blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 489537 times)
dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: May 01, 2014, 11:30:08 PM »

One mismanaged season and suddenly our whole team is awful.... sigh.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: May 01, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »

Not whole team awful, but come on ffs even we beat you at Old Trafford and we are the worst team ever to have played in the EPL.

I also think people underestimate how golden Utd ran last year too. Was a bit perfect storm to win with that squad and really don't think you'd have won it this year (or even been that close) if Fergie was managing this year (assuming same squad, ofc SAF prolly can attract bigger players)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: May 01, 2014, 11:59:25 PM »

Not whole team awful, but come on ffs even we beat you at Old Trafford and we are the worst team ever to have played in the EPL.

I also think people underestimate how golden Utd ran last year too. Was a bit perfect storm to win with that squad and really don't think you'd have won it this year (or even been that close) if Fergie was managing this year (assuming same squad, ofc SAF prolly can attract bigger players)

Definitely this!

TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: May 02, 2014, 01:54:04 AM »

Definitely this!

I think United will be fine. I don't see Pool finishing ahead of them next year and shall be backing accordingly.
All this talk of £200m and 10+ players needed is way ott imo.

Break it down, what do they really need?
A left back certainly. A right back probably. Cover at centre half. A couple of midfielders.

They are okay up front (even overstocked) with RVP, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck. Their keeper is excellent and getting better with a decent back up.

If Van Gaal can get Kagawa to play, there is a world class midfielder right there. Mata is excellent, Januzaj can kick on. Carrick is still very decent.
Then assuming Fletcher and Giggs are gone, you've got Cleverly, Fellaini, Young, Valencia, Nani. All of those have been very decent Prem footballers in the past (bar maybe Cleverly) and are not old. If Van Gaal can re-invigorate them, they can be again.
Anyway, let's say he keeps any 2 and ships out 3, well there's some money in.

Pick up a couple of players from the relegated clubs, like Cardiff, for cheap.
Gary Medel as a midfield enforcer who can fill in in defence too. Stephen Caulker at centre half. Matthias Ginter is a young highly rated centre half at Freiburg that wouldn't cost the earth. Daley Blind is a Dutch international left back that Van Gaal might have influence over.
Whatever, we could list off all the hot transfer targets but when it comes down to it, I reckon Van Gaal might ship out about 5 players and bring in about 5 decent players, maybe with one marquee signing and the nett cost will leave plenty of change from £100m.

And United will be fine.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: May 02, 2014, 02:04:59 AM »

Cover at CB ? Who are the starters ?
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: May 02, 2014, 02:09:13 AM »

Cover at CB ? Who are the starters ?

prawn cocktail

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: May 02, 2014, 02:15:13 AM »

gary medel? Cheesy oh my i would love that!

caulker is just another smalling/jones imo

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: May 02, 2014, 02:45:55 AM »

Definitely this!

I think United will be fine. I don't see Pool finishing ahead of them next year and shall be backing accordingly.

A left back certainly. A right back probably. Cover at centre half. A couple of midfielders.

They are okay up front (even overstocked) with RVP, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck. Their keeper is excellent and getting better with a decent back up.

If Van Gaal can get Kagawa to play, there is a world class midfielder right there. Mata is excellent, Januzaj can kick on. Carrick is still very decent.
Then assuming Fletcher and Giggs are gone, you've got Cleverly, Fellaini, Young, Valencia, Nani. All of those have been very decent Prem footballers in the past (bar maybe Cleverly) and are not old. If Van Gaal can re-invigorate them, they can be again.

Gary Medel as a midfield enforcer who can fill in in defence too. Stephen Caulker at centre half. Matthias Ginter is a young highly rated centre half at Freiburg that wouldn't cost the earth. Daley Blind is a Dutch international left back that Van Gaal might have influence over.
Whatever, we could list off all the hot transfer targets but when it comes down to it, I reckon Van Gaal might ship out about 5 players and bring in about 5 decent players, maybe with one marquee signing and the nett cost will leave plenty of change from £100m.

And United will be fine.

There are a lot of if's in that post.  If LVG can get Kagawa playing, if Januzaj kicks on, if the list of players that were once decent can regain their form (and only really Nani was ever good at a team challenging for leagues).  Also agree that their biggest problem is at CB, not sure who you make the first choices in those positions are.  All of those if's are added to other if's like if this bunch of players will play for a disciplinarian like Van Gaal.

TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: May 02, 2014, 03:54:22 AM »

Definitely this!

And United will be fine.

There are a lot of if's in that post.  If LVG can get Kagawa playing, if Januzaj kicks on, if the list of players that were once decent can regain their form (and only really Nani was ever good at a team challenging for leagues).  Also agree that their biggest problem is at CB, not sure who you make the first choices in those positions are.  All of those if's are added to other if's like if this bunch of players will play for a disciplinarian like Van Gaal.

1st choice CBs are Jones, Smalling, Evans. They are all decent. Better than John '5 Prem league medals' O' Shea at least Smiley

Of course there are a lot of ifs. Nobody really knows at this stage. I'm throwing out a lot of hypotheticals obviously but my real point is that wholesale changes are both unlikely and, imo, unnecessary. At least to the extent that people are talking about. And the Glaziers are not going to throw £200m at this, no chance!

The way I laid it out, is really doing it on the cheap but I really can't see a 10 players out, 10 players in scenario. It won't work, ask Spurs. All of those players have Prem winners medals, it just needs tinkering.
Why wouldn't LVG get Kagawa playing? He's a world class player. Why wouldn't those other players regain their form? They all endured 1 nightmare, transition season. They are the same players, it's just a confidence issue.
And they WILL play for Van Gaal or it IS 10 players in, 10 players out Smiley

malt vinegar

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: May 02, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »

yeh more than likely about 8 squad players out

vidic maybe rio giggs evra and young gone will be a huge chunk of wages to be freed up

4 brought in left / right back center half and a midfielder. rafaels a fair enough right back hes just a crackpot so maybe another midfielder. if available i would take ashley cole at left for a year or 2 he might be sick of not playing at chelsea and he would only cost wages.

lvg will get the rest playing he knows his business

rumours are that woodward wants a big signing and hes sniffing around cavani who wont come cheap dont see the point of that unless they plan to get rid of rooney
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: May 02, 2014, 01:12:55 PM »

LVG is a class act no doubt

But he is a very very slow starter generally speaking.

If the younger players there that obviously have potential still but may have stalled a bit (imo) are willing to listen to and learn from lvg Man Utd could surprise a few next season

If infact it would be a surprise
malt vinegar

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: May 02, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »

didnt know he was a slow starter that could be a problem with him only rocking up after the world cup as it is
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: May 03, 2014, 01:11:34 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27264909

Possibly the most obvious statement ever made by a player in the history of football.  glgl ever starting another meaningful game for manure again fellaini!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: May 03, 2014, 02:32:02 AM »

Personally, I hope Fellaini gets a good run in the side next year.

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: May 03, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »

Dazzler you obviously know your stuff. But some of these players mentioned were thin. Kanga was world class? Smalling Jones and Evans?

I know without any tint LFC had a perfect storm this year. It's pretty clear Utd did last year? I think with LVG top 4 is on the cards but I would be amazed if Utd were there challenging at this stage next season.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: