blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:02:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272573 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 488614 times)
dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: April 29, 2014, 12:05:12 AM »

Many may find this a bold, even ridiculous statement, but I will be amazed if we don't finish top four next season, if not challenging for the title again. Obvs the signings we make will be influential but I really can't see United making as big a balls up of a season as they have done this year. The diminished quality of our squad is massively overstated imo....the biggest issue this year was the players not buying into the manager. Whether it's a big name Van Gaal etc or Giggs, I predict a dramatic improvement. This idea that we were lucky to win the league last year by just the 11 points and that it was solely down to the magic of Ferguson and weakness of the rest is nonsense. Fergie was a key factor but it's an insult to the players to suggest they weren't the key factor, a point Moyes missed when he repeatedly spoke of changes at the end of the season. A point the players no doubt did not miss.

Taking into account we're gonna be out of European competition, and with the 2-3 quality additions, we'll be right up there again next season.

I think if they have any sense though they should give Ferdinand and Evra one more year, even if they each only get 20-25 games. To lose Vidic and Ferdinand in the same season would be reckless, with Ferdinand's experience and tutoring ability still valuable assets. If we get Shaw then keeping Evra for one more year and rotating them would help Shaw's integration and keep some stability. Changing too much too soon rarely works, as we've seen at Tottenham.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: April 29, 2014, 12:09:09 AM »

Checked the prices on oddschecker and united are 2nd favs behind Liverpool for top 4 (ignoring chelski and Citeh) which is fair at this stage and the odds are close will be watching through the summer but if the RIGHT decisions are made united I guess will shorten espically if the fans like the ideas because the fan money is pretty big with united. As it is with the scouse!

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: April 29, 2014, 12:34:36 AM »

Man United are currently half the price of Arsenal to win the league next year and 4/7 to finish top 4 whilst Arsenal are 5/4.  I will lay anyone in this thread that wants to put their money where their mouth is 4/5 Man United to finish above Arsenal next season for up to a grand.  Settle up end of next season.

malt vinegar

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: May 01, 2014, 08:52:52 PM »

dunno i think arsenal will just plod on like they always do threatening to win it then threatening to come 5th and finishing 3rd or 4th - unless wenger jacks it in then they come 7th

liverpool could struggle more for top 4 - champions league disrupting things say drawing juventus , small squad, suarez on his bike, who knows what the balls up this season will have on them if they do blow it. then again they could win it keep suarez and spend a load of money!!

bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: May 01, 2014, 09:10:30 PM »

dunno i think arsenal will just plod on like they always do threatening to win it then threatening to come 5th and finishing 3rd or 4th - unless wenger jacks it in then they come 7th

liverpool could struggle more for top 4 - champions league disrupting things say drawing juventus , small squad, suarez on his bike, who knows what the balls up this season will have on them if they do blow it. then again they could win it keep suarez and spend a load of money!!

try reading that nonsense again. its ridiculous yet i i have heard it repeated from numerous people since sunday.

"who knows what the balls up this season will have on them".

liverpool losing a game against  chelsea , who have been consistently up there amongst the top of english football for the last few years is not remotely "ballsing up a season". that result will very possibly cost liverpool the title. still way beyond the expectations of last august.

if this season was a balls up, then i look forward to the next few years.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: May 01, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »

Don't see how Liverpool need to spend a tonne to win it next year. Prolly need to keep Suarez and give some serious consideration to the purchase of some centre backs that can defend, but that aside I don't see them spending huge this summer.

They will coast into top 4 along with city and Chelsea and leave Everton and Arsenal to fight it out for 4th.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: May 01, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »

Don't see how Liverpool need to spend a tonne to win it next year. Prolly need to keep Suarez and give some serious consideration to the purchase of some centre backs that can defend, but that aside I don't see them spending huge this summer.

They will coast into top 4 along with city and Chelsea and leave Everton and Arsenal to fight it out for 4th.

with the added pressure of European football plus a lot of there team going to the world cup they will struggle if they dont get some reinforcements.

Luckily we have cleverly

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: May 01, 2014, 10:23:21 PM »

"with the added pressure of European football plus a lot of there team going to the world cup they will struggle if they dont get some reinforcements."

in 2004/5 season liverpools team wasnt great to say the least. we finished 5th, 37 points behind chelsea.

and behind everton.

that season, with the "added pressure of european football lol",  we played, and beat , monaco,olympiakos, deportivo la coruna,bayer leverkusen,juventus,chelsea, and then ac milan in the champions league final in istanbul.

was it a very special experience?   yes of course it was.

did it make liverpool the best team in europe that season? no obviously not.

cup competitions , in any format, are a bit like a sit and go. you can be the worst player at the table and beat a few really good players and you are the champion. congratulations.

greece won the euro championships in 2004,playing against france , russia, spain,portugal x2, czech republic. pretty sure they were not best team in europe.

liverpool havent finished where they are in the league this year by luck. even if it does end up 2nd.

we are a fucking good team.

and we are back.

so get used to it.

regarding lots of liverpool players going to the world cup being detrimental, it is more than likely less than 5 hours of football which some of them wont even play. if it does go to the magical 9 hours i would argue that the any people that were a part of it would draw far more positives than negatives from the whole  experience.

i think being in the champions league can only be a  great thing for liverpool. vast majority of games are on your doorstep pretty much. play tuesday or wednesday with most prem kick offs on saturday afternoon. not to mention being able to attract top players to sign. dont see too many negatives.

europa league obviously very different for everton spurs etc going to ukraine and the arse end of nowhere every thursday night. does you no favours at all.

really hope utd scrape into it this year.

BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: May 01, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »

"with the added pressure of European football plus a lot of there team going to the world cup they will struggle if they dont get some reinforcements."

in 2004/5 season liverpools team wasnt great to say the least. we finished 5th, 37 points behind chelsea.

and behind everton.

that season, with the "added pressure of european football lol",  we played, and beat , monaco,olympiakos, deportivo la coruna,bayer leverkusen,juventus,chelsea, and then ac milan in the champions league final in istanbul.

was it a very special experience?   yes of course it was.

did it make liverpool the best team in europe that season? no obviously not.

cup competitions , in any format, are a bit like a sit and go. you can be the worst player at the table and beat a few really good players and you are the champion. congratulations.

greece won the euro championships in 2004,playing against france , russia, spain,portugal x2, czech republic. pretty sure they were not best team in europe.

liverpool havent finished where they are in the league this year by luck. even if it does end up 2nd.

we are a fucking good team.

and we are back.

so get used to it.

regarding lots of liverpool players going to the world cup being detrimental, it is more than likely less than 5 hours of football which some of them wont even play. if it does go to the magical 9 hours i would argue that the any people that were a part of it would draw far more positives than negatives from the whole  experience.

i think being in the champions league can only be a  great thing for liverpool. vast majority of games are on your doorstep pretty much. play tuesday or wednesday with most prem kick offs on saturday afternoon. not to mention being able to attract top players to sign. dont see too many negatives.

europa league obviously very different for everton spurs etc going to ukraine and the arse end of nowhere every thursday night. does you no favours at all.

really hope utd scrape into it this year.

This is the main point though miles off the pace in the prem, its so hard nowadays to fight on all fronts, almost impossible which is why i think liverpool will struggle for top 4 next year.

The reason the WC has such an effect is normally these players have there feet up on the beach instead there playing and training everyday in rio no matter how long they get on the pitch it has a massive effect

"ace high"

bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 01, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »

atletico madrid are well clear (4 points) of barca and  6 clear of real madrid with 3 games left.  also have got through to the champions league final. what price would you have laid that at the start of the season?

la liga has 38 games, same as premiership.

i dont know a lot about their squad but i reckon a lot of them may be going to the world cup next month.

you reckon atletico will suddenly struggle next year ?

me neither.

BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: May 01, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »

atletico madrid are well clear (4 points) of barca and  6 clear of real madrid with 3 games left.  also have got through to the champions league final. what price would you have laid that at the start of the season?

la liga has 38 games, same as premiership.

i dont know a lot about their squad but i reckon a lot of them may be going to the world cup next month.

you reckon atletico will suddenly struggle next year ?

me neither.

start of the season that probably was 300/1 poss more i would guess. Unbelievable achievement by them to crack madrid and barca, next year i wouldnt expect the same there will be some roastings at barca and madrid if atherlectic do the double. but you wont be getting 300/1 on them next year to win the champions league and la liga.

Also the Spanish league is slightly different with 2 (now 3) top teams and the drop off is quite quick after that. Which would make it an "easier" league that the prem. Although if Chelski or City were in that league i would reckon they would struggle to break the top 2/3 i would say that the top 7 in the premiership would not struggle to get a place in the top 4 in la liga.

"ace high"

bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: May 01, 2014, 10:58:33 PM »

if you  put chelsea , city or liverpool into that league i would be surprised if they didnt get top three to be honest.

dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: May 01, 2014, 11:02:46 PM »

I can see them struggling in the sense they'll be behind real and Barca next season, they've had the season of a lifetime and look likely to lose costa who is key to their pressing /aggressive strategy.

And yes, I can see Liverpool struggling next season too in comparison to this season. I'll bet most teams come up with a better way to manage their quick starts for example. I expect Chelsea to be very strong as they've effectively been handicapped this season without a consistent striker, United will vastly improve, and City will be there or thereabouts of course (they btw can rightly argue they're at the top to stay due to consistency over a few seasons, Liverpool haven't earnt that grading yet). Arsenal are consistently around the 3rd or 4th spot but injuries/squad improvements permitting I predict a stronger season from them, can't underestimate the loss of Ramsey and Walcott to the effectiveness of their strategy in the second half of the season.
In short, I actually fancy Chelsea or City next season for the title, with United, Arsenal and liverpool scrapping for 3rd and 4th. I might revise that if United spend £200m on the right players tho, ha.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: May 01, 2014, 11:20:59 PM »

200 million only gets you 4 or 5 players now

and united need about 16 or 17 to rebuild there squad

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: May 01, 2014, 11:26:09 PM »

200 million only gets you 4 or 5 players now

and united need about 16 or 17 to rebuild there squad

slight exaggeration but yeh 200 million gets you 4 top or 8 mediocre players probably. As proved with Liverpool this year to win the league you dont need a brilliant squad if your not in europe. Just some quality in your starting 11, 3/4 toptop players  and then 3/4 good back ups

"ace high"

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: