blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2544007 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »

Yikes, nice writing Alex, & great observational skills. This could be superb.

More please.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »

I returned home in September broke and feeling pretty low. I started Uni in October but before then got a job dealing for the WSOPE in London. I was staying with a mate so living expensives were going to pretty low, but I borrowed £200 from Hannah to get me by. I decided I needed £100 for food and transport and I could afford to lose the other £100 in a onetime spin-up at the Vic. I flopped a set. That gave me another £100. I sat with it in a 1/2game. I limped utg, young guy made it £13, old guy flatted on the button, I made it £51, young guy folds, old guy calls.   two hearts, I bet 65, He put me all in. I called. The board ran out    . My heart was on the floor I was gutted. How could I possibly win? The old guy proudly announces two pair, and flips   . I couldn’t believe it! For the rest of my spell in London I played 1/1 every day before work, crushed it, ran like god and coupled with my wages from the WSOPE - I had 3k to my name.

The WSOPE was incredible; I dealt to just about every famous TV pro; I dealt Durrrs opening match in the 10k HU shootout and to Phil Ivey on the final day of the main event (where I was completely out of it, due to playing at the Vic until 9am, and back for work at 12 doh). I dealt Chinese Poker to Mike Matusow. Him paying for me to get a massage whilst dealing was hilarious. Another highlight was dealing to Viktor Blom on the final 3tables of the main. He sure plays like Isildur1 and was thrilling to watch. He is also hilarious. After overbetting the pot on EVERY street and finally getting some guy to fold to an all-in shove on the river, he showed the bluff and said “much spew….much spew…many times you call there…many times Ace King….many times call….much spew”. He was always berating his own play and having some great banter with Roland De Wolfe.

I was extremely jealous for the lifestyle they all had, and left London inspired to make it there one day. I was keen to finish Uni however, by way of insurance. However the same problems cropped up again and it was clear very soon that Uni was not for me and I was never going to be able to get through 3 years of it. I wasn’t inspired by anything within the course, the lecturers, the students. I listened but all I was really thinking about was Vegas and the fuckin' Mirage. I was playing every night at Gala (I had to wait until December before I could play cash at DTD) and doing well. I dropped out mid October to the disappointment of my family and Hannah. They were supportive though and wanted me to be happy.

I was doing well in cash, but since those run of cashes before the summer; I hadn’t cashed in a single tournament. I was playing the £100 and £50 comps at DTD and I went about 20 tournaments without cashing (I did cash in one actually, a £10 rebuy at Gala where I ran like god. Great). After a bad downswing in December I was feeling pretty down again about things and was looking for ways out of it. I took a few 1/2 shots which went badly, I was down to about 2k in my roll. On the Saturday before Christmas, I played the £100 tournament on the Saturday of Monte Carlo weekend. In level  1, I found some guy who decided to bluff allin with 42 on an AQT3 rainbow board (having limped called UTG and called my flop bet) with absolutely no fold equity (I’d put 5k out of my 7k stack in on the turn) when I had top set. Things were going my way. I reached the money with a big stack. With 10 left, the other big stack at the table opened, I 3bet shoved 99 from the BB and he snapped with KK and held. I was gutted that it had happened again. The big score just seemed to keep eluding me. I was down to 10k at 3k/6k. I was allin next hand UTG with AQ and held 3 ways for a treble up. I found 22 the next hand and got it allin again vs ATo. He flopped the world, turned the uberworld, but 22 were still winning. I shouted out for a “brrrrrickkkk” and sure enough, an offsuit 4 rolled off on the river. I shoved the next two hands and took down the blinds. I was back up to average. I open shoved AThh and the guy who had the KK vs my 99 snapped with AK. I had a decent rail behind me now and the atmosphere was great. However I was in bad shape here and needed to bink. The Kxx flop pretty much killed me. The Q turn gave me a gutter and we were all cheering for the Jack ball. Even a few of the dealers that had finished their shifts were railing and cheering for the Jack. It rolled in sure enough and massive cheers and high fives ensued. All table etiquette was lost, I’m ashamed to say. I did get completely wrapped up in the moment – it was awesome. I think I went on to the final table with 450k, 45minutes after having 10k. We did a deal 4 ways; I was equal chip leader and got £3.9k.

It was not only a massive boost to my roll and confidence but just an amazing way to finish the year and head back home for Christmas. It was wicked having a rail behind me and it has inspired me to play tournaments far more often this year.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:04:22 AM by cambridgealex » Logged

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
T_Mar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »

Wow, saw your post asking Diary/Blog etc, and didn't really think it would be something I would follow  (Just another Diary etc) ...Amazing read so far though, am really interested in your story - which isn't like me tbh

Must of been really hard to break away from what was expected of you, I imagine there is quite a bit of 'hidden' pressure there from family / peer groups.

Fair play, for being true to yourself... Not always easy to do.

GL with the diary, and with the Poker obv.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »

Interesting read so far. I have a couple of questions. Feel free to not answer them if you think they seem a bit harsh or too personal. I ask as in some ways I have been in the same situation.

1) Do you have a job/income? Or do you rely on poker for all your income?

2) Do you think you are good enough at poker, and likely enough to be on the right side of variance, to make a living from it given your current roll? You say you envied the life style of some of the players at the WSOPE. And you've obviously had a few decent results over the last months. Do you not worry that the last few months have clouded your judgement as to what the life style really entails - especially if things go bad and you have a bad run. Tying this into the first question - is there a backup plan if it doesn't work out?

As I say, if you think that's a bit harsh/personal then feel free to tell me to f*ck off lol. I only ask as your life story doesn't seem too dissimilar to mine, and I found myself wondering a few years ago about doing poker for a living instead of university. I chose differently to you - my reservations about it were pretty much what I included in my question.

Blue text
roscopiko

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »

Excellent stuff so far.

shit @ poker since 1998
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »

Ever eaten caviar?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Rupert
:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »

Good read so far, will enjoy this!

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »

Ever eaten caviar?

you haven't?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »

'My very best friends at school rode horses, played croquet, studied Greek poetry, subscribed to the economist and sang Schubert songs together'

You massive ghayer. Ima rinse you when I next see you, and then I CHUNDERED EVERYWHERE ashahahahahah

VOMCANO!

Also tl;dr will have to do this reading in chunks.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »

You also seem to have missed out the sick amounts of amazing tuition that guy who felt sorry for you was giving you whilst you got given the stack with 52! You also have alot to learn if you wanna be a pro noobie !  thumbs up

You=

on a

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 02:25:09 AM »

You also seem to have missed out the sick amounts of amazing tuition that guy who felt sorry for you was giving you whilst you got given the stack with 52! You also have alot to learn if you wanna be a pro noobie !  thumbs up

You=

on a

[ ] one comp win = heater
why dont u just go reg for the wrong comp and take it down

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 02:28:10 AM »

i understand, you must be busy, what with all the cooking and ironing you do instead of your mum.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 02:34:31 AM »

i understand, you must be busy, what with all the cooking and ironing you do instead of your mum.

why would I eat my own dross when I can have quality food and all my laundry done. leaving the house to go shopping is such a hassle!

and your fish on heater sample size was winning the world at cash every night for 3 week + that tourny!

I've read it all now, poast more :p
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 02:56:05 AM »

why would I eat my own dross when I can have quality food and all my laundry done. leaving the house to go shopping is such a hassle!

and your fish on heater sample size was winning the world at cash every night for 3 week + that tourny!

I've read it all now, poast more :p

thank you sir, now you are done, I can continue.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »

Me!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 1316 Go Up Print