blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Best In The Business
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 ... 599 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Best In The Business  (Read 1416338 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: October 31, 2011, 03:25:44 PM »

There is no argument- Flushy is the biggest buyer on blonde, and he owns the site. This isnt someone advertising on facebook, its someone using HIS site for their own commercial gain- he is ALLOWING them to do this so therefore

If he wants to write an opinion he can.

If he wants to post pictures of someone getting gang raped by a gaggle of silver backed apes he can.

Agree with the first part, but the second part basically says he can post whatever he likes, which isnt the case.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 31, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »

of course he can post what he likes. He owns the site

whether thats wise or not commercially and personally is obv different story. But he literally CAN post what he likes if he owns the site
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: October 31, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »

of course he can post what he likes. He owns the site

whether thats wise or not commercially and personally is obv different story. But he literally CAN post what he likes if he owns the site

No he cant. He has the same posting rights as any other member really.

If he were to post a thread entitled 'Fuck the Greeks' with a bunch of racist spiel he'd be banned like anyone else. He'd still own the site but he'd be banned.

Obv the mods are gonna show more leniency towards Flushy than a regular poster as he's the owner, but saying he can post whatever he likes is untrue.

@GreekStein on twitter.

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 31, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »

Can we stop the flushy argument and discuss the staking argument? Tongue

lots of heroes itt though <3

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 31, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »

Theres 2 types of flaming- people that flame someone selling at high markup, all put "lol 1.3 what a joke" etc- they have no interest in buying therefore its just wrong. The second type is the Flushy example- he might say its high but if the player moved the price down he would be the first to buy the lot. Therefore its just negotiations, so its fine. The only argument is how the whole thing should be conducted, obviously in a perfect world it would be in private and still allow the player to try and sell at the higher rate

Its not really interesting and has been argued to death on 2+2 anyway
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: October 31, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »

Out of interest Dubai, how do you decide on your mark ups in tournaments? I know you use specific markups, but can't really remember the range of them. iirc its something like 1.32, or 1.44 etc. Do you do a general amrkup then round it up/down so that people pay full numbers like $1k for 10% instead of 996 etc.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 31, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »

And how do you decide on the 1.3, 1.2 etc.

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 31, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »

How do you say a guy is charging too much though when you'll never know his roi in a tourney?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: October 31, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »

Same as saying a team is the wrong price in a bet. Just an opinion

I just try and pick the highest number i think that will sell. Which is what all sellers do i assume. I mean why sell 1.15 when u can at 1.2 etc

Whether or not im value is just an opinion anyway
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1134 on: October 31, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »

And how do you decide on the 1.3, 1.2 etc.

Dubai judges himself against the market. He'll see that Paul Zimbler is selling at 1.6 and think 'Paul has twice as much of an edge at MTTs as me so I will sell at 1.3'
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: October 31, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »

Id love to say its some scientific formula but its just really basic business, which is to get as much as u can for the product you are selling.

I think my expected roi is always way higher than i sell anyway, which imo makes it a good buy for backers. But i know the limitations for what people generally pay so try to reach the upper end of them. Making it good business for both
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: October 31, 2011, 04:00:23 PM »

So should someone be saying 'you're charging too much' like it's fact?

Should I be going into threads telling people they should charge more?

Isn't it better to discuss with the seller in private?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: October 31, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »

Some people are better judges than others, therefore their opinion is going to be more accurate than others. Its obviously better to discuss in private but as long as its productive theres nothing wrong with it on threads.

I mean if someone replies, think 1.2 is too high. If you lower it to 1.1 il take the lot, thats fine imo. People can then decide to take the 1.2 or not knowing the player is assured to sell out at 1.1

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: October 31, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »

So should someone be saying 'you're charging too much' like it's fact?

Should I be going into threads telling people they should charge more?

Isn't it better to discuss with the seller in private?

Theres loads of examples of people underselling themselves because they dont want to risk not selling and being embarrased etc-
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: October 31, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »

I think the article's argument is basically wrong and its justification is pretty half-arsed. Yes, we say that the buyer should beware, but we don't say that the buyer should be ignorant.

In general, an efficient market is a good thing. Efficiency is pretty hard to achieve though in the market for stakes in poker players, since it's so hard to even estimate anyone's true ROI, and since liquidity is so low. Opinions of well-informed people are therefore relatively even more valuable than in any other financial or commodity market, where such opinions are constantly sought.

Looking at the author's example - no, we shouldn't worry about someone buying a brand of crisps rather than supermarket's own, because the prices of those commodities have been set in a highly liquid market that has effectively already taken into account thousands of opinions and judgments to arrive at a "correct" price.

And in any case, if we did disagree with someone's choice of crisps - would the author actually argue that there's some reason we shouldn't express that opinion? I very much doubt it.

I also don't much like the implication that because the seller has worked hard to build up his name on TV etc, he should be rewarded for that effort by being able to sell at a higher price. This is a bit like suggesting that because a con man is clever and puts a lot of effort into his scams then he deserves what he gains.

I don't think the article sets out to say this, but it is the implication. And in any case, the intention - to say that he has a 'brand' that others don't have and that is worth something - is also flawed. There can be some intrinsic value in a brand, in that, for example, people will actually enjoy the branded crisps more than the unbranded ones. The staking thing is different though - you don't get to consume or use or own anything. It's just an investment.

So actually a good comparison would be with an investment fund. If investment fund A has good recent results and charges fees of 1% and fund B has poor results and charges 50%, is the author really saying that people who know about investment funds shouldn't point this out on internet forums, because fund B has advertised a lot on TV? I don't think so.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 ... 599 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: