blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:24:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 489911 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: December 27, 2017, 10:43:52 PM »

I'm sure there's some tongues in cheek here, but I'd have Jose a long way above Pep.

Pep is the one of the two who needs a bottomless budget or a squad that's already assembled for him.

Find it hard to understand the rationale for those choosing Pep over Jose.

Pep improves players.  De Bruyne and Sterling are miles ahead in performance from where they were before he arrived.  We may well never know if he can work on a budget, but the same can be said of Mourinho. 

I'm not saying he's a bad coach. Every top flight manager improves players. They're on millions a year to do that.

Jose has done it with a budget: Uniao de Leiria and Porto weren't rich clubs and punched well above their weight through his work, ideas and implementation.

He's done it with money and without money.

If I owned a midtable team, he'd be the first name I wanted without hesitation.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: December 27, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »

I'm sure there's some tongues in cheek here, but I'd have Jose a long way above Pep.

Pep is the one of the two who needs a bottomless budget or a squad that's already assembled for him.

This has to be a level right?

Pep cut his teeth bringing through a whole generation of Barcelona players who went on to arguably be the best group in the world.

His teams play beautiful football in the spirit it’s meant to be played in.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: December 27, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »

Pep cut his teeth bringing through a whole generation of Barcelona players who went on to arguably be the best group in the world.

It doesn't have to be the case that one is a genius and the other a charlatan. Both are very good.

I put Mourinho above Pep.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: December 27, 2017, 11:27:37 PM »

It doesn't have to be the case that one is a genius and the other a charlatan. Both are very good.

I put Mourinho above Pep.

If spurs needed a new manager tomorrow which one would you choose assuming both were equally available in fantasy land?  Surely you take Pep over Jose?  I think its a level as well.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: December 28, 2017, 12:17:48 AM »

Has to be a level!

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: December 28, 2017, 12:34:05 AM »

100% level.

No football fan on this planet can claim Maureen to be the superior manager over Pep.

Anyone who uses the excuse that Pep has spent £X is talking out their arse.

Best Bitter.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:31 AM »

I'd be really unhappy if any of the top 5 managers, bar one, were sought by arsenal. Can't stand the managers who want it all to be about them. Of the 4 look-at-me's, Pep is the least worst.

sola virtus nobilitat
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: December 28, 2017, 07:10:15 AM »

Pep improves players.  De Bruyne and Sterling are miles ahead in performance from where they were before he arrived.  We may well never know if he can work on a budget, but the same can be said of Mourinho. 

I'm not saying he's a bad coach. Every top flight manager improves players. They're on millions a year to do that.

Jose has done it with a budget: Uniao de Leiria and Porto weren't rich clubs and punched well above their weight through his work, ideas and implementation.

Walter Mazzari regressed a number of players at Watford.  I’m sure other clubs can list similar managers in the top flight to do so!  Put it this way, if Pep had joined Man Utd summer 2016 and Jose Man City and has the same budgets as were given, I don’t think Man Utd would be 15 points behind right now.  I’d go as far to say they would be on a par due to Pep’s impact.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: December 28, 2017, 07:16:35 AM »

100% level.

No football fan on this planet can claim Maureen to be the superior manager over Pep.

Oh stop being so melodramatic! It's not like I've said my favourite flavour of monster munch is roast beef! They're both good managers and coaches. Some people believe one is better; others the other.

As for who I'd want at spurs, it's tough because both build teams up and then leave. If Jose can persuade Bale to come back, he gets it.

If I were a mid table team fan, it'd be Jose in a heartbeat.

Thus is the Man United thread. Think it's ok to express a view that their manager is better than another team's.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: December 28, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »

Walter Mazzari regressed a number of players at Watford.  I’m sure other clubs can list similar managers in the top flight to do so!  Put it this way, if Pep had joined Man Utd summer 2016 and Jose Man City and has the same budgets as were given, I don’t think Man Utd would be 15 points behind right now.  I’d go as far to say they would be on a par due to Pep’s impact.

On your first point, if you're saying that some managers are overpaid and the likes of Tuchel, Anceotti, Pep, Sir Alex and Jose are (comparatively) underpaid, we have common ground. It's way too flat.

Pep has done very well at City, Barca and Bayern. Would Jose have been 15 points clear? There's surely an element of variance here: 17 wins in a row is a freak result, even in what might be a relatively weak league. Mancini's City dominated in the first half of 2010/11(?) too.

Personally, I choose Mourinho. That's all really.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: December 28, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »

On your first point, if you're saying that some managers are overpaid and the likes of Tuchel, Anceotti, Pep, Sir Alex and Jose are (comparatively) underpaid, we have common ground. It's way too flat.

Pep has done very well at City, Barca and Bayern. Would Jose have been 15 points clear? There's surely an element of variance here: 17 wins in a row is a freak result, even in what might be a relatively weak league. Mancini's City dominated in the first half of 2010/11(?) too.

Personally, I choose Mourinho. That's all really.

It’s the style though as well.  This current City team take opponents out of the equation.  Newcastle did not feel they could even attack at home last night.  Pep’s teams dominate a game in way a José team never can.  I’d be surprised if more than 10% of fans would take Mourinho over Pep.  But it’s just an opinion as you say.  Who would be better for Watford is an interesting question.  If I were a team with a decent flow of youth players like Spurs, Everton, Saints I would definitely take Pep.  For a Watford/WBA type team it is less clear cut.  Maybe Jose pragmatism wins the day.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: December 28, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »

I'm genuinely shocked that anyone would think that Jose would be a better option than Pep for any club. The argument that Pep has never done it at a smaller club is moot because he's never had a chance - and never will. What he has done is elevate every single big club he's been at to be the most successful they have ever been - see the winning runs each has racked up - playing a style of football that is the envy of every other club.

Whilst he's been successful, of the club's he's been at Jose has only really elevated Porto. Potentially you could argue Chelsea but their budget was so far beyond the rest of the league in that period that it would have been a failure if he'd not won the league. Indeed, whilst he's won trophies, he's also alienated players, staff and fans and generally has always left his clubs on a sore note.

No brainer for me.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: December 28, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »

I'm genuinely shocked that anyone would think that Jose would be a better option than Pep for any club. The argument that Pep has never done it at a smaller club is moot because he's never had a chance - and never will. What he has done is elevate every single big club he's been at to be the most successful they have ever been - see the winning runs each has racked up - playing a style of football that is the envy of every other club.

Whilst he's been successful, of the club's he's been at Jose has only really elevated Porto. Potentially you could argue Chelsea but their budget was so far beyond the rest of the league in that period that it would have been a failure if he'd not won the league. Indeed, whilst he's won trophies, he's also alienated players, staff and fans and generally has always left his clubs on a sore note.

No brainer for me.

Is the correct answer.

Best Bitter.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »

100% level.

Oh stop being so melodramatic! It's not like I've said my favourite flavour of monster munch is roast beef! They're both good managers and coaches. Some people believe one is better; others the other.

As for who I'd want at spurs, it's tough because both build teams up and then leave. If Jose can persuade Bale to come back, he gets it.

If I were a mid table team fan, it'd be Jose in a heartbeat.

Thus is the Man United thread. Think it's ok to express a view that their manager is better than another team's.

Roast Beef fan here Smiley

engy

View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: December 28, 2017, 04:45:44 PM »

No brainer for me.

With city's budget and squad could the same be said?  I think it would have been failure if city never won the league this season
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: