blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:52:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  ronnie`s latest 147
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ronnie`s latest 147  (Read 16962 times)
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2010, 12:05:02 AM »

Hadn't seen this before  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_MTB6SmKew

He's just so good.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2010, 12:13:47 AM »

I think what Baron is saying is that there is a spectrum to the difficulty/atheleticness of different sports, for example:

Boxing>>>>>>>rugby>>>>>>>football>>>>>>>>>tennis>>>>>>>arm wrestling>>>>>>>>>snooker>>>>>>>>darts>>>>>>>>>>scratching your arse>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>poker

But what Guy is saying is that the difference between snooker and darts, relative to this spectrum, is marginal

Boxing>>>>>>>rugby>>>>>>>football>>>>>>>>>tennis>>>>>>>arm wrestling>>>>>>>>>snooker/darts>>>>>>>>>>scratching your arse>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>poker

Which I happen to agree with.

All the other sports are rough guesses, I might be wrong and footy might be tougher than rugger etc

fyp

Jeez that took some finding.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2010, 12:31:25 AM »

I would have thought Snooker, with it's considerable strategic elements, requires a lot more concentration endurance than darts.

Obesity and difficulty with concentration endurance are not unrelated, thusly there are not many snooker players at the top level who aren't physically fit.

I'm prepared to accept Snooker as a sport. Darts is a defo just a game, (unless one of those big bastards is in the same room as me, I don't want sat on)

Also a big difference in that in snooker (as in football/tennis/badminton/etc etc) you get to affect the situation faced by your opponent, whereas in darts you don't - your opponent just gets a go. Obviously they might be affected by your scoring, as they might in, say, ski-racing or something, but darts definitely lacks a major element of the direct competition associated with most of what I'd think of as proper sports.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2010, 12:44:33 AM »

Also a big difference in that in snooker (as in football/tennis/badminton/etc etc) you get to affect the situation faced by your opponent, whereas in darts you don't - your opponent just gets a go. Obviously they might be affected by your scoring, as they might in, say, ski-racing or something, but darts definitely lacks a major element of the direct competition associated with most of what I'd think of as proper sports.

by that definition you're dismissing all athletics field events, all track events run in lanes, swimming, archery, shooting, rowing, weightlifting, modern pentathlon, gymnastics, trampolining and all equestrian events. you've just decimated the summer olympics

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »

by that definition you're dismissing all athletics field events, all track events run in lanes, swimming, archery, shooting, rowing, weightlifting, modern pentathlon, gymnastics, trampolining and all equestrian events. you've just decimated the summer olympics

Moskvich's post said that the lack of direct competition is a factor. Most of what

By what definition? Plz highlight

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2010, 01:25:59 AM »

not getting to affect the situation faced by your opponent, your opponent just gets a go (though sometimes that go is at the same time as yours). that definition

just realised it also gets rid of synchronised swimming so I'm all for it. moskvich for olympic sports selecting czar

Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »

Yeah pretty much. But then it is called the Olympic Games...

Obviously there's a load of overlap between what we consider sports and games, and I'm not really going to try and argue a conclusive case that snooker is a sport and darts is a game. All I was really saying is that if you're trying to class them as a sport or not a sport then you can differentiate between them in aspects other than simply the required physical skill and/or number of pints needed to hit peak performance.

That said, I personally would prefer to say that the events you list are examples of sporting events or activities rather than genuine sports (with an invisible big 'S'). (That's apart from the modern pentathlon of course, which is in its own category, being 20% sport and 80% random competitive athletic activity).

Actually, for what it's worth, I don't really think any actual sports, by my arrogant personal definition, should be in the Olympics anyway. Pretty sure it's supposed to be about 'faster higher stronger', not 'best able to manipulate a shuttlecock within the confines of an artificial set of rules drawn up by some people who were no good at any other sports so decided to play badminton instead'.
Moskvich

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2010, 01:47:46 AM »

not getting to affect the situation faced by your opponent, your opponent just gets a go (though sometimes that go is at the same time as yours). that definition

just realised it also gets rid of synchronised swimming so I'm all for it. moskvich for olympic sports selecting czar

Well, am not sure we agree on the reasoning, but yes, obviously it's got to go by any criteria. Thanks for your support.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2010, 01:49:17 AM »

moskvich for olympic sports selecting czar

+1

Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2010, 01:52:22 AM »

Snooker = a sport.

Darts = a game.

Source: wikipedia!!

Seems obvious to me tho. Snooker requires you to be physically fit and is competitive in the sense you're playing against another player. It's also a game that requires a lot of skill. Darts doesn't require the same level of fitness and is just two people taking turns to throw darts at a board. I'm not denying that to get good at darts requires skill but it's not in the same league.

Calling darts a sport is a bit like trying to call Counter-Strike a sport because there's professional leagues for it.

Blue text
RioRodent

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2010, 06:52:26 AM »

Snooker = a sport.

Darts = a game.

Seems obvious to me tho. Snooker requires you to be physically fit and is competitive in the sense you're playing against another player. It's also a game that requires a lot of skill. Darts doesn't require the same level of fitness and is just two people taking turns to throw darts at a board. I'm not denying that to get good at darts requires skill but it's not in the same league.

Calling darts a sport is a bit like trying to call Counter-Strike a sport because there's professional leagues for it.

Is Archery a sport or a game?

£10 to £10k Challenge

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2010, 08:13:56 AM »

Been thinking about this, here's my definition for what constitutes a sport.

It needs to be at least 100 years old, you need some method of quantifying who the best is at it, and the last 5 world champions (or at least two from the team if it's a team activity) need to be able to touch their toes.

Fulfill all those criteria and you're a sport. Congrats

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2010, 08:28:33 AM »

Snooker = a sport.

Darts = a game.

Bill Werbeniuk was world number 8 and reached the quarters at the world champs 4 times. I very much doubt he was physically fit in anyones language.

Sandy
ChipRich

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »

genius

Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »

Cant be arsed going into it but I just don't rate it. Just as I dont compare the winner of the 25 metre handgun shooting gold medal (or whatever the event is) at the olympics with Usain Bolt's WR 200m run. It's not even close imo.

Not all "sports" are equal - I just find the comparison to Phil Taylor pretty funny.

if you reread his post you will see that he doesn't say the sports are equal, he says if Ronnie's commitment level matched Taylors.

Taylor practices for 8 hours a day every day for 20 years! His desire and passion to win and be successful is far greater than any other sports person on the planet!

Ronnie's doesn't bother practicing, and doesn't care if he wins or hits centuries or 147's

This was the comparison that was made about the two personalities

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: