blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:37:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Diary Of A Fenland Punterer
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 63 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diary Of A Fenland Punterer  (Read 143262 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2011, 03:23:05 AM »

You see some of these IR prices flick up on betfair and think "WTF", but they're hard to catch most of the time.

Whoever laid 1000 about that McCoy winner at Warwick this afternoon is nuts. McCoy NEVER gives up. This was on a fancied runner in a small field race. Ridiculous. Serves him/them right really. Probably on-course boys.

Nearly chucked a few quid at him when he was around 20 down the back straight. It was around that time that he hit 1000. Who knows, might have got some of it. It's real split-second stuff. £33 or £44 at 1000? OK, thanks.

But I did manage to get matched on someone's fark up in the hunter chase at Thurles. Had place laid Viking Splash early at 2.16, then traded out for a no-loss at 7 mid-race. He never quite disappeared off the scene, though, and was closing in on the third going to the last. So I tried for £22 at 2 just to put twenty quid on the other side of the result. Those twenties and thirties add up over a day.

And it was matched. At 32! He finished third by a few lengths in the end. Someone had either clicked on the wrong horse or the lay side instead of the back side. For around £400. The other £380 was still not matched and still available when the market suspended. That layer got lucky really.

Had I not traded early I'd have tried for maybe £44, £66 or £88 over the last and got a lot more of it. Grass is always greener obv.

Looking back at today my two main results came because someone else had farked up, which is becoming more of a trend on betfair the last year or so. The favourite for the Thurles maiden hurdles was the Jigginstown Stud horse with the blue cap, not the one in the first colours. Someone obv didn't realise and kept wanting to place lay. Then the hunter chase incident. Job done. In two tinpot races at Thurles.

Why the peculiar amounts - £22, £44, £66, £88?

I know the answer to that!!

But will let Horneris tell you as he wants to be a smart arse

FMP

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Drain Alien
*** Drainy ***

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 30, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »

Choppy,
Have u got any dimez on MurrayDonk?

Tighty - 8th September 2015 - Oh FFS Drainy is back !!!!!!
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:46 AM »

A long time ago in a land far far away at a time when there were no electronic screens and the races were called by commentary, I used to mark up the odds in a betting shop in Leicester. It was steady work but I used to come home smelling of bleach because the wipe clean boards were all buggered and it was my job to listen to the feed and mark up the odds of the runners of all the race meetings and the dogs. It was particularly hard work on Boxing Day due to the volume of meetings.

Well working in a bookies does give one an insight to what we can call the "average punter". We had one specific chap who only bet in units of £500 and only on odds on favourites. Well to say some of these horses had less chance of winning than my beloved West Ham would be an understatement. This guy one day had lost in excess of £1500 which in 1979 was not an inconsiderable amount of money. He was angry and started to get violent, so my female manager asked me to remove him from the shop. Hah! So much for sexual equality even in the seventies!!!! Anyway I strolled up to this guy and calmly pointed out that the manageress had called the police, which she hadn't, and it would be better if he left before they got here. So chuntering away he left the shop.

As I left the shop that evening he was standing there with a baseball bat to cave my head in. Nice guy. I ran but it taught me a valuable lesson. Don't back on odds on favourites.
Now why do I recount this story to you? Well I don't get all this new fangled betting in running stuff and I never bet on horses anyway but I still like a bet once a year.
My particular forte is long odds trebles on sports. I wrote about a succesful outcome to a treble I had a couple of years ago and find myself in position C on another one. You  see I have as the first leg, the Green Bay Packers at 16-1. I also have a double on the other two parts which are both live. When I asked people at the G about the Packers they told me in no uncertain terms why they wouldn't win indoors and this was before the playoffs. I am quite looking forward to the superbowl!!!

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »

GLGLGLGL Snatty. I too remember Sir Donksalot pooh-poohing the idea of the Packers winning in the Georgia Dome. What were the other two legs for railing purposes? Leicester for the Heineken Cup obv and...?

Drainydonk, never bet on tennis any more. Did about ten years ago. Had my own 'tennis man'. But not now. Would never back the Scotch choker anyway, not until he actually does it.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Nico29

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »

Following yr advice on the posh game tonight v sheff weds.

The away side seem to be fans of goals galore as well, obv a clear nil nil now.

Anyways ive had a cheeky tenner on the unmatched score on betfair at 6.6 and the same on 5 or more goals in the game at 4-1, also a diver on 6 or more at 8-1.

Sweat ftw please!
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »

Don't worry about it being 0-0. We NEVER have 0-0s.

Sheff Wed are on a downward spiral at the moment. Should be fun. Just about to put on the mittens (can't buy gloves in the fens) and head up the A1.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »

Text in from one of my Eurovision buddies...

"See we have given up on the trusting British public. Blue to perform for UK in Eurovision and song already chosen"

Just sigh. Our mob has no idea what's needed to win the Eurovision these days.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2011, 07:08:15 PM »

Blue are quality.

Have all their albums.

Got the eurovision on lockdown imo.

Nico29

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 01, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »

Blue are quality.

Have all their albums.

Got the eurovision on lockdown imo.

Always thought you looked like a fan of blue album's...or shld that be vids?

Smiley
henrik777

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 01, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »

Anyways ive had a cheeky tenner on the unmatched score on betfair at 6.6 and the same on 5 or more goals in the game at 4-1, also a diver on 6 or more at 8-1.

Sweat ftw please!

Scoop. Not much of a sweat though !!!

Sandy
Nico29

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2011, 09:34:49 PM »

Sweat ftw please!

Scoop. Not much of a sweat though !!!

Sandy

Smallish sweat near end for the last part.

Smiley

Cheers chomps!
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2011, 10:01:44 PM »

Enjoy the game Choppy? Was it epic?

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2011, 10:20:43 PM »

Epic beyond belief.

For now, will allow myself a quick...

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-boooooooooooommmmmmmmmm!

Adrenalin should be out of my system by 4am roughly.

Freerolling on the same bet for the next five matches. Would be amazed if it doesn't rebink before the end of the fifth. Starting with Soton on Saturday probably.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:18:48 PM by Chompy » Logged

Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2011, 07:11:35 AM »

GLGLGLGL Snatty. I too remember Sir Donksalot pooh-poohing the idea of the Packers winning in the Georgia Dome. What were the other two legs for railing purposes? Leicester for the Heineken Cup obv and...?

Drainydonk, never bet on tennis any more. Did about ten years ago. Had my own 'tennis man'. But not now. Would never back the Scotch choker anyway, not until he actually does it.

Packers at 16's Tigers at 9's Leicester City for promotion at 12's...............oh come on lord just one more time

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »

Epic beyond belief.

For now, will allow myself a quick...

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-boooooooooooommmmmmmmmm!

Adrenalin should be out of my system by 4am roughly.

Freerolling on the same bet for the next five matches. Would be amazed if it doesn't rebink before the end of the fifth. Starting with Soton on Saturday probably.

Would it be possible to get a "walk up" ticket on the day Saturday?
Or does that sort of thing not happen any more in case I am a hooligan?

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 63 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: