blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:55:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  ronnie`s latest 147
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ronnie`s latest 147  (Read 16915 times)
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2010, 03:22:30 PM »

Cant be arsed going into it but I just don't rate it. Just as I dont compare the winner of the 25 metre handgun shooting gold medal (or whatever the event is) at the olympics with Usain Bolt's WR 200m run. It's not even close imo.

Not all "sports" are equal - I just find the comparison to Phil Taylor pretty funny.

if you reread his post you will see that he doesn't say the sports are equal, he says if Ronnie's commitment level matched Taylors.

Taylor practices for 8 hours a day every day for 20 years! His desire and passion to win and be successful is far greater than any other sports person on the planet!

Ronnie's doesn't bother practicing, and doesn't care if he wins or hits centuries or 147's

This was the comparison that was made about the two personalities

He went on to imply that about the sports after.

Ronnie's commitment level isn't close to the bloke down my market who sells bananas but I would rather achieve what Ronnie has done in snooker than being the best banana seller in town, plus he's not the role model I'd base my commitment on either.

No he isn't.

I agree with this bit.

Yes - which I find amusing.

henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »

Snooker = a sport.

Darts = a game.

Source: wikipedia!!

Seems obvious to me tho. Snooker requires you to be physically fit and is competitive in the sense you're playing against another player. It's also a game that requires a lot of skill. Darts doesn't require the same level of fitness and is just two people taking turns to throw darts at a board. I'm not denying that to get good at darts requires skill but it's not in the same league.

Calling darts a sport is a bit like trying to call Counter-Strike a sport because there's professional leagues for it.

Bill Werbeniuk was world number 8 and reached the quarters at the world champs 4 times. I very much doubt he was physically fit in anyones language.

Sandy

Think people need to consider what the word 'fit' means.  Pretty much means 'suitable for purpose', and that's why you can be fit to play darts when you might struggle a little at the decathlon.  The same way as Gebrselassie is one of the best long-distance runners of all time, but he'd be pretty naff at weightlifting or the shot-putt. 

Think some people need to consider reading lessons.

Sandy
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »

Snooker = a sport.

Darts = a game.

Seems obvious to me tho. Snooker requires you to be physically fit and is competitive in the sense you're playing against another player. It's also a game that requires a lot of skill. Darts doesn't require the same level of fitness and is just two people taking turns to throw darts at a board. I'm not denying that to get good at darts requires skill but it's not in the same league.

Calling darts a sport is a bit like trying to call Counter-Strike a sport because there's professional leagues for it.

Bill Werbeniuk was world number 8 and reached the quarters at the world champs 4 times. I very much doubt he was physically fit in anyones language.

Sandy

Think people need to consider what the word 'fit' means.  Pretty much means 'suitable for purpose', and that's why you can be fit to play darts when you might struggle a little at the decathlon.  The same way as Gebrselassie is one of the best long-distance runners of all time, but he'd be pretty naff at weightlifting or the shot-putt. 

Sandy
So the bloke was unfit and didn't win anything and that proves you don't have to be fit to play snooker?
henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2010, 06:16:32 PM »

He has a world cup winners medal to his name as well as a title or two.

Sandy
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »

I watched stephen lee beat nigel bond last night. sportsman he ain't

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2010, 06:56:07 PM »

id like to see anyone on here disrespcting darts players throw 501 in 12 darts - from 10 attempts

Ive done this, but im a big fan of darts

just wanted to post my feat

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
stonecoldkiller

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2010, 11:27:39 PM »

id like to see anyone on here disrespcting darts players throw 501 in 12 darts - from 10 attempts

Ton plus 3 dart average imo.
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2010, 03:39:38 AM »

Ton plus 3 dart average imo.

125+ avg

I was usually about 50-60 when i used to play a lot.

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2010, 05:20:11 AM »

I threw a 180 at Darts once!

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2010, 07:47:05 AM »

I threw a 180 at Darts once!

In how many darts, 26?

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »

Mrs Red asks: Is motor racing a sport?

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2010, 09:53:24 AM »

Snooker = a sport.

Darts = a game.

Sandy

Sandy

Yes, I read it.  Physically fit = physically suited for purpose.  My post still stands.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »

Are sumo wrestlers fit?

Is sumo wrestling a sport?

Can the average sumo wrestler eat more hot dogs than the average snooker player?

Interesting one Sumo.  They train with more dedication that most sports people.  They live in a 'heya' - a stable for want of a better word, where they eat, sleep and train almost everyday.  Some are exceptionally agile, supple and tremendously strong.  Of course, they're also fat bastards.  But that's part of being 'fit' for the sport.  The bigger the bulk, the harder they are to shift, and the more momentum they produce during an attack - simple physics.  Obviously, without technique this weight won't help.  Part of their training is to eat huge amounts of food - chicken being a main part of their diet.  If you look at the young sumo coming through the amateur ranks, they're often tall and relatively 'trim' blokes - often with a judo, karate or MMA background.  As they progress in their career they 'bulk up'. 

They're definitely sportsmen.  I'd also back the sumo to eat more hot dogs than the average snooker player, but probably back the snooker player to do more coke.

I don't reckon many sumo would be great at the 1,500m though.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »

Mrs Red asks: Is motor racing a sport?

It is, and I'm sure that all F1 drivers are very fit as I believe it's very physically demanding to drive an F1 car.  As an aside, how fit does a jockey have to be?  I know they need to keep their weight down, but how strong and fit do you need to be to drive a horse?  Is Laz around to answer this one?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »

Motor racing is a sport. Yes they need a car, and yes technology means that driver aids have diluted the purity of that sport, but its a sport

Horse racing, jockeys are phenomenally fit, imo.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: