was really missing my phone today when Cassie and Lily got into the mother of all play fights.  They were wrestling mad and having a really great time.  Was good fun to watch too and I'd have loved to video it.  They really do get on well and they both read me like a book.  Normally we have a run around the house playing 'tag' but they knew today wasn't a good day for that.  Sarah gave them a good run when she landed home from school and they've been thrown down since.  One so young and the other so old, yet they work together perfectly.  Couldn't ask for more.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
The_duke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: May 05, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »

Last time I went to Killarney for a proper day/night of it was this time last year - and you were with us FFS! 

I assure you that day has been scoured from my memory LOL

A great many people believe they are thinking, when in fact they are just rearranging their prejudices
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2010, 12:52:05 AM »

Can't sleep again.  Marv.  Don't know what to do about it, but been tossing and turning nearly every night with AGES!!!  Just tucking in to a warm mug of milk and said I'd give a wee update while I'm waiting (hoping) for it to kick in.

Well, the phone issues are nearly sorted and I'll be back to taking pictures in no time.  Always wondered why that second wee debit was coming out of my account each month from the Carphone Warehouse, but wasn't losing sleep over it.  Just figured it was for Timothy's second phone.  Wonder no more.  Turns out I had insurance on the N95. 

They don't reckon it's worth fixing so I'm getting a brand new phone out of the deal at no extra cost to me.  The only beat - I must take something similar to what I had.  They mentioned the N97.  Not what I was hoping for, but even that has a silver lining.  Brian needs a new phone as his screen cracked a few months ago.  So he's taking the N97 and I can still get the upgrade owed to me for being on a yearly contract.  Roll on the HTC I was after.  Win win all around. 

Meanwhile on the dog front, I've some great news on two counts.  Cassie had a few thinning patches around the place when she first got here.  Mostly on her leg joints, tail and backside.  Mike suggested I buy a different dog food.  He reckoned the baldy patches were caused by the high protein content in their food so we switched it a couple of weeks ago.  They weren't too thrilled about the new food at the start, but got use to it in no time.  And now her hair is growing back! 

As for Lily?  Since we've sorted their new routine of walks and runs, she's not limping!  Still waiting on the collar from the posh vet in Killarney.  Should have just ordered it online.  Sigh.  But never mind.  It'll get here eventually and in the meantime, we have the pair of them sorted. 

Even got to play a light game of 'tag' around the kitchen today since my knee wasn't hurting near as bad as it had been.  All in all a good day in the Dineen camp.  Hope you lot had a good day too.  xx

The_duke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2010, 08:17:10 AM »

He reckoned the baldy patches were caused by the high protein content in their food so we switched it a couple of weeks ago

Tried it on Tomothy yet 

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 06, 2010, 08:53:42 AM »

He reckoned the baldy patches were caused by the high protein content in their food so we switched it a couple of weeks ago

Tried it on Tomothy yet 

Somehow doubt I'd get that one through.  Could be wrong.  But if I were a gambling girl...............

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 12, 2010, 01:18:16 AM »

Still not got the new phone.  Apparently they're in high demand and the shop hasn't received it's next batch of them yet.  Usually it's my kids looking for that something 'hard to get'.  I don't get caught up in hype of the latest trends.  Just liked the damn phone.  And so does everyone else as it turns out.   Marv.

Ah well, just means I've no pics for the time being as Sarah's camera went busto too a couple of weeks back.  But we'll get there in the end with more pictures soon enough.  

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »

Meanwhile.......Brian wants to learn how to drive.  And he wants me to teach him.  This should be fun. 

In American schools they have driver's ed classes.  It's an optional part of the school curriculum, but just about everyone takes the class.  You sign up to it once you reach 15 years of age, get a learner's permit 6 months after that and all going well, have a full license by the time you reach 16.  Wish it was as easy as that over here.  Granted, my own experience wasn't quite that hassle free.

At some point between getting my learner's permit and before I actually had a clue how to drive, my Mom booked her car into the local garage for a service.  We'd an early 80's Chevy Citation as back up, so she planned to bop around in that while they sorted her own car out.  Only she needed someone to follow her to the garage with the Chevy.  Enter Laxie.  She reckoned with all those lessons on a simulator machine, surely I could manage it.  I'd spent ages begging her to take me out for real live lessons, but she never had time.  Today was to be my first outing...alone.

"But MOM!  I don't even have a license and haven't driven a real car yet!"

"You'll be fine.  It's only down the road.  Just follow me and be careful."

Famous last words...

I reversed out of the driveway and out onto the the road.  Only I got the brake and the gas pedals mixed up in the panic of driving for the first time.  With an almighty bang I reversed right into the city's lamp post that was at the edge of our front yard.  Sigh.  This was NOT going well...and we hadn't even left the yard yet. 

She got out to survey the damage.  I stayed put in the car until I could catch a glimpse of the look on her face in the rear view mirror.  Pretty sure I wouldn't be killed, I decided to check it out for myself.  Luckily Chevy's were made like brick houses.  Only a bare dent in the bumper, but apart from that you'd never know.  Never thought to check out the lamp post, but I'd bet it got the raw end of the deal.

"Right.  I don't know what just happened, but you're out of the driveway now.  Do you think you can manage the few minutes down the road without crashing into anything else?"

"You mean you seriously still want me to attempt it?!"

"No, but I've no choice.  Just try to be more careful."

Managed to get to the garage without crashing into anything else along the way, but was absolutely terrified all the way there.  As a result of the day's events, my Mom decided I needed real live driving lessons...fast.  She gave it a go a few times, but even today she's a very nervous passenger.  I don't suppose my penchant for lamp posts helped to curb her nervousness, so in the end we had to call it quits.  Enter Sr. Marie.   

I've mentioned Sr. Marie before.  She's the nun who took us in when my Mom was trying to get on her feet.  Well, she taught a lot of subjects in school.  One of which was driver's ed.  My Mom phoned her and Sr. Marie booked the very next Sunday with me.  I was to be ready at 7am.  7am?!  On a Sunday?!  Oh ffs.

There was method to her madness.  She carried me off to the local shopping mall.  At 7am on a Sunday the place is one huge deserted car park.  At least nobody would get hurt during my lessons...all going well.

She pulled up to the curb next to the mall.  Once we swapped seats the fun began. 

"Put the car into reverse and follow the edge of the curb around the mall."

"In REVERSE?!  Think I've already shown that's not my strong point."

"That's why we're here.  Any fool can drive forward.  Only a proper driver can drive in reverse.  We will keep doing this until you have every inch of this mall covered without errors."

Took 3 or 4 Sundays before I was left drive forward, but we got there in the end.  And ya know what?  To this day, that lamp post is the only thing I've ever hit...knock on wood. 

Pity there aren't any big malls where we live now.  Luckily we have a football field with a big enough car park.  Even better?  We won't be getting up at 7am for the lessons.  Wish us luck.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2010, 02:35:06 AM »

On the dog front, we're ticking away nicely.  I REALLY wish I had a working camera because Cassie has started this new thing.  Well, it's not so new to me, but I was the only one she did it with at the start.  Now the whole family gets it when they walk into the room.  And so does everyone else. 

Lily has always been pretty outgoing.  Doesn't matter who it is.  Man, woman or child...anyone who walks into the house is enthusiastically greeted in hopes of a rub.  It took Cassie a while, but she's started to join in the fun.  Only she has this cheeky grin and shows her teeth as she doing it.  She almost looks like she's about to growl or bite if you didn't know better, but I've seen it so often I know it's just her smile. 

Before she would curl up next to me and I'd give her a rub while chatting away to visitors.  I suppose with all the comings and goings of so many people through this house, she was bound to get used to it eventually.  I'm just delighted everyone else gets to see that cheeky grin now too.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 12, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »

Teen age girls, their clothes and cat fights.  OMFG!!!!!!!!!!  FIND ME A BRIDGE!!!   

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 12, 2010, 08:37:20 PM »

Teen age girls, their clothes and cat fights.  OMFG!!!!!!!!!!  FIND ME A BRIDGE!!!   

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

So glad I didnt have to deal with this!
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: May 15, 2010, 10:24:31 AM »

Dawn, have you ever had a sleepwalking dog ?

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 15, 2010, 10:36:36 AM »

Dawn, have you ever had a sleepwalking dog ?

LOL

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 15, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »

LOL - Very good!

Cassie and Lily both do it actually.  Not to that extreme (thankfully  lol), but the paws get moving, tails start wagging and they even do a wee bit of barking in their sleep.  It's really funny to watch too.  Always wondered what's going through their minds when they dream.  But do know...they definitely dream. 

Will have the new phone in the next day or two (just gave them an earful) so will be sure to video it next time one of them is at it.  Cassie does it the most and nearly every day, so won't take long to capture. 

Another thing I must video is their reaction when the 'w' word is used in this house.  When we're getting ready to take them out we ask them, 'Wanna go walkies?'  No need to wait for an answer...they go mental!  In fact, if one of them happens to be upstairs when the 'w' word is said, brace yerself for some serious tearing down the stairs.  Got to the point where we have to spell out that particular word because if they hear 'walk', we're stuffed til we take them out.  lol 

Picking up the leads is another good way to get them worked up, but they're easily settled down as long as you don't use the 'w' word.  God help The Duke.  Not sure why, but I've a feeling that information will be used for his amusement next time he's here...and I'll be forced to hurt the man!  Granted, I'll need the assistance of my girls.   

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 127 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: