blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:11:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272683 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laxie through the Looking Glass
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 ... 127 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie through the Looking Glass  (Read 178956 times)
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: November 27, 2010, 06:04:21 PM »

yeah pretty sure it's up to the airlines, and being a US citizen shouldn't really make a difference.  I remember an american friend of mine and I travelled to Ireland from London when the airlines were a bit less picky about ID and he got over and back no problem just on his driving licence as he forgot to bring his passport.

I'm pretty sure that free movement within the EU applies to EU citizens and not EU inhabitants, (and the UK has some different rules to most of the EU as well).

I think the most accurate summation is that UK and Irish citizens can travel between the two countries with only an ID, but the ID that it's most sensible to use is a passport anyway.

he wasn't an EU inhabitant, he was visiting from the US for a few weeks.  this was a fair while ago.

Was it pre or post 9/11?  A lot of things changed after that.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 27, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »

yeah pretty sure it's up to the airlines, and being a US citizen shouldn't really make a difference.  I remember an american friend of mine and I travelled to Ireland from London when the airlines were a bit less picky about ID and he got over and back no problem just on his driving licence as he forgot to bring his passport.

I'm pretty sure that free movement within the EU applies to EU citizens and not EU inhabitants, (and the UK has some different rules to most of the EU as well).

I think the most accurate summation is that UK and Irish citizens can travel between the two countries with only an ID, but the ID that it's most sensible to use is a passport anyway.

he wasn't an EU inhabitant, he was visiting from the US for a few weeks.  this was a fair while ago.

Was it pre or post 9/11?  A lot of things changed after that.

couple of months before - that's probably the big difference

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 28, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »

Rant alert. 

Was watching X-Factor last night with the kids when Matt came on and sang Joan Jett's 'I Love Rock and Roll'.  WTF were they thinking having a Lad sing that song?!  Geeez Louise!!!  It was just sooooooooo wrong to watch. 

Was still bugging me this afternoon and the kids were getting a giggle at my constant rant over it.  Then it transpired they'd never heard the original.  What?  WHAT?!  OMG!  No child of mine is going through life having never heard that song.  With that I ran to the computer and abso BLASTED this..............

There were other kids from the neighbourhood over too and between the lot of us there was dancing and rocking all over the downstairs.  And now they understand.  Phew.  That was a close call, that...so it was.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: December 06, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »

incred overrated version of that song, the original.

this is the best version, by a country mile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVmXV1vmiOE

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 07, 2010, 02:54:22 AM »

incred overrated version of that song, the original.

this is the best version, by a country mile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVmXV1vmiOE

Please wear a hat next time yer digging yer car out of the snow.  Think all that cold has done a bit of damage and Mrs. Boldie has enough to be dealing with.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 07, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »

Ice and the Ransom Note -

While you lot have been blasted with snow we only seem to be getting ice.  Not lots of it.  Just enough to leave a layer on the roads making it difficult (sometimes impossible) to drive anywhere.  Granted, living high up doesn't help the situation. 

There's a wee window around 2pm some days where it's thawed just enough to make the mad dash down the hill with reasonable safety.  Once you get to the main roads in the next village over it's not bad at all.  The trick is to hurry and get all of your shopping or whatever out of the way and be parked up at home again no later than 6pm.  Fail this and yer likely to fail getting up the hill as the freeze has set in again.

As a result the school bus hasn't run since last Thursday.  Friday and Monday I left the girls stay home.  SinĂ©ad got a mad fit of baking the last couple of days and made two batches of brownies.  I spent the few days making sure our neighbour's paths were salted.  And Sarah was in charge of dog walks.  Apart from that we spent the few days just chilling by the fire and basically did a lot of not much.

This morning the bus driver was really taking the piss as the roads weren't bad.  In the end their dad carried them to school and took a couple of the neighbours as well.  They got there safe and sound without a hassle.

Meanwhile I decided the house needed a tidying after the few days hiatus.  Went about hoovering the downstairs when I spotted them.  Three brownies.  They were staring up teasing me.  That's when I was hit with a dilemma. 

I really shouldn't touch them as I'd more than enough over the past few days.  Diet well and truly out the window.  But we couldn't have three brownies sat there when the girls landed home from school either.  There'd be war over who got the spare.  What to do?

I ignored the brownies' stare and carried on with my cleaning.  I'd come back to them later.  About the time I'd finished mopping downstairs the ol' back was starting to act up again.  Had a look at the stairs and they really needed a going over too.  So did the upstairs hallway.  But there was no way I'd manage it without crippling meself for the next few days.  Never mind...I'll get the dinner done instead.

Back to the kitchen where the dreaded brownies sat.  Damn things.  Why did they have to taste so good?  No.  Must resist.  Still have the problem of a spare though.  Sigh.  That's when the light bulb clicked on.  I gathered them from their baking tray and hid them on a wee plate in a location I can't disclose (for fear Sarah might read this).  I then left a ransom note in the baking tray where the brownies once sat which read,

"Hoover the stairs and the upstairs hallway or the brownies get it!!! 

PS  Please and thank you.  xx"

And what about the spare?  Well, if they don't kick up a fuss about the ransom note, I'll split the spare evenly between them.  And me rear end will thank me for it. 

If they get cranky it could go either way...depending on how much hassle they throw at me.  If they reluctantly hoover they'll each get one and I'll have no choice but to clear the other.  If they REALLY kick up I'll more than likely eat the lot when they're not looking.  That'll learn 'em. 

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 07, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »

In the end their dad carried them to school and took a couple of the neighbours as well.

wtf? has he been exposed to radiation?

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 07, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »

In the end their dad carried them to school and took a couple of the neighbours as well.

wtf? has he been exposed to radiation?

How do ya mean?  The roads were grand.  The bus driver just got used to not driving and decided to have another lie in for himself.  Reckon he got a call from the school though, because he was there in the afternoon to collect everyone.

rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #818 on: December 07, 2010, 06:47:03 PM »

I think he wondered how a man can carry 4 kids to school. Deliberate misinterpretation of the Irish-Americanism "carry" for amusing effect Smiley.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 07, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »

Deliberate misinterpretation of the Irish-Americanism "carry" for amusing effect Smiley.

not really, I have no idea what it means so pretty tricky to deliberately misinterpret

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 07, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »

oh, and I didn't think he's carried 4. though it was 2 shifts of 2

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 07, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »

Ahhhhhhhhh, no he didn't physically carry them as such.  Carried = drove

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 07, 2010, 07:01:03 PM »

have to say I'm quite disappointed. I've always thought this thread was lacking a superhero

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 07, 2010, 07:05:28 PM »

have to say I'm quite disappointed. I've always thought this thread was lacking a superhero

Shhhhhhhh - thought we weren't suppose to mention me invisible cape ffs!

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: December 07, 2010, 07:10:39 PM »

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 ... 127 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: