blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:26:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  christianity and poker
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: christianity and poker  (Read 15325 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 03:34:59 PM »

As the bible is the sole work that provides the moral framework of christianity - maybe some references should be found to determine where the big fella in the sky stands on gambling.

There are some very vague references that people often use as 'evidence' that gambling is bad, but there are far more that point to the idea that god likes a bit of a flutter:

Quote from: King James Bible
Numbers 26:52-56
    And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot.

Numbers 33:54
    Ye shall divide the land by lot.

Numbers 34:13
    And Moses commanded the children of Israel, saying, This is the land which ye shall inherit by lot.

Joshua 14:2
    By lot was their inheritance, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses.

Joshua 18:6
    Ye shall therefore describe the land into seven parts, and bring the description hither to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the LORD our God.

Joshua 19:51
    These are the inheritances, which Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel, divided for an inheritance by lot in Shiloh before the LORD.

Joshua 21:8
    And the children of Israel gave by lot unto the Levites these cities with their suburbs, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses.

1 Samuel 10:19-21
    Ye have said ... set a king over us. Now therefore present yourselves before the LORD by your tribes ... When Samuel had caused all the tribes of Israel to come near, the tribe of Benjamin was taken. When he had caused the tribe of Benjamin to come near by their families, the family of Matri was taken, and Saul the son of Kish was taken.

1 Chronicles 26:13-14
    And they cast lots, as well the small as the great, according to the house of their fathers, for every gate. And the lot eastward fell to Shelemiah. Then for Zechariah his son, a wise counsellor, they cast lots; and his lot came out northward.

Nehemiah 10:34
    And we cast the lots among the priests, the Levites, and the people, for the wood offering, to bring it into the house of our God.

Acts 1:23-26
    And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen.... And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:37:06 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
china mug

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »

i think you may find that the roman guards casting lots for jesuses robes while he was on the cross could have provided grounds for him to be a bit peeved with all gamblers,   just have to hope jesus realises that the decendants of the romans are todays italians and its them he should be sending a abundance of bad beat horrors to ,with a sprinkleing of miss deals when they have the nuts
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »

i think you may find that the roman guards casting lots for jesuses robes while he was on the cross could have provided grounds for him to be a bit peeved with all gamblers,   just have to hope jesus realises that the decendants of the romans are todays italians and its them he should be sending a abundance of bad beat horrors to ,with a sprinkleing of miss deals when they have the nuts

Quote from: King James again
John 19:23-24
    Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments ... and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

Yes, that's the bit that's often used - but surely if the idea that Romans are bad and they gambled, and therefore gambling's a bad thing, falls down when read alongside the other examples of god and his peeps gambling?  Surely the bible and christianity can't contradict itself?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »

tbh if you're living your life based on one of the best selling novels of all time theres probably more wrong with you than the fact that you like to play poker

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »

tbh if you're living your life based on one of the best selling novels of all time theres probably more wrong with you than the fact that you like to play poker

Would Jesus 5-bet shove with air?

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »

Game selection is the real issue here imo, avoid the superusers

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »

Proverbs 22:26
“Don’t gamble on the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, hocking your house against a lucky chance. The time will come when you have to pay up; you’ll be left with nothing but the shirt on your back.”

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »

Proverbs 22:27
"Slageth off ye not DTD lest ye be banished"

The older I get, the better I was.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 04:20:21 PM »

Would Jesus 5-bet shove with air?

and if he did, would he leave any witnessed?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 04:25:41 PM »

Jesus would easy beat any field. He would turn the two cards he was dealt into 5000 and have a huuuuuge edge post flop.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »

Proverbs 22:27
"Slageth off ye not DTD lest ye be banished"

Sigh at skipping my religious studies classes and missing these pearls!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 04:35:31 PM »

Amen

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 06:47:48 PM »

This should settle it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knr7SUVkrPI

'Spanish Train' by Chris de Burgh

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »

Chris de Burgh

ban pls

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: