blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Best In The Business
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 455 456 [457] 458 459 460 461 ... 599 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best In The Business  (Read 1425976 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #6840 on: June 20, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »

feel a bit bad for Brad, he works his socks off to win manager of the year & all you lot come on here giving him stick because he got the to prize over one of our friends.  This place is so full of cliques & i'm sick of it.

Well done Brad, you deserved it.

There's lots of things you don't know about Brad mate. For eg he wears an actual cowboy hat to work. Not sure if that changes your opinion but it should. He is an excruciating brown nose as well. Also he goes hunting and kills rabbits to eat for his dinner. These are all things you need to consider before deciding how deserving he is.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6841 on: June 20, 2015, 10:35:14 PM »

feel a bit bad for Brad, he works his socks off to win manager of the year & all you lot come on here giving him stick because he got the to prize over one of our friends.  This place is so full of cliques & i'm sick of it.

There's lots of things you don't know about Brad mate. For eg he wears an actual cowboy hat to work. Not sure if that changes your opinion but it should. He is an excruciating brown nose as well. Also he goes hunting and kills rabbits to eat for his dinner. These are all things you need to consider before deciding how deserving he is.

Nothing wrong with killing rabbits to eat for your dinner. He's still a tosser though.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: June 20, 2015, 10:35:26 PM »

Go Brad.

Deserving winner, IMO.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: June 20, 2015, 10:39:36 PM »

Nothing wrong with killing rabbits to eat for your dinner. He's still a tosser though.

Mate, when you apply camouflage paint to your face to do it there's something very wrong!

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: June 20, 2015, 10:42:28 PM »

Go Brad.

Deserving winner, IMO.

Would be nice for you to be a deserving winner one day
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:44:30 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6845 on: June 20, 2015, 11:10:11 PM »

Mate, when you apply camouflage paint to your face to do it there's something very wrong!

Haha.

Actually, it's not funny. Tell me your kidding.

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: June 20, 2015, 11:42:18 PM »

Cowboy Hat +1
Brown Nose +1
Camouflage rabbit hunting -1

Although you're my favourite poster on blonde Brad is my fave manager

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: June 21, 2015, 12:02:00 AM »

I've been on the rail of this diary for the last week or so and seen so many of the posts and identified with the emotion.  I've never played a £10k, but I have played comps where I felt I was one of the best players, I have had those moments where I've said something out loud that I either believe or would like to believe and honesty is something that is often brutal.

I have known Patrick for a few years now and think we both have a similar love for the game that sometimes transcends the numbers, I'm not sure if either of us care about winning £1million,  I'm fairly certain we would rather see an article about how good we are thought to be circulated worldwide instead. 

I had Timoshenko on my monster stack table this year, granted I was fortunate enough to have a big chip advantage and position,  but when he sat down the rest of the table all hushed and ran back into their rabbit holes. I refused.
This was one of the few times I've been sat on a poker table with a geninely world class player - so I said "Im avin that!".  I only managed to play a few hands with him before he got his chips in good and got unlucky in a flip.  But I did step up, I did play well, and I used my two advantages to batter a world class player out of half of his stack. That alone gave me such confidence that I played some of the best tournament poker I have ever done so.  Unfortunately for me, I tried a little too hard and positive tilt hurt me on day 2 when I made a Bluff I didn't need to.

My point in all this is that I geninely feel like I have a huge mental edge over the people at the same level of skill in poker as myself.  My view, my opinion.
I've seen it translate into my other main hobby, tennis.... I now have such a strong mental game in tennis that where before trailing all set would eventually break me, this year I've won a whole host of matches for myself and my club that I would have been incapable of doing so only 18 months ago.

The above doesn't mean I think I'm better at poker than everyone, I'm aware I'm not, but I also know that I am learning and have highlighted some key development areas.  Acknowledging all of this still leaves me with the occasional thought of "what if I never played poker/ what if I left at x of clock".  They're both negative and unhelpful thoughts, they are part of the still existing weaknesses in my mental game, however overall I'm still stronger than I was, I'm still improving.

Shocker, I've managed to ramble.......

I agree with Mantis' post and reading about the weather and Brad actually made me feel a bit sick in my own mouth.  Unlucky fella.

I agree these negative thoughts or weaknesses in Patrick's mental game are things that need to be worked on, I also truly believe having an entire 'life and friends that coexists with poker but doesn't rely on it' is key also. 

One of the biggest things that I think will help Patrick is his own realisation that he has a different value system to other professionals -
A might consider winning 10 tournaments a year out of 100 played a hugely successful year
b might consider winning £500k net profit a year being successful
c might think being top of GPI is the ultimate achievement
D might think that making £70k a year and being the most talked about or written about/interviewed player is about successful year.

Occasionally these things will interlock, but all of them targeted individually require a different strategy.

Rant over.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6848 on: June 21, 2015, 12:28:41 AM »

I have known Patrick for a few years now and think we both have a similar love for the game that sometimes transcends the numbers, I'm not sure if either of us care about winning £1million,  I'm fairly certain we would rather see an article about how good we are thought to be circulated worldwide instead. 

Total egotistical madness if true, but if the situation ever arose I think you, (or anyone else not already wealthy) would realise that they are talking bollocks and take the money.

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: June 21, 2015, 12:33:40 AM »

I've been on the rail of this diary for the last week or so and seen so many of the posts and identified with the emotion.  I've never played a £10k, but I have played comps where I felt I was one of the best players, I have had those moments where I've said something out loud that I either believe or would like to believe and honesty is something that is often brutal.

I had Timoshenko on my monster stack table this year, granted I was fortunate enough to have a big chip advantage and position,  but when he sat down the rest of the table all hushed and ran back into their rabbit holes. I refused.
This was one of the few times I've been sat on a poker table with a geninely world class player - so I said "Im avin that!".  I only managed to play a few hands with him before he got his chips in good and got unlucky in a flip.  But I did step up, I did play well, and I used my two advantages to batter a world class player out of half of his stack. That alone gave me such confidence that I played some of the best tournament poker I have ever done so.  Unfortunately for me, I tried a little too hard and positive tilt hurt me on day 2 when I made a Bluff I didn't need to.

My point in all this is that I geninely feel like I have a huge mental edge over the people at the same level of skill in poker as myself.  My view, my opinion.
I've seen it translate into my other main hobby, tennis.... I now have such a strong mental game in tennis that where before trailing all set would eventually break me, this year I've won a whole host of matches for myself and my club that I would have been incapable of doing so only 18 months ago.

The above doesn't mean I think I'm better at poker than everyone, I'm aware I'm not, but I also know that I am learning and have highlighted some key development areas.  Acknowledging all of this still leaves me with the occasional thought of "what if I never played poker/ what if I left at x of clock".  They're both negative and unhelpful thoughts, they are part of the still existing weaknesses in my mental game, however overall I'm still stronger than I was, I'm still improving.

Shocker, I've managed to ramble.......

I agree with Mantis' post and reading about the weather and Brad actually made me feel a bit sick in my own mouth.  Unlucky fella.

I agree these negative thoughts or weaknesses in Patrick's mental game are things that need to be worked on, I also truly believe having an entire 'life and friends that coexists with poker but doesn't rely on it' is key also. 

One of the biggest things that I think will help Patrick is his own realisation that he has a different value system to other professionals -
A might consider winning 10 tournaments a year out of 100 played a hugely successful year
b might consider winning £500k net profit a year being successful
c might think being top of GPI is the ultimate achievement
D might think that making £70k a year and being the most talked about or written about/interviewed player is about successful year.

Occasionally these things will interlock, but all of them targeted individually require a different strategy.

Rant over.

tl;dr

brad or mantis?

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: June 21, 2015, 12:58:17 AM »

Heart says Mantis, head says Brad. 

Mantis may have all the talk and the fancy moves, but if you don't play in the right games you aren't going to be nearly as profitable. 

In this case, the right game was in Florida. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: June 21, 2015, 01:16:45 AM »

Total egotistical madness if true, but if the situation ever arose I think you, (or anyone else not already wealthy) would realise that they are talking bollocks and take the money.

im with Tom, give me the money and call me a c**t

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: June 21, 2015, 01:47:50 AM »

im with Tom, give me the money and call me a c**t

I get why you think I am mad... its just another example of differing value systems.  If I literally had to make the choice - £1 million or a worldwide article discussing how good I am from someone I idolise like Galfond or something then I think it would be super tough to ever not take the money because of my personal situation.

Make that number either smaller or less relevant to my personal situation I.E. I have 10mil in the bank or make the number £50k.... and I'd choose the article every single time.

People have different value systems, if it doesn't agree with yours then that's ok.  I don't however expect insults because of it.

Something I've heard a few poker players (all much better than i) say which shocked me the first time but hasn't since.... "money is only money, you can always earn more..."

MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: June 21, 2015, 01:49:10 AM »

Seriously though we need to set up some kind of ethics committee here. How can wearing a cowboy hat to work in the state of Florida be +1? or dressing as Rambo to hunt rabbits be +1? Nah lads this is stupid. Did I mention he will only wear Wrangler jeans? Did I mention he got his staff line dancing to Achey Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus in a team meeting? I mean we are only scratching the surface here!

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: June 21, 2015, 01:59:15 AM »

Seriously though we need to set up some kind of ethics committee here. How can wearing a cowboy hat to work in the state of Florida be +1? or dressing as Rambo to hunt rabbits be +1? Nah lads this is stupid. Did I mention he will only wear Wrangler jeans? Did I mention he got his staff line dancing to Achey Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus in a team meeting? I mean we are only scratching the surface here!

You're doing yourself out of the win here....

Boots are cool, hat is cool, ive just been to a line dancing bar in vegas and im in for those girls, esp over average UK competition, he hunts? Meh....

Pages: 1 ... 453 454 455 456 [457] 458 459 460 461 ... 599 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: