blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 07:10:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272886 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 1228 1229 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2582176 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #18360 on: July 12, 2015, 02:49:22 AM »

Any news?

LonOhRay

View Profile
« Reply #18361 on: July 12, 2015, 03:04:32 AM »

Had 420 30 minutes ago with blinds 4/8k
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18362 on: July 12, 2015, 03:33:02 AM »

I'm out! AK<QQ of Hastings

Was such a great start today as well, but even with a structure this great you're gonna have to play a big flip (esp on my table with him raising every hand!) and it just wasn't meant to be this time.

It's been such a thrilling run, it really has. And it's been so nice having the support of all you guys who posted, I really appreciate it. 

Off home tomorrow, I guess I've still lost for the trip but it's very minor if so, maybe even profit, no idea because of swaps etc.

I can't wait to get home now and see Victoria and my family. A long holiday awaits...

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #18363 on: July 12, 2015, 03:49:25 AM »

Pretty gutted for you.Great run though.
Have a good trip back.
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #18364 on: July 12, 2015, 03:57:31 AM »

Enjoy the holiday and well done on the deep run
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #18365 on: July 12, 2015, 04:35:08 AM »

Congrats on the run, and a shame there is no karma in that flip Sad

Have a safe trip home mate.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18366 on: July 12, 2015, 05:29:39 AM »

Bugger.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #18367 on: July 12, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »

rvjjrjgjigigiggg ul mate, he really is the most golden. one of the worst people to lose against.

good run.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
iangascoigne

Just getting started.

View Profile
« Reply #18368 on: July 12, 2015, 09:13:43 AM »

Great run Alex and thanks for taking the trouble to update and at least give your readers a bit of a sweat. I am sure you will have learned a few things on the trip which will only make you better in the long run. Have a safe journey home.

Father of Ed and Alice, grandfather to Toby. That is enough for anyone. Twitter @IanGas
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #18369 on: July 12, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »

Congrats on the run and cash, hope you got out of it once the totals are in
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18370 on: July 19, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »

My main event journey seems a distant memory now, and reading back here, there's some gaping holes in the story, and I definitely want to fill those so here's a more detailed report.

Days 1 and 2 were a grind that's for sure. I increase my stack by about 80% both days, over the course of 5 two hour levels. It was reasonable going, and was all very stress-free. Never risked much, was not even close to being all-in. I remember a spell of maybe 4 breaks in a row where I had a chip stack of 50-52k to report!

I bagged up 96k for day 3, with blinds 800/1600 going back. Checked the seat draw and saw my roommate Scott there. I knew our table would never break, and you literally never seem to see anyone get moved in the main event either. So I knew we'd be there all day together unless one of us busted.

I'm really familiar with playing with friends of course. I've spent countless hours in cash games with my closest mates so it's just part of the job to me now, though even other poker players don't understand our ruthless attitudes when playing against each other!

This was no £1/2 game though. The stakes were really high here, and today would be the day we make the money too. Neither of us wanted to be together, we will inevitably clash and it's going to be really horrible if it's fatal.

I had such a good start on this table. The first heater of the tournament for me in fact. I was probably 98% to cash at this point. Then an absolute catastrophe of events. Bad beat after bad beat, relentless sucking out and coolers against me. Half an hour of hell and my stack was obliterated. I was in bits.

I found myself for the first point in the tournament, below 50bbs, and not just below 50, below 20. And the timing was terrible too, we were about 60 off the money. With 1000 places paid, that's pretty damn close. Not the time you want to have a short stack.

I don't pretend to be an emotional robot, I care about things like this, and believe me when I tell you - If I'd not cashed in the main event, after the car crash of a trip it had been - I would've been absolutely gutted. I can remember most of my "nut low" moments in poker, and this definitely would've been a new low.

It's not even about the money. Don't get me wrong, $15k is a big mincash and a nice chunk of money, but it wouldn't affect my life in anyway. But at that point, it seemed the most important thing in the world. It would half save the trip, it would be great for morale, it would feel good for my backers, swapees etc, and looking back on the whole trip when I get back, see my family etc, it's something I can be proud of.

None of the above would ever affect how I played my hands. And when I looked down at two eights, with about 16 big blinds, in middle position, I knew I had to go all-in. I wasn't loving it, 60 off the money, you're supposed to fold some pretty strong hands in that spot, 88 is nearing the bottom of my range to shove there, but I knew I had to do it.

Scott asks for a count.

Is he just messing about? Making me sweat? Maybe he is stalling? I daren't look at him. Please fold.

"Call".

Fuck.

It was destined to happen. When I told him the seat draw, he said "That's not good. I've got a bad feeling about this".

Please be a flip, please be a flip....

He turns over .

Please win the flip, please win the flip.

I was in seat 9, and the way the dealer turns the cards, I had to stand up and lean over the table to see them. We wished each other good luck. Does he want to knock me out? Does he really want to win this flip? I knew I did. It meant more to me than him. He had 30bbs left.

The dealer dealt the flop. The index of the cards are so small, and my eyes aren't great. I could see two paint cards. I had to look closer to see whether the paint cards were a King or not.

. OK, not ideal, but better than a King...

Another paint card on the turn, shit!

Too many outs, this is too much. My heart is racing.

It was fucking hard to keep my cool and not react. I sat back down, nodded my head a little, then let out a huge sigh of relief. Even half a smile. I couldn't control it.

I've played plenty of pots for more $ equity than that in the past, but never reacted like I did there. I've never felt such a rush of adrenaline, tension and then that immense release when it was all over. I'll never forget that hand in all my life, I'm sure of it.

There were no more dramas after that point. Scott became short and shoved on two of my opens, I never had a hand to call him with though. We both made it into the money and went on to bag up OK stacks, less than average but both very happy.

On day 4 I was put on a TV table, on Brian Hastings' direct left. I could write more about him but I'll save it for another time. I played a big hand with him that I hope'll make it onto ESPN.

I 3bet him with three diamonds and he peeled Two Clubs, flop three clubs he checked, I checked. turn (cartwheels in my head) he bets, i call. River , he jams, I call.

I was buzzing at that point. Now I had a big stack again, at my peak for the tournament, the table was soft except for Brian and he was on my right. I picked up a few more hands afterwards too, including making a flush with two spades! (#redemption, finally) and peaked at around 450k iirc, at blinds 3/6k.

4/8k was to be my last level of the tournament though. I chipped down to 240k and got it in vs Brian in a standard AK vs QQ spot.

I won one crucial flip to get to this point, now I needed to win another to survive. It was probably the biggest coinflip of my life, worth 6 figures in equity easily.

He flopped me basically dead, Q52r and no miracles came.

I felt alright, definitely not gutted or upset like I would've been if I bubbled. Pretty deflated and disappointed I guess. What a chance that was. A tournament that happens once a year, to go deep in it, is really special. The atmosphere and buzz around this tournament is unlike any other, it's truly unique. I absolutely loved it. I renewed my vow to play this tournament every year until I die haha. I hope it's not too many years before I get a chance this good again.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:29:39 AM by cambridgealex » Logged

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18371 on: July 19, 2015, 09:44:50 AM »

That's a great piece, Alex, thanks.

Have you been "flat" since you got home? I know I have. CBA to do anything of substance. Today, a little better. Time I wrapped up my Vegas stories, refunds etc. Got up at 6am today & been replying to PM's & e-Mails since, think I am about 25% through the backlog.

Was great to chat with you in Vegas about non-poker matters - one of the lovely memories of a lovely trip.  

I wanted you (& Conky) to run deep in the Main so badly. You both did OK though, so can't complain. Conky showed great patience, & you both seemed in your element.

Next time, right?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18372 on: July 20, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »

That's a great piece, Alex, thanks.

Have you been "flat" since you got home? I know I have. CBA to do anything of substance. Today, a little better. Time I wrapped up my Vegas stories, refunds etc. Got up at 6am today & been replying to PM's & e-Mails since, think I am about 25% through the backlog.

Was great to chat with you in Vegas about non-poker matters - one of the lovely memories of a lovely trip. 

I wanted you (& Conky) to run deep in the Main so badly. You both did OK though, so can't complain. Conky showed great patience, & you both seemed in your element.

Next time, right?

Yeh, it's hard to motivate myself to play that's for sure. I had intended to have a break from poker anyway after playing so much in Vegas, but after losing on the trip, I don't feel I deserve it!

I've been in Riga for 5 days with Victoria and her family, which was great. Some fantastic traditions they have out there. It was her Mum's birthday and they had a big family gathering, at the start of which her Dad proposed a toast to his wife, wishing her happy birthday and saying some nice things about her, they toast with a shot of vodka. Cheers.

OK fair enough, I thought, I know they like their vodka.

Half an hour later, her uncle said a little piece, another shot.

Half an hour later, her grandfather said a few words, another one.

And so on, until everyone at the table has paid tribute to the birthday girl!

We had a great time. And on the other days we went to a sort of "Go Ape" thing called "Tarzan" which was great fun, mostly fairly tame and easy challenges, but the final course, was really fkn tough, a real physical challenge which got the heart racing. Went to an aqua park as well and saw a bit more of Riga in the summer. Lovely stuff.

Yesterday there was a big family gathering in Beaconsfield, halfway between Oxford and London, and we went to the Model village there, Bekonscot, which we went to when we were kids. Thankfully we had an excuse to go again, 2 year old second cousin, Hugo, who is an absolute delight. The thought and detail that goes into this model village is remarkable. And the sun was shining, it was a wonderful occasion. If any of you have young kids, you must take them - you'll all love it!

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.

On the schedule for the next few weeks is a few days of cash games in London until Friday, where I go on holiday with my Dad and brothers. For the first time in 7 years, not to the same Tuscan Villa! We're going slightly further south this year, more towards Umbria, to a new spot - so that should be good.

Then I've got DTD Deepstack, maybe UKIPT Bristol, UKPC Hiroller at DTD, then Barcelona for Estrella and EPT.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #18373 on: July 20, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »

more Victoria pics pls

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18374 on: July 20, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »

more Monika pics pls

fyp!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: 1 ... 1221 1222 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 1228 1229 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: