blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  christianity and poker
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: christianity and poker  (Read 15191 times)
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2010, 02:22:31 PM »

Levels upon levels right there!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2010, 10:56:15 PM »

I finally got around to asking my sister about this question.

She has the equivalent of a theology degree.

She says that the bible doesn't say anything specifically about not gambling, and that as mentioned before, God and others regularly use lots to decide things.

But it does warn against excess in a few places; and in one it says that just because it is possible to do something - it doesn't mean you should

Apparantly a phrase my nieces hear frequently is, "just because you can do something, doesn't mean it is wise to do it" (or along those lines)

Anyway, it's not particularly exciting and most of it isn't even new - but she's the only person I know who's knows God better than Kinboshi so I thought I'd find out what one of the 'official' views was.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2010, 11:03:04 PM »

I know a guy who's really in to religion and the meaning of the bible so I guess I could ask him for a definitive answer.

Unfortunately if I show even the slightest interest he'll try to recruit me so I'll just have to cope with not knowing.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2010, 11:25:12 PM »

I know a guy who's really in to religion and the meaning of the bible so I guess I could ask him for a definitive answer.

Unfortunately if I show even the slightest interest he'll try to recruit me so I'll just have to cope with not knowing.

I can ask the guys who always harass me outside the tube station to pop round and have a chat with you if you want

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
The-Crow
~*v*~ (_)? ~*v*~

loves SkyPoker

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »

In our village there's a Jehovah's Witness and I wished him " Happy Christmas "

He said he did not celebrate Christmas, he did not put up any decorations and did not give his children any presents

very Christian

Do they all feel that way

don't let all this stuff scare ya.  its all a bit of fun
The-Crow
~*v*~ (_)? ~*v*~

loves SkyPoker

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2010, 11:37:26 PM »

just googled the watchtower and they say

Holidays

Jehovah’s Witnesses are not allowed to celebrate Christmas, birthdays, Easter, Thanksgiving, or any other holidays, claiming they all have pagan roots.

Wow, wonder if Tikays a JW

don't let all this stuff scare ya.  its all a bit of fun
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »

She says that the bible doesn't say anything specifically about not gambling, and that as mentioned before, God and others regularly use lots to decide things.

But it does warn against excess in a few places; and in one it says that just because it is possible to do something - it doesn't mean you should

Apparantly a phrase my nieces hear frequently is, "just because you can do something, doesn't mean it is wise to do it" (or along those lines)

Anyway, it's not particularly exciting and most of it isn't even new - but she's the only person I know who's knows God better than Kinboshi so I thought I'd find out what one of the 'official' views was.

Still wonder how people can objectively study Theology and still believe in a particular god at the end of it.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »

Still wonder how people can objectively study Theology and still believe in a particular god at the end of it.

stfu bummer

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2010, 12:13:21 PM »

lol, well I don't know how objective the curriculum is for that 3 year course.

"... equivalent to a theology degree..."

Specifically it was the qualification you need to pass before you can become an officer in the Salvation Army -  it has the academic rigour of a degree but it is possible that it's not entirely balanced

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »

He said he did not celebrate Christmas, he did not put up any decorations and did not give his children any presents

very Christian

Apparently they only have limited room in their heaven....and get there by doing good deeds....sounds quite a competitive religion.....

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 01:12:13 PM »

very Christian

Apparently they only have limited room in their heaven....and get there by doing good deeds....sounds quite a competitive religion.....

Oh....they also don't allow blood transfusions

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »

Specifically it was the qualification you need to pass before you can become an officer in the Salvation Army -  it has the academic rigour of a degree but it is possible that it's not entirely balanced

Not much palaeontology on the syllabus then Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:59:27 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »

Not much palaeontology on the syllabus then Cheesy

Yes, exactly, it's basically a vocational qualification to become a minister.

btw that probably reveals my secret plan to get into heaven doesn't it?

I'm going to do and say as I like - then when I die I'm going to haunt her until she puts a good word in for me with the The Big Man; it's not what you know, it's who you know Grin

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »

Not sure if tikay will be able to help you then...

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »

Cheesy

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: